One gun for personal protection and target shooting, possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Will you be carrying it for self-defense, concealed?
    If NOT, then look at some all steel guns. Now, the problem is that most steel guns do not have fully ambi controls.
    1911s for example CAN have an ambi safety, but the rest is for right-handers. HOWEVER, I AM A LEFTY and I've adapted really well to operating the controls on these, usually with my trigger finger.
    The CZ 75 variants are also a solid choice - the stainless models and the omega models should have ambi safeties. (but only RH slide release, and mag release... which you can easily do with your LH trigger finger if needed). SOmeone else mentioned the slingshot method of loading/"cocking" the gun -- I agree, and this gets rid of the need to have a LH slide release.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Will you be carrying it for self-defense, concealed?
    If NOT, then look at some all steel guns. Now, the problem is that most steel guns do not have fully ambi controls.
    1911s for example CAN have an ambi safety, but the rest is for right-handers. HOWEVER, I AM A LEFTY and I've adapted really well to operating the controls on these, usually with my trigger finger.
    The CZ 75 variants are also a solid choice - the stainless models and the omega models should have ambi safeties. (but only RH slide release, and mag release... which you can easily do with your LH trigger finger if needed). SOmeone else mentioned the slingshot method of loading/"cocking" the gun -- I agree, and this gets rid of the need to have a LH slide release.

My wife is a lefty and has no problems operating her 1911 pistols. In fact I could make the argument that left handed people need to learn how to operate the "right handed" controls on pistols with their dominate hand. That is after all how most handguns are setup. It really is not that big of a deal.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My wife is a lefty and has no problems operating her 1911 pistols. In fact I could make the argument that left handed people need to learn how to operate the "right handed" controls on pistols with their dominate hand. That is after all how most handguns are setup. It really is not that big of a deal.

As a lefty I mostly agree. On guns with safeties I am definitely going ambi. You can't get high level performance making do with a righty safety shooting lefty. Can it be done? Sure. Should it? I say no. For most of the other guns we are talking about it really doesn't matter.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... HOWEVER, I AM A LEFTY and I've adapted really well to operating the controls on these, usually with my trigger finger.

And since this gun is partly for defense, and if you're the sort of person that thinks of certain scenarios, the ability to operate a right-handed "loaner," "battlefield pickup", etc. could come in pretty handy.

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    If you like plinking I don't think you can beat a 22. Cost wise anyway. Something to consider depending on how much your willing to spend on ammo that is depending on how much target shooting you really want to get in,

Sure that won't cover your self defense needs but considering what the realty of costs are it wouldn't hurt to consider it. And yes, you'll want to practice with whatever you determine to be your self defense weapon, but if your looking to plink a 22 is worth considering.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    FWIW...the mag release can be reversed on the Glock Gen 4 pistols. I rarely use the slide release since I prefer to slingshot the slide and there isn't a manual safety to be concerned with.

^^^ this.
    I dislike glock but, they work. Therefore I own 4 of them.
    The gen4 the mag release can easily be moved to the right side for left hand operation. Empty the mag, the slide locks back, drop mag insert full mag, pull and release slide, empty mag, repeat as necessary.
    Keep in mind that if you do this you can ONLY use gen 4 mags.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Depending on where you live I would go to a gun range with rental handguns and try out as many as I can. Do not overlook taking a NRA basic pistol course or a concealed carry course as well. Taking classes has made me a better shooter

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I was going to own only one gun and I wanted it for range time and defense(which I would), it would be a .357 revolver. Ambidextrous use, easy manual of arms, versatile cartridge, effective with both paper and gelatinous media.

It was mentioned above and I will second that a nice S&W or a Ruger would last you a lifetime.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I would recommend as others have as well, the 9mm.
    As a starting point...when you go to the range try the Glock and M&P during the same visit. Both are good guns, but you will notice the angle is different with them. Try them both without any idea of which you think you are going to like better, and see which feels better when you shoot. Holding in the hand is one thing, but it's different when you're pulling the trigger. After you find the one you like the most then compare other guns that you would consider to that gun and see which wins in the end.
    If you are only going to get one firearm then you want to make sure that you are very happy with it. Don't be in a hurry to make a purchase. As was mentioned earlier, you'll probably get more down the road.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Holding in the hand is one thing, but it's different when you're pulling the trigger.

This is so true. I found that out when trying in the store versus actually touching off a few rounds. I suppose one day I should try a Glock. :)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    ^^^ this.
    I dislike glock but, they work. Therefore I own 4 of them.
    The gen4 the mag release can easily be moved to the right side for left hand operation. Empty the mag, the slide locks back, drop mag insert full mag, pull and release slide, empty mag, repeat as necessary.
    Keep in mind that if you do this you can ONLY use gen 4 mags.

It took me a while to come around to glocks, but once you get the grip right you can shoot them very naturally just a matter of training, I kept coming back to them because I wanted to like the 34 and after 500 rounds I really like it. My thing is if you don't like Glock why would you stick with them with so many other viable options out there?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    It took me a while to come around to glocks, but once you get the grip right you can shoot them very naturally just a matter of training, I kept coming back to them because I wanted to like the 34 and after 500 rounds I really like it. My thing is if you don't like Glock why would you stick with them with so many other viable options out there?
    They fit a need. Sometimes they are the right tool for the job. I'm old school, and like 1911's or revolvers. But there's some places I don't want to carry one of my $1000+ 1911's, like when I'm out off roading in the mud, or hunting\fishing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As a lefty I mostly agree. On guns with safeties I am definitely going ambi. You can't get high level performance making do with a righty safety shooting lefty. Can it be done? Sure. Should it? I say no. For most of the other guns we are talking about it really doesn't matter.

Both of her 1911s have an ambi safety. That is a lefty requirement.

I did switch the magazine release for her on a Glock 42. More so it wasn't in the way then because she needed it switched.

Fit is importantant in a gun because it affects how a person interfaces with the trigger. That said I don't necessarily agree that you need to shoot a gun to determine which is more accurate. At least when comparing plastic guns like a Glock or M&P. Trust me they all shoot about the same. Just pick out what you think looks cool or feels good and learn to shoot it. Now custom 1911s or tuned up revolvers are a different sort of animal, but box stock Glocks are what they are.

Last edited:

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Lots of good info here so I won't add any gun recommendations (cough, Glock 19). If you are just getting one gun, don't go 380. It is more expensive to shoot than 9mm and does not perform as well.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a glock 17L what many would call glock's target pistol. It is not a carry gun. To me it is not a target gun. (Grip angle) I have done a couple of upgrades to get it to shoot better groups. Some trigger work. A barsto barrel with supported chamber. (Works very well and allows reloads to be shot). I am getting better with it but I don't use it as much as maybe I should.

Before the 22 ammo scare I always told people to first buy a 22 target pistol: browning buckmark target , ruger mark 2 target, hi standard victor sytle, browning challanger, smith model 41 ect. Use it to learn to shoot a pistol then get a carry piece. The ammo savings should be enough to pay for the carry piece in a few years if you shoot a lot.

Once the the basics of the handgun are learned on the 22 the learning curve on the carry piece should be less and training with it a bit easier on the pocket. Take what you have learned with the 22 apply it to the 9mm. (45 in my case)

i guess it it also depends on what target pistol means to you. I guess it also depends on what a carry pistol means to you. I good 4 inch smith model 66 or 19 in 38/357 would be the best trade off for both worlds but it still fits neither category in the true sense of the words as I see them.

Sorry a glock target pistol is like a VW NASCAR. VW makes a wonderful rally car. NASCAR does not go in the dirt, streets or jumps hills at the top of a curve. Glock target pistols. Hmmmm. The trigger itself would eliminate that. As others here explained it spongebob squarepants trigger.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Sig Line??

Glock and be done. End of thread.

My Glock never leaves my side. Friend of mine has been carrying same one for 23 years. Shoot the hell out of it and stuff it back down your pants.

"Shoot the hell out of it and stuff it back down your pants."

^^^This sounds like a PERFECT Sig line.....Bill.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    If you had asked for personal protection and plinking, which is casual range shooting (perhaps in your back yard if it's legal in your jurisdiction and you've got the space and a good backstop; read the laws and ordinances first), I'd recommend a .380 or 9mm, and if you're a lefty, one with ambi controls. Most have mag drops that can be reversed. If it doesn't have an ambi slide release, can you operate it with your index finger, which is what some lefty's do?

Some considerations. If you're looking at concealed carry, that and "target" shooting which implies tack driving and 25 yards through the same hole repeatedly can be incongruous as a concealed pistol is usually small with a short barrel. Not conducive to tack driving and they're typically snappier with sharper and more felt recoil as the pistol is significantly lighter. If it's for home defense, a longer, 5" barrel in a larger pistol has some advantages as its larger mass and longer length mitigates recoil, and increases accuracy. More amenable to target shooting as well. Finding a larger .380 ACP will limit you and using a 9mm in a larger pistol would be less expensive to shoot on the range as the ammo is generally cheaper.

John

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Gen 4 glock 19, swap the mag release to the right side and rock it! Isn't the fns9 compact fully ambi as well? I'd go glock though and then expand your interests down the road if funds allow.

Top Bottom