• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I am looking for a better-for-me option for my Lucid M7 Micro Dot (on my 300BLK). The current, OE, riser mount is lower 1/3 CoWitness, I prefer Absolute CoWitness (ACW). So, as far as picatinny style riser mounts, is UTG the only game in town??? (It can't be? Right!?) I saw that American Defense makes a QD riser, but it looks pretty low; lower than ACW. Does anyone know of an ACW riser mount that has a picatinny interface? QD capabilty is not a requirement.

Help me my INGO brethren! My Google-fu has failed me thus far! :ingo:

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'd have to look, but I don't think the M7 has the same base plate pattern. I really don't think the base is detachable, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The American Defense mount replaces the factory mount so it is removable. If the factory mount provides co-witness now, then the ADM mount will give you the same as well.
    Looks co-witness:
    1912529_721839921183321_50463584_n.jpg

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The American Defense mount replaces the factory mount so it is removable. If the factory mount provides co-witness now, then the ADM mount will give you the same as well.

Not always true. A Vortex Sparc and an Aimpoint Micro can use the same mount but an identical mount will not give the same height on one that it does on another.

If you have an American Defense absolute co-witness mount on your Aimpoint Micro and you then transfer that mount to a Vortex Sparc, you will now have a lower 1/3 co-witness. The Sparc is just built taller, even though the mount design is the same. I found this out after speaking to Vortex. I tried using a lower 1/3 mount on a Sparc and it was too high to even see the irons.

If the HD7 comes from the factory with a lower 1/3 mount, I highly doubt that switching to an American Defense mount will give you the absolute co-witness (which is actually lower than 1/3).

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Not always true. A Vortex Sparc and an Aimpoint Micro can use the same mount but an identical mount will not give the same height on one that it does on another.

If you have an American Defense absolute co-witness mount on your Aimpoint Micro and you then transfer that mount to a Vortex Sparc, you will now have a lower 1/3 co-witness. The Sparc is just built taller, even though the mount design is the same. I found this out after speaking to Vortex. I tried using a lower 1/3 mount on a Sparc and it was too high to even see the irons.

If the HD7 comes from the factory with a lower 1/3 mount, I highly doubt that switching to an American Defense mount will give you the absolute co-witness (which is actually lower than 1/3).

That is because the emitter of the SPARC is at the 6:00 position not because of being built taller. That is a major reason I got rid of mine(amongst others). This doesn't come into play with the HD7.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm a total AR noob, but anticipate having to figure out the cowitness options down the line. So, unable to help, I have questions - and I apologize if this is a thread-hijack.

Do you know what height you need for the riser to create the ACW? I mean, can you tell the height of the current riser, then figure out how much lower you need to go? (If the current setup is lower 1/3 cowitness, then lowering the riser will bring the reticle lower, which essentially "lifts" the front sight to the center of the reticle, right?)

If you know the golden measurement, you can find any riser that gets you there. Or I'm missing something. Equally possible. :)

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    That's the same ADS mount I was looking at earlier. It seems a little short at .6" at height. I know the medium UTG mounts ACW with a PA micro dot, and those are .83"... So, by my thinking, and again somone jump in if I need corrected, the .6" ADS mount will fall short on ACW.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I used a couple of risers from Leapers so that my AR scope mounted high enough on the rail that I had room for the MBUS rear sight. There are 3 different sizes, and without knowing what I do now, I went with the middle option. I could have cleared my MBUS with the shortest choice and kept my scope a bit lower. I'm OK with this setup, don't know if this might work for you?

198124.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Did a little research and that "stock" riser is 1.5" tall and the UTG you mentioned is 1" tall. That would make sense if you thought the .6" American Defense was too low. I think you need to look at 1" risers.

Edit - oops, .83" riser? Hmmmm.....

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ...aaaaand we've come full circle, hahaha. I know the UTG medium riser works. What I want to know is if anyone knows of a picatinny style riser that is close or equal to the height of the UTG Medium Riser OR Is UTG the only game in town for a picatinny riser at ACW height (~.83")?

Will the UTG riser work loose on my 300BLK? Or will it hold up? Do I put a medium quality (it's not an Aimpoint but it's not a Leapers) optic on a low quality riser and call it good, or do I just stick with the 1/3 CW mount the M7 came with? That's my dilema.

Don't take this as anger, it's not. 'A' for effort, fellas. 'A' for effort.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

I hear you. :)

Personally, I'll eventually go with ACW the cheapest possible way, which would be the UTG. It looks like we've all read the reviews, and it seems like it isn't a bad option.

Brownells had some .83" risers that didn't look too expensive.

I'd go for the ACW and see how it held up and report back to us. But, I don't have any money in it yet. :D

G'luck!

Edit - wait. I thought the UTG medium was 1"? Or do they round up?

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Medium-Pr..._sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P9T422DPKHYZPCM56EQ

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think I'd rather do without than mount a UTG riser to my optic. As you said, Lucid isn't an Aimpoint but it's not a Leapers either. Nothing more frustrating than constantly jacking with an optic because it's shifting zero.

On a side note, glad you have a 300 Blackout. I might have to give you a call when my AAC SDN-6 finally gets approved :yesway: I'd really like to shoot one suppressed before dropping a grand on an upper.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    FWIW, I have actually been impressed with the UTG Pro line. Ever since they started shifting production to the USA, their quality has gotten noticeably better. Based on the AR floating forend I installed on a buddies rifle last weekend, I am even going to go out on a limb and say they are a serious contender these days.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I think I'd rather do without than mount a UTG riser to my optic. As you said, Lucid isn't an Aimpoint but it's not a Leapers either. Nothing more frustrating than constantly jacking with an optic because it's shifting zero.

On a side note, glad you have a 300 Blackout. I might have to give you a call when my AAC SDN-6 finally gets approved :yesway: I'd really like to shoot one suppressed before dropping a grand on an upper.

I'm down. I'll have to load up some subsonic rounds. 300BLK Subs out of a suppressor are actually pretty impressive when it comes to DB reduction. I'd have to change out my FH to play, though.

I'm still going to hunt around for a suitable riser. Why can't Lucid just throw in a medium height riser with their optic? As they said in Beerfest, "It's fwustwating."

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    That is because the emitter of the SPARC is at the 6:00 position not because of being built taller. That is a major reason I got rid of mine(amongst others). This doesn't come into play with the HD7.

The Sparc is built taller. Regardless of the emitter, you couldn't see the irons.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom