• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steif

Sharpshooter
    Feb 8, 2009
    bp

Hi,
    The guy he bought it from might not have ever shot it...
    I run into a lot of people that have bought a black powder rifle or pistol just to have one. they never planned to shoot it or have no idea what it takes to shoot one.

And I just noticed it did not have a caliber marking, and Jukar made 45 and 50 caliber barrels, so it could be either one...

If it's a .45 I use .440 round ball with a .015 patch, I use T/C patches pre soaked in bore butter. but any brand dry lubed .015 patch will work fine. I have used the heavy 30 caliber cleaning patches and they work well also. depending upon the thickness sometimes I have to use 2 cleaning patches I just soak them in some bore butter on the cleaning patches if I use them. I heat bore butter up till liquid then soak them and let them dry. they are still messy, but that's part of the fun of black powder..lol..
    fffg or pyrodex P I prefer fffg but that's me.
    I would start out with 30 grains and maybe go to 35 grains for the best accuracy.
    I have heard of some that use a 454 round ball and no patch, but I have never tried that. It might work better, I don't know.
    Percussion caps, everyone has their favorites, but I have been happy with whatever I had at the time. you will probably need #11 caps.
    The only difference for a .50 will be a .490 round ball with patch.
    So the bottom line is
    .440 round ball
    .015 dry lubed patches
    FFFg black powder
    #11 Percussion caps.

Probably about $40-$50 worth of materials to get you shooting..lol..

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    So yesterday i bought this muzzle loading pistol from huawilso..
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/91291-muzzle_loader_pistol.html

From my research I have been able to find out that it takes a 45 cal (.445 diameter) round ball.

Where can I buy the necessary items to shoot this? I need the percussion caps, powder, wads, and balls. Also, how do I know how much and what kind of powder to use?
    If you want I can talk you through making some homemade white powder out of KNO3 and sugar. You will need to use about twice as much , but in a front stuffer like that you have room for lots of powder. You can make it for about $3/lb.

Top Bottom