• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Went and filled our taxes yesterday and just now the tax office calls and says someone is already using my wifes SSN on their taxes. Now gotta call the IRS and see if it was a typo or if we are dealing with identity theft! Who knows when we'll see our return now! Going to be a long day! :xmad::ar15:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Could be next year, or longer. Radley Balko had the same thing happen to him a couple of years ago and it's still, as far as I know, an ongoing thing. Good luck getting it cleared up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Daughters "X" boyfriend stole her ID and sold off her SS info. There were 3 people using it and it is still not totally cleared up. SS office is the laziest most inefficient group I have ever dealt with at least in this issue.
    It has been 6 yrs. and she is still struggling with this.
    Turns out 2 were illegals and 1 has moved out of state.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Well after 45 minutes of waiting on the phone to talk to the IRS we found out it wasn't a typo and is a case of identity theft. Now the bull**** and fun begins.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Extremely bad news. Sorry to hear it happened to you. NPR had a story on this earlier this week so it's happening to a lot of folks (if that's any consolation).

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    Wowo just had a story on this too... the tax guy they had on suggested you file as early as possible. They accept the first person to file with a SSN, all others have to protest. Then it takes multiple departments within the IRS to get it sorted because they do not talk to each other and takes months and months... if you are lucky... I'm sorry that sucks...

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    One of the (many) byproducts of the "undocumented worker" crisis (ie: illegal immigrants).

They need a SSN to take advantage of this country. It's either going to be a made up one (which will get them caught) or from dead Aunt Ginny or from you, me or Hoosier Cowboy.

(sorry to go off topic... but it's true)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Sad thing is a lot of employers don't care. Someone I know works for a big company and their HR department even knows of their employees turning up with fake SSN cards and then being told to get a new one, come back the next day with a brand new (with a new number) card.

Why don't all employers use eVerify? Us legal immigrants have to jump through bloody hoops to get hired and to get anything.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Why don't all employers use eVerify? Us legal immigrants have to jump through bloody hoops to get hired and to get anything.

x2!!!

My former employer got caught by corporate for having hired a couple of dozen illegals into the warehouse. When I lost my job, I was *this* close to calling the INS on them.

I worked my butt off to become a legal immigrant and now citizen, only to be losing jobs to the illegals. It makes me angry.

Top Bottom