Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Lol. Three different headlines and not one of them is correct. Two make it sound like the new bill will allow teachers to be armed, where they weren't before: in reality it's already allowed, they're just changing the prerequisites.

Then the second headline: "...bill to arm Ohio teachers..." Ha. It should read "Bill to Somewhat Reduce the Burdensome, Unconstitutional Infringements on Teachers' 2nd Amendment Rights to Defend Themselves and their Students".

Don't get me wrong, what the bill actually does is a good start, but it's far from "arming teachers."

Now, if they were actually doing what the second headline claims, and starting a program to provide teachers with firearms, THAT would send a clear message to would-be school shooters.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They have been able to be armed for several years. One of the gun people I follow(ed) a bit ran a training company in Ohio. They had a program especially for teachers.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I can't seem to find the company now as I think it has changed hands but I did find this from 2018.

Chris Cerino, a former law enforcement officer, now offers training to educators through his Cerino Consulting and Training Group. The program has taught 1,300 educators over five years. They spend 28 hours learning not just how to fire a gun but such things as ambush tactics, responding under stress, and treating wounds.

Students on occasion have left the class within the first few hours after realizing they're not cut out for it.

Cerino said teachers realize that the usual tactics taught in school — lockdowns and throwing books and other objects at a gunman — are simply "not going to stop a determined killer with a gun. And all that's going to do is delay in the inevitable."

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The bill Jim Lucas introduced a couple times was 40 hours of training, designed by instructors at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy.

728 hours, holy **** that’s over 18 weeks!! Are they training them for PIT maneuvers and pursuits??

Add this to the list of legislation to support next session.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Good for Ohio! This should help to make their schools safer.
    There will probably a lot of hand wringing from the left. Some parent may even take their children from school. Nothing is 100% dependable, but this better than staying in a locked room waiting to be harvested. Not every teacher will want to accept the responsibility, nor will they be forced to.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... 728 hours, holy **** that’s over 18 weeks ...

So currently the law in OH makes it technically possible for a teacher to carry, but practically impossible. I'd guess you could count the number of teachers in OH, willing to take 18 wks of training, and get board approval, on both hands. Maybe 1 hand. Heck, how many INGO members have taken 728 hours?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I appreciate getting more good guys with guns around our children. But I feel all proper persons should be allowed to participate in this training which would allow in/on-school property carry. I do, however, wonder what the response would be the first time one of these teachers snap and shoot students.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I appreciate getting more good guys with guns around our children. But I feel all proper persons should be allowed to participate in this training which would allow in/on-school property carry. I do, however, wonder what the response would be the first time one of these teachers snap and shoot students.
    I think it is Utah that does not forbid the carry of handguns on K-12 school property, on one's person, with the issuance of a carry permit.

To my knowledge, Utah has not had a shooting event in a K-12 school.

But I'm sure that's wholly coincidental.

Blessings,
    Bill

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Texas has About 1100 school districts, of which over 300 of them have adopted an “armed teachers” (meaning teachers, staff, administrators, but not
    law-enforcement personnel) with the vast majority based on the self-administered “guardian” program.

These are almost entirely small population districts away from the big cities. The larger richer ISD’s tend to have their own police forces.

Uvalde had their own school police force. I don’t know for sure but that almost certainly means they didn’t have armed teachers. Didn’t exactly work out well for them.

Big Naughty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Hendricks County
    I would like to see teachers armed with AR pistols with side folding braces for easy storage. Thermal optics, smoke grenades and flash bangs should also be an option. Ballistic helmets with good comms and obviously body armor should be a requirement as well.

I've been watching a lot of Garand Thumb lately, but I'm still being serious. I'd recommend suppressors if a gun muffler wasn't so ridiculously legislated.

Dcamp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2021
    Boone county
    My only fear on this is when LEO are breaching the building are they gonna take the time to identify teacher vs bad guy . I can see stress and tension at a extreme high and you see the principal with a plate carrier and AR and it's lights out . I do like the idea of a armed school with properly trained staff but I just see problems as well

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I would think armed teachers will be a real world deterrent to school shootings, more so than one armed police officer stationed in a school system. As it is now a shooter knows all they have to do is avoid the officer or take them out first and they will have free reign inside the school.
    I would have all teachers and appropriate staff be trained to defend their students. All should be trained but carrying should not be forced on any of them. This way only the teachers themselves know if they are carrying and any prospective shooter will only know all "could" be armed and ready to defend.
    Seems like the only people that scream about how awful it would be to have armed teachers are the ones that do not want any teachers armed. I would never want ALL teachers armed because I know teachers. and other who are not responsible enough to even own firearms. Jim.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My only fear on this is when LEO are breaching the building are they gonna take the time to identify teacher vs bad guy . I can see stress and tension at a extreme high and you see the principal with a plate carrier and AR and it's lights out . I do like the idea of a armed school with properly trained staff but I just see problems as well
    Life itself presents problems.
    Intelligence finds ways to mitigate the impact of issues, physical and mental.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

The coward school shooters will likely pick a gun free zone instead, or not do it at all. School shootings will be over with, for the most part, when there is real threat of being killed on the way in.

:twocents:

Top Bottom