• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AkshunJebus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Hi all... first post here. :)

I have an Ohio CHL. This weekend my wife and I will be making the trip to Turkey Run State Park via motorcycles. I was hoping you all could answer a couple questions for me.

handgunlaw.us says I will be able to legally have my gun in the state park... is this correct?

Also, is there a specific way I need to transport the gun while on a motorcycle in Indiana? I wasn't planning on wearing it for the 4 hour trip. I was going to pack it in a backpack that will be bungeed to the passenger seat. Is that ok?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You are good to carry at Turkey Run State Park. Has been verified with Indiana DNR and local employees are aware that it is legal (since 2006 I believe.)
    Your Ohio license is recognized in Indiana. I am unaware of any restrictions on motorcycle transport.
    Enjoy your trip! Turkey run is a nice area. I recommend the ladder trail!

1st post, huh? :welcome: to the forum!

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You'll find that Indiana is a very friendly gun state and recognizes all other states gun permits. It would be nice if Ohio had a reciprocal agreement with Indiana. Your new Governor over there seems to be very pro gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah...you can basically do "whatever you want" when you're here...

It's legal under Indiana law to open carry. However, I'm personally not sure if, while using your Ohio license, if you can follow OUR law regarding that, or if you must follow YOUR law.

You can transport your firearm any way you want to, too...worn, in a pack, on your back, and on and on...

What route are you taking to Turkey Run? If I were on a motorcycle, I'd take I-74 west to the SR 75/Jamestown/Advance exit and head south a few miles to Jamestown. Once there at the flashing light, go through it and you automatically end up on SR 234.

Take SR 234 west through Jamestown, and on to Ladoga. Go through there, too. (It's a scuzzy little town, don't bother stopping...hehe) Take 234 all the way until you intersect with SR 47. Take SR 47 south to Waveland, IN...and then further on to Turkey Run.

OR, if you want much more interstate driving, you can take I-74 all the way west until you get to US 41. You then take US 41 all the way south to SR 47. Turn north on SR 47 for a short distance, and you're at the park entrance.

I'd take the Jamestown to Ladoga to Waveland to Turkey Run route if I were making the trip, though.

Have a good trip!!

-J-

AkshunJebus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for the warm welcome all. My wife's family live in Northern Indiana. Her dad recently purchased his first handgun and we like to hit the ranges when were together, so I'll probably have more Indiana gun questions every now and then since he looks to me for the answers. :):

Indy_Guy, thanks for the route info. I am still looking for the best way for us to go. My wife has only been riding for a month or so, so I'd like to stay off the major highways as much as possible... they're boring anyway.

We're coming from Dayton so we have a 3 - 4 hour trip ahead of us, depending on the route. I'll definatley check out your route onthe maps!

Thanks again!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks for the warm welcome all. My wife's family live in Northern Indiana. Her dad recently purchased his first handgun and we like to hit the ranges when were together, so I'll probably have more Indiana gun questions every now and then since he looks to me for the answers. :):

You know... you could also tell him about us here and sign him up as a member. Alternatively, if you want to be his "gun guru"... :lmfao:

Blessings,
    B

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    By way of thanks you could stir up your legislators to reciprocate/recognize our licenses when you get back home. :-) It's the neighborly thing to do.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm willing to accept baby steps. Not long ago people in Ohio didn't have the right at all.
    In just the last year they got the ability to defend their homes (Castle doctrine.)

Little by little they are coming around.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I'm a member of OFCC (Ohioans for Concealed Carry). We had the candidates for AG at our Party in the Park a few weeks ago. The Independent candidate has a CHL, OC'ed at the picnic, and is also a member of OFCC. He said he would like to pattern the Ohio reciprocity after Alaska's.

I don't know if he will be able to pull that off, but if he gets the office I forsee your CHL's being valid in Ohio.:rockwoot:

AkshunJebus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    I can appreciate your pain on the recipricosity. We have so many laws that don't make sense (or are even down-right scary) for CCW over here. We were fortunate enough to get some cleaned up this year, but even they came with a price in some areas.

It truly does seem to be baby steps.

Are you able to use a PA or FL permit to carry in Ohio?

Top Bottom