Oh Puma 92's why do you keep tempting me?!?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For those of you who have a Rossi/Puma 92 you probably already understand the appeal of the rifle. To the rest of you, you just gotta try holding one of these rifles and you'll understand what all the fuss is about.

Ever since I bought my first Puma 92 I fell in love with the guns and wanted to have more than one. I know I can only hunt with one at a time, but still. Well every once in a while I'll go and look at what these rifles are selling for in todays market. Budsgunshop will deliver a brand new one to your FFL for less than $400. Not much less, but it's still such a reasonable price for such a great rifle.

I think I need the 16" stainless 92 in 44mag and all I could think was why are these light powerful rifles tempting me so much? I had to share the great deals budsgunshop is making on these rifles.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I unserstand, because the Duke can do NO WRONG! :rockwoot:

I've got a 24" octagon in .44-40. Stuff them cases with Goex FFg under a 200gn bullet and let the smoke & flames begin! I bought mine for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Besides, you can now hunt whitetail deer with them, and the '92 action is way strong.

Love the '92!

ol' poke

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I'm a member of the Puma club as well guys. Love all my levers but the Puma just feels better in the hand and points better.

I just wish they would lose the safety on the new ones.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have one of the pre safety models in .44 mag. 16 inch barrel and a big loop lever. It is a very fun gun and is pretty accurate. Get one, you will love it

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought my first one (20" stainless) as soon as I heard the laws had changed allowing pistol cartridge rifles legal for deer hunting. That's been almost three years ago now.

Shortly after taking a nice buck with that rifle I kept my eyes open for a good deal on another one and I found a Puma 44mag XP (removable feed tube like a 22lr) and bought it at a steal. My uncle liked the rifle so much he just had to have it so I sold it to him.

That left my original rifle all alone in the cabinet and I kept my eyes open for another one. I found a great deal on a 24" oct barrel with the case hardening on it. Right now that rifle is getting a ladder sight put on it at the local gunsmith and I can hardly wait to try that out. I'm hoping it turns into an old school looking longer range rifle, but with a modern pistol cartridge I can hunt with.

I really think I need one of those scout scoped rifles now, just for something different, but those 16" stainless models are just priced right.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Father in law got me a Brass .45LC and a stainless .357. Nice rifles, will be holding these for my boy when he get older. Not sure if my son will be able to remember his grandpa.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This Puma '92 love fest has gone on long enough without pics!

oldnewsmall.jpg

My Puma '92 starter collection:
    .357 Magnum - 20" Carbine Model
    .44 Magnum - 20" Scoped Scout Model

teddy12b - As a true believer in the Duke's favorite rifle, feel free to use this image as your avatar.
    truegritx.jpg

Last edited:

Gabby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Ellettsville
    I also truely enjoy my Puma 92 in .357. It's an older Interarms import, way pre safety. They are truly one of the most versatile rifles ever made.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I held one of those scoped scout models today on the way home. Those are so nice. I need to hit the lotto so I can just order one of everything they make in 44mag.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I bought a new SS Rossi in 44 mag a couple months back. Overall its a nice gun for the money, but the details in the finish aren't as nice as other more expense lever guns.

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been wanting one in .357/.38 for a while, preferably with the large loop lever. . . Pair it up with a nice wheel gun in the same caliber. . . Mmmmm, nice. :) Wish I had a pic of my own to add. Maybe one of these days. . . ;)

Last edited:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    As Teddy suggested, you just have to hold one of these to really appreciate them. Comparing them to a Marlin is a great case of apples and oranges. Even though my Marlins are great handling rifles, they just aren't as good in the hand as my Puma '92 feels.
    Now - I also agree that some are not as nicely finished. I sent mine off to get rehabbed by Steve Young. Gone is that horrible safety (isn't the hammer already a safety ??), and I have a good peep sight in place. Mine is the .454 and can really bark with full power loads. That said, reloading solves much of the problem and the thing is just wonderful. I still am amazed at how well I am able to shoot this rifle with the reciever sight - you really need to consider that over the standard sights.
    Anyway, can't say enough good things about how Mr. Browning designed this rifle. Get one and enjoy!
    IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

snake-doctor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Cumberland
    I've found my thread! I love lever actions, I really want one. Question to those who have them: How much kick does a 44 magnum LE have compared to say, a 12 gauge shotgun?

Thanks!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've found my thread! I love lever actions, I really want one. Question to those who have them: How much kick does a 44 magnum LE have compared to say, a 12 gauge shotgun?

Thanks!

A 12ga what?? A rifled or sabot slug feels like 2 or three times as much as a 44mag rifle. Recoil & ammunition cost were two huge factors in why I bought a 44mag. I reload my own 44mag's for about $0.20 or so per round compared to a $3 a shot sabot slug. My reloads get the accuracy of a sabot slug though and that makes it even better. The recoil is about half of a slug and maybe the same as cheapo birdshot.

Check this out as a reference to rifle recoil:
    Rifle Recoil Table

According to this table the recoil is about the same as a 30-30.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I really want to get one of these in 44 or 357. I also want a cut down pistol version of this rifle but they are just too much money right now. I'll be getting one of these rifles soon.

Top Bottom