• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The day after the Inauguration, I purchased a new CZ 75 B. Today, I finally got to the range to try it. I had heard good things about the CZ75 line of handguns and had decided to try it out.

Some first impressions: the gun can be fired in either single or double action. Racking the slide cocks the hammer for single action. Since this particular weapon does not have a decocker, I find double action of limited utility. I just don't like dropping the hammer on a loaded chamber except when actually shooting and this is the only way to get into a "double action" position.

The finish is black enamel, apparently over parkerized steel (judging by places where the enamel is not present, like on the bearing surfaces of the slide rails.

I'm not particularly fond of the safety. I like the oversized ambi thumb safety on my 1911 better. The slide release, however, is a bit easier to operate to my hands.

In some ways field stripping is easier than the 1911, in one way it's a bit harder. The harder part is removing the slide release/disassembly pin. On the 1911, I can draw the slide back a bit and push the release out with my forefinger. On the CZ I have to whack it with something or press it against something hard. However, once that's removed they come apart much the same except that I don't have to fuss with a bushing at the front of the slide to remove the barrel. Going together, however, favors the CZ. You assemble the slide barrel, and recoil spring, slide it into (another oddity of the CZ--slide goes inside the frame rather than over it) the frame, push it back a bit, and insert the slide release. Can't do that with my 1911. Have to put slide, barrel, and guide rod together, put them on the frame, then fiddle with the bushing to slide in the recoil spring. Overall, I'd give ease of field stripping and reassembly to the CZ75.

So shooting:

A friend of mine had turned me onto the Zombiehunters.org web site and the zombie head targets. When he introduced me to it there was a "postal match" on the theme of a battlefield pick-up gun. Basically, shoot 10 rounds, 5 rounds each at two targets, using an unfamiliar gun (as if it were something you had picked up or been handed in a crisis), at a distance of 7 yards. Well, I intended to do that with this gun but forgot to take the targets with me to the range. Result was that I simply shot 10 rounds at a bullseye and then overlaid it with the zombie target to get what the score would have been. About 95 out of 100 possible.

Wow. The bullets just go where I aim them. I haven't tried anything like that with my 1911 (my regular carry gun) but I don't think I would have done much better with it.

I completed the CZ portion of that range trip shooting another 90 rounds into a fresh target and ended up with 76 in the "black" (which was thoroughly chewed up--I "scored" by simply counting the hits outside the black). When I add up the original 10, that means 86% of all my hits were in the black (using a "law enforcement targets" B-16 OC). The one's outside the black were all clearly "shooter error" and I could generally identify the mistake as it happened.

I tested both of the magazines that came with the gun. No problems with either of them except I found getting the first round in (the shape of the follower feels odd) and the last couple of rounds (spring tension) somewhat difficult.

Pros:
    16+1 capacity with the magazines that came with it.
    Very accurate in my hands, even "cold."

Cons:
    Don't like the thumb safety.
    Isn't as comfortable to hold (in my hands) as the 1911.
    Trigger's a little mushy.

Pics to come.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Very well put. I love my 75B in .40
    I can't shoot anything as accurately as I can with it.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And the promised pictures:

CZ75_1.jpg

cz75_2.jpg

cz75_3.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wish I didn't have the hands of a 10 year old. The CZ75 I had was a great gun, just too dang big for me.

I'm in the same boat. I had a CZ 75B for a few years and it was the only pistol I ever owned that never once had any kind of malfunction. Not one. I don't know how many thousand rounds I fired, but it was probably less than 3000. Even the Sig Sauer P226 I used to own choked once on a reload with an inadequate powder charge. Glocks I've owned have all had several or many malfunctions. The CZ 75B had zero.

The reason I don't still have it plus more of them is that they're just too big for my freakishly short fingers to reach the controls. I could adjust for casual shooting, but there was no way I could reach both the trigger and the safety without shifting my grip, which was bad news if I had to use it under stress.

If it fits your hands, you won't find a better widebody 9mm defensive pistol.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Another convert.

The CZ 75b is my favorite answer to "first handgun, what should I look at?"

Another plus you did not mention: there is an easily available, inexpensive, functional accurate .22 LR conversion kit for the CZ 75b (the "Kadet" can be bought as a separate .22 gun, or just buy the slide, barrel, spring, and mag).

Personally I believe having a .22 that handles/shoots the same as your defense gun is a major plus.

Another positive for CZs is that they tend to run a bit less expensive than comparable guns. When you can get them surplus, they are downright cheap.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I LOVE MINE! Its the polished stainless. It fits my hand better than a 1911. And the accuracy is A+. its got a heavy double action. But you can double tap all day after the first shot. I hear the triger gets better after a few hundred rounds. The triger on mine is quite nice so cant wait for it to get even better. My XD-9 now guards my home. And I just got 2 mac-gar 19rd mags.
    090120_170424.jpg

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've owned several variations of the CZ-75 and loved all of them. I had a BD, 40-B, PCR and a compact 40. I currently own a P-01 and find it has the best rigger action of any of the CZ's that I've owned.
    If you shoot yours enough the trigger action will probably improve a bunch w/o getting a trigger job.:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Would someone be willing to give a concise explanation of the 9mm models? I see 75, 75B, etc. I am sure I could google this and get the answers, but do we have a CZ 75 expert in the house? After all, gun guys like to jaw anyway.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Would someone be willing to give a concise explanation of the 9mm models? I see 75, 75B, etc. I am sure I could google this and get the answers, but do we have a CZ 75 expert in the house? After all, gun guys like to jaw anyway.

In the beginning, there was the CZ 75. And Ceska zbrojovka saw that it was good. And many were madeand the shooters thereof were happy. But 'lo, there came a time when one said, let us add a firing pin blocker safety to the CZ 75, that accidents may be less and the fearful may carry cocked and locked in confidence that even a worn sear shall not primers to be struck and the great evil of the Accidental Discharge from happening. For though accidents are few, yet in the minds of many are the fear is great and this new safety will ease there fears and there will be joy among the shooters.

And so it was, the firing pin blocker was added to the CZ 75. And it was given a new name. Yea, a new name was given unto it. And from that day it was known as CZ 75 B for the B did denote the firing pin blocker. And great was the rejoicing among the shooters. But there was darkness as well, for many grumbled and wished for a return to the ways of yore, before the days of the B. But their voices were not heard and the B continued even unto this day.

And then another rose his voice, and spoke, even with the B people still fear the Accidental Discharge, so let us add as well a decocker. And with the decocker, the shooters will no longer need to carry their CZ 75 Bs in the holy "cocked and locked" but they may instead carry in the hallowed "condition two." And there was great confusion for not all wished to use the decocker for, as with every gain, it came with a loss, for the gain of the decocker would mean the loss of the safety. And all looked upon this and rejoiced in their hearts. For choice would be given to the shooters and it would be good. So, from that day, alongside the B there was also the BD.

And so it has continued. The choices have grown. And there came CZ 75's small and large. And a new caliber was added. Yea, the .40 S&W caliber now stood alongside its brethren of the elder 9 mm. And the rejoicing among the shooters was great, for the choices were vast. And the shooters danced in their rejoicing.

Or, you could browse around the CZ-USA web site.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Google the CZ forum .

lots of information on all the CZ,s Also good info on how to strip and lighten the double action trigger pull. I think they should put to rest the cast or forged frame argument C.Z. built their reputation with cast frames.
    they are known for their accuracy the Bbl. and slides are matched and fitted at the factory .

Top Bottom