Offspring...freeloaders....kids....whatever they are....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Darling daughter is in a rough spot in her life right now. Last month, we kept her two dogs for a few weeks. Now, we have other "guests" that belong to her. My sweetie ain't gone upstairs in 3 weeks now because of them. And I am not happy, 'cause I had to feed them tonight. What is this wonderful thing we are doing to help said offspring? Why, giving her two snakes a home away from home, for "awhile". The agreement was the slithers could be in our home, safe and secure in their enclosures, out of sight, and out of the way. She would come and clean and feed and care for them. Today, the normal feeding day, she is a no call no show. Ugh.

I do NOT mind snakes. I like them when they are in my barn keeping the meeses under control. Or around the yard, taking care of the striped rats (chipmunks). Even like to handle them at the zoo. But feeding them? NO THANK YOU! And I ain't about to clean their cages/aquariums/enclosures.

Anybody want a pair of snakes? Pics on request.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Darling daughter is in a rough spot in her life right now. Last month, we kept her two dogs for a few weeks. Now, we have other "guests" that belong to her. My sweetie ain't gone upstairs in 3 weeks now because of them. And I am not happy, 'cause I had to feed them tonight. What is this wonderful thing we are doing to help said offspring? Why, giving her two snakes a home away from home, for "awhile". The agreement was the slithers could be in our home, safe and secure in their enclosures, out of sight, and out of the way. She would come and clean and feed and care for them. Today, the normal feeding day, she is a no call no show. Ugh.

I do NOT mind snakes. I like them when they are in my barn keeping the meeses under control. Or around the yard, taking care of the striped rats (chipmunks). Even like to handle them at the zoo. But feeding them? NO THANK YOU! And I ain't about to clean their cages/aquariums/enclosures.

Not sure why the purple. Sell them things and tell her it was the cost of you taking care of her responsibilities.

Actually that's probably a bit harsh if this is the first time she has done this. If it is the first time I would not have done the feeding, and I would give her a day or so to show up and explain. If she still didn't show up, feed them and sell them.

If this is a common occurrence, sell them and be done with it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don't mind the snakes. It's just the feeding - ugh.

Really just a rant on the no call no show. Tried contacting her, and her phone is not receiving calls/texts. As stated, she is going thru a rough patch in life, choices you make have consequences.

Turning them out to the barn was my first choice when she asked for help with the slithers. They ain't big enough for a meal yet, even if I fried up both of them.

On a serious side, if she doesn't contact me this week, I will be looking to sell them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't mind the snakes. It's just the feeding - ugh.

Really just a rant on the no call no show. Tried contacting her, and her phone is not receiving calls/texts. As stated, she is going thru a rough patch in life, choices you make have consequences.

Turning them out to the barn was my first choice when she asked for help with the slithers. They ain't big enough for a meal yet, even if I fried up both of them.

On a serious side, if she doesn't contact me this week, I will be looking to sell them.
    What kind of snakes are they?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Not judging, but I'd go slow. There are a lot of ways this could be so much worse. (Sound's like you aren't raising your kid's kids yet?)

I'd be worried about helping the daughter through her rough patch first. These are crazy times FULL of less than positive mental reinforcement. Every day is worse if you bother to watch the news or follow social media.

Best of luck friend!

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    It is not the snakes fault. By the way they can go for days, if not longer, not being fed. We had 2 when the boys were younger and one escaped. It was found about 4 months later and was about 6 inches shorter then its brother by that time

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It is not the snakes fault. By the way they can go for days, if not longer, not being fed. We had 2 when the boys were younger and one escaped. It was found about 4 months later and was about 6 inches shorter then its brother by that time

Yeah, a missed feeding isn't going to hurt the snakes.

I had a boa that escaped it's cage and was gone for about six months. One day I was leaving the house and it was coiled up in front of the door big as ever. It must have been living on mice.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The slithers are on a once a week feeding of frozen mice. The one slither, she named it Nagini, gets rather aggressive if not fed on schedule. The process of meal prep is a pain. Thaw the mice to room temp (don't forget ya got them out, and put them out of sight, or sweetie might find them and then UH-OH!). Warm the not frozen corpses in hot water. Use the feeding tongs to hold the mouse for the slither to see. Give it a little wiggle to get the attention, then wait for the strike. I would rather just drop a live mouse in there, but apparently changing the food is a long process.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Not judging, but I'd go slow. There are a lot of ways this could be so much worse. (Sound's like you aren't raising your kid's kids yet?)

I'd be worried about helping the daughter through her rough patch first. These are crazy times FULL of less than positive mental reinforcement. Every day is worse if you bother to watch the news or follow social media.

Best of luck friend!
    Thanks for the wishes. This is not about her, just about feeding snakes. I could fill a book on what she was and how she has changed and improved as a person, since she was 18. She is now 28. Being asked to provide critter care, whether it is two dogs or two snakes, is not a lot for a kid to ask a parent. She is working on getting things better in her life, it is just a crazy, crappy time for all of us.

*Sigh*, mean tweets, I miss you.

Top Bottom