• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, hit the local range today to blast the charge out.
    Knew it was a waste of time to go yesterday, but I went anyway. Looks like a decent buck is still around (maybe the one that poked the buck my bud shot?)
    Might be a good little spot next yr if they plant corn.

Clean the MZ in a bit. I'm done with the crap................it's time to work over the yotes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yup, hit the local range today to blast the charge out...

Can't you still use it for special antlerless?

For years I left my Encore charged all year in the safe. Then pulled the breach plug to drop three perfectly good pellets and push out the sabot-ed bullet from a shiny bore. With my gun, I don't worry about that any longer. Last year's first deer was taken with a barrel charged the year before.

Last edited:

z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    During the bonus antlerless firearm season am I still good to get a buck with archery? I've been searching for this answer and maybe I just missed it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    During the bonus antlerless firearm season am I still good to get a buck with archery? I've been searching for this answer and maybe I just missed it.
    Archery season goes all the way October 1 through January 4th. Only one buck per year for all the seasons unless you are blessed with sacred urban hunting grounds though.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Went out yesterday at a private property we hunt in Owen county. So far I've not had a chance to fire a shot all season. Had a couple just give me a glimpse but no chance to take a shot. Took both my boys (ages 13 and 21) yesterday though, and they had quite a story to tell. I put them up in my two man tree stand and I took the ground blind.
    I didn't see anything at my stand, but their story was that the 13 yr old dropped his hat and one of his gloves out of the stand at about 10am. He went down to get it, and for some reason decided to just lie down in the grass next to the tree. I guess a little time had passed and the 21 yr old had nodded off too, but he woke up and realized his brother was still down on the ground so told him to get up off the ground and get back into the blind. As he stood up, the woods came to life and there were 6 deer all around the base of their stand!!! I told them if they would spend a little more time looking for the deer and a little less time on their electronic gadgets in the stand (phones, playstation Vita, etc) and sleeping that they might have actually got a shot off!!!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    ! I told them if they would spend a little more time looking for the deer and a little less time on their electronic gadgets in the stand (phones, playstation Vita, etc) and sleeping that they might have actually got a shot off!!!
    Smartphone was the best thing that ever happened for the deer in my woods. :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Can't you still use it for special antlerless?

For years I left my Encore charged all year in the safe. Then pulled the breach plug to drop three perfectly good pellets and push out the sabot-ed bullet from a shiny bore. With my gun, I don't worry about that any longer. Last year's first deer was taken with a barrel charged the year before.

I always hunt with a fresh charge.
    My gun does not have a removable breech plug....is a Hawken Silver Elite. Aint gonna get parts for that beast. I baby it.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Went out Saturday morning with a couple of my hunting partners. One of them managed to shoot an antlerless deer. My other buddy saw 2 but they turned the wrong way. I had 6 blow right past me at a full sprint at about 25 yards. Had a group of 6 turkeys milling around about 40 yards out for a bit as well. Even though I didn't shoot another deer it ended up being a good day. I nailed my first goose after we got done hauling my buddy's deer out so it was sill a successful weekend or me. I think I'm done deer hunting for the year though. I shot 2 and that is plenty of meat for my family. Now it's time to work on some more geese and the yote population.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Went out last weekend with the .450 Bushmaster. Saturday was cold, windy and wet. Set all day and heard one deer snort. Never saw it and saw one mature doe. Shot her at 140 yards with a single round. She went less than 20 yards and went down. Sunday I saw three does when I was walking out from the stand at 10 am. They stopped broadside at 90 yards. Standing, off-hand shot on the biggest doe was text book. The blood trail started where she was standing and ended thirty yards later, where she piled up. Stevie Wonder could have followed this blood trail.
    The Bushmaster has now taken 6 deer and it has been devastating on every one. If you don't like to track wounded deer, hit them with a Bushmaster.

Top Bottom