Not open for further replies.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    GPIA7R said:
    Was at Walmart in Greenwood, finishing checking out. The attendant at the self-scan area was a very short man (about waist-high to me). I was walking out with my two friends, and I hear "SIR! SIR!" behind me. I see it's him, and he's waving me over.

I walk half the way, and he walks over to me saying "Look, just lift your shirt and cover up the gun." as he's saying this, he grabs my shirt with his right hand and the back of my gun with his left.

GPIA7R said:
    I missed my swap, didn't notice the new lanes, and cut off a cop. He pulled me over and cited me for unsafe lane movement; 9-21-8-11(1)

GPIA7R said:
    30 minutes of him fumbling through papers and whatnot... he finally comes back, says he's putting it in the back seat, and gives me a ticket for 70 in a 55.

GPIA7R said:
    Got pulled over this morning.

Looks like bwframe might be on to something... Might wanna use your noggin a little more..

This situation went about as well for you as you could hope.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    :dunno::dunno::dunno:Guys.... Not to be a SMARTASS or anything , but WHY would you NOT carry your LTCH on you???? :dunno::dunno::dunno:
    I routinely take my little girl on walks around the neighborhood w/o my wallet. Not illegal, and not a big deal. I've even forgot my wallet on the rare occasion that my wife drives (it is next to my keys).

Yep. Off by a year :D.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OP...

A couple of questions, please?

1. Why was your DL originally suspended?

2. Did they tow your vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Got a ticket back in June. Apparently, even after deferring it, it was reported to the BMV. When I renewed my license in September, I asked them three times if I had to do anything to prevent the license from being suspended. They said I had to take a written and sign test. So I did. I passed, and thought nothing of it.

Apparently that person was wrong.

No, girlfriend came to get me with a friend, we drove the car back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    During this time, the officer on the radio asked me if I've taken any classes. I said I have not, as it isn't required in IN. He said "Does that make you proud? Carrying this around like that? Are you proud of that?"

The officer on the radio "Let us handle the safety of this place."

Yeah, i'm sure these two were regulars with Seal Team 6, or maybe SFOD-D?

This is what you get when your educational requirements are set at the lowest common denominator.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The law doesn't force me to carry it, as said earlier. It's another one of those "Well do it anyway to prove you aren't bad" sorts of situations. If they're going to detain me, they can look it up themselves. I wasn't breaking any laws as far as carrying my firearm went.

similar to saying "Well, just CC anyway then you won't have problems."
    I have been known to OC my cap and ball revolver, from time to time. Since it is not a cartridge gun, a LTCH is not required by law. Still I would never carry it without my LTCH. I just don't feel the need to invite the added hassle of explaining the law to a LEO who doesn't know it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Got a ticket back in June. Apparently, even after deferring it, it was reported to the BMV. When I renewed my license in September, I asked them three times if I had to do anything to prevent the license from being suspended. They said I had to take a written and sign test. So I did. I passed, and thought nothing of it.

Apparently that person was wrong.

No, girlfriend came to get me with a friend, we drove the car back.
    Thanks. I hope you get it worked out.

:cheers:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm surprised that a fellow gun owner, who wasn't breaking any firearm related law mind you, is getting so much flak on a gun forum. We should really support each other and the 2nd Amendment. Sucks that you got hassled OP, I have no idea what I would have done in that situation! :patriot:

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    During this time, the officer on the radio asked me if I've taken any classes. I said I have not, as it isn't required in IN. He said "Does that make you proud? Carrying this around like that? Are you proud of that?"

I would've told the officer right then, "You mean does it make me proud to exercise my constitutional right as a citizen of this great country to keep and bear arms. It sure as hell does make me proud."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In all fairness, I wasn't there for the very start of the fiasco. When I came in the officers already had posession of his weapon and it was layed out on the table one of them was sitting at. After arriving I tried to listen to as much of the convo as I could hear. The first thing I heard was about asking him about training. Then I remember hearing the comment about "being target because he OCs." :rolleyes:

I don't know the OP from Adam. I just happened to walk into the right place at the right time. Something that seems to follow me throughout my life.

I don't know what his previous experiences are, his level of training, etc. I will say that he handled the situation as well as can be expected particularly if it was his first encounter. These confrontations often instill a level of intimidation onto the person and typically LEOs rely on that. Considering it happened in a VERY public and busy setting which adds an additional level of embarrassment for most, he handled the situation as well as he could have to end the situation quickly and move on with the day.

Did he make some slight mistakes such as not carrying the LTCH? Perhaps, but that's open to interpretation. You could say it's a mistake because it keeps you away from undue scrutiny, but if it's not required by law it's up to each individual whether or not they mind that scrutiny.

I've had several LEO confrontations. Majority of which have been negative, but there were a couple positive ones. I still OC and try to make the experiences an opportunity to educate. Sometimes however, the badge instills a false sense of superiority and officers can forget that they don't truly know everything. It's important for the citizen to recognize those situations and know when to "drop it" and allow their ignorance to run its course so you don't cause yourself worse problems.

Again, aside from a couple mistakes he handled the LEO interaction as well as could be expected of anyone. He was indeed lucky that they didn't take further action on the DL issue, but he knows now that it needs fixed.

For what it's worth, I was REALLY biting my tongue when he started talking about "being targeted for OC" but I knew outsider's involvement would merely put them on a bigger "power trip" driven defensive.

Kudos to the OP for being able to see when to let the issue resolve itself and keep his opinions quiet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom