• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I just saw a house that my Dad's company makes which is capable of total off the grid operation. This thing was pretty cool and it generated a constant 2.5Kw of power and it had two other solar fluid heaters for heating the house and water heater. Solar generation is not a bad idea for SHTF.

The solar package can be added to any house as an option. Wind power would also be interesting to look into.

Last edited:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Very interesting. Much nicer than the off grid homes I used to see up in Alaska. Looks much more efficient than the old deep cycle marine battery backup system. Just curious about ball park pricing. Hate to put my name on a mailing list knowing its at least 5 years before I could think about pulling a plug from the grid (unless this long hot summer we are about to have pulls it for me)

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Well the really cool thing is the surplus of energy and selling it back if your not going off the grid.

The power is digitally monitored on a small console (like a thermostat) in the house along with the heating and environmental controls.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're seriously interested in something like this, keep in mind that Indiana is cloudy 60-65% of the time.

-J-

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    If you're seriously interested in something like this, keep in mind that Indiana is cloudy 60-65% of the time.

-J-

Actually they say that it will still work since UV radiation is emitted through the cloud cover - and that is what charges the system - though you wont get as much. Kinda like why your transition glasses still turn dark outside even when its cloudy. Due to the UV radiation.

At night time though, you will need to charge up a battery bank. Good question though ;) The main problem I see is that current battery technology has not really caught up with the solar technology. Still ... I would be saving a lot of money on energy.

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We looked at some solar panels for our house that will produce energy through 7 inches of snow. It isn't about light it is as agent074 said about uv.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Ya I think I am going to go with one of their regular houses and then get the solar package as an option since they have to pay royalties to the architect for that house design. He said I can save a lot of money by just going with their solar option as opposed to the solar village house. The solar package is $24000 and can be added to any house - which isn't really that bad considering that it pays for itself.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I read somewhere that Indiana does not have a State Tax credit for Solar/Wind.

Correct at least back in 2006 when I contact the State of Indiana about it there was no Indiana credit/deduction for it. However on the FEDERAL level there is some type of credit/deduction.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ya I think I am going to go with one of their regular houses and then get the solar package as an option since they have to pay royalties to the architect for that house design. He said I can save a lot of money by just going with their solar option as opposed to the solar village house. The solar package is $24000 and can be added to any house - which isn't really that bad considering that it pays for itself.

How long in Indiana will it take to pay for itself?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I can't confirm the validity of the following data but, it would seem to be, that it isn't fiscally advantageous unless your repair costs are nil or the life of the product well exceeds the "payoff" time.

EXAMPLE RESIDENTIAL SOLAR INSTALLATION

Indiana businesses and residences demand a relatively large amount of electrical power (average: 12,504 kwh/year), requiring a solar power system of commensurate size. The following is an example of a solar installation in Indianapolis (Marion County), the state’s largest city, which has a population of almost 800,000 and more than 350,000 housing units; the main power provider is Indianapolis Power & Light.

* Roof area required – 550 sq. ft.
    * Estimated mid-range cost of system/installation – $49,500
    * Federal Tax Credit – $2,000
    * Property Tax Exemption – yes
    * Estimated increase in property value – $7,100
    * Estimated 25-year utility savings – $14,896
    * Reduction in greenhouse gases – 128 tons

Indiana solar power and solar energy rebates, tax credits, and incentives. Cost breakdown for photovoltaic panels and solar water heaters

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Apparently this solar package is one of the better ones. The company wanted something that was feasible - and they wanted something that you could actually gain from. ---All American Homes Solar Incentives Information---

$125/month savings - I'd take it. They say it may also increase resale value of the home :) Apparently you can add this system to any house. Now about maintenance or concerns about performance - I don't see any with this particular package. It would take a few years to see a payoff however, it would be useful in SHTF.

Last edited:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    VERY interesting to see the floorplans available, and I was looking for one with a basement option. The largest one does have basement option.
    And, this builder is in Decatur, here in IN.
    Tempting!

Note, however, lack of garage. Would have to have one of those!

In Chicago at their Museum of Sci & Industry, they have an incredible, similar-concept house built on museum grounds there. We paid for the tour, and it was very well built, very solid (believe me, I tested that!). We were very impressed with the whole thing, and also a bit disappointed that it was not a known option when we built new house in 2004-2006. We probably would have done that had we known someone actually was building that type of house. Of course, the traditional builder we had (even though custom) balked even at the idea of insulated poured concrete foundations. Noone seemed to be open to anything even close to this concept... we would have had to be our own general contractors, and that would have been impossible.

See the Smart Home at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Apparently this solar package is one of the better ones. The company wanted something that was feasible - and they wanted something that you could actually gain from. ---All American Homes Solar Incentives Information---

$125/month savings - I'd take it. They say it may also increase resale value of the home :) Apparently you can add this system to any house. Now about maintenance or concerns about performance - I don't see any with this particular package.

Provided that your town/city does NOT have a local ordnance regarding "panels" on the roof of your house. I was looking into the small windmills to power the heater when I bmped into the local ordinance on how far "up" you ca have stuff.

Top Bottom