• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Inside a busy Walmart (with two rent-a-cops) and Sam's Club up on 86th & Michigan. I was a jacket away from CCing before I stepped out of the car, but it was so nice outside, and I was feeling bold enough to step out of the shadows. :scared:
    The two rent-a-cops were looking my direction somewhat frequently as I checked out, but other than that nobody said anything or seemed to care. I was totally expecting to hear a little kid's voice "mommy he's got a gun!" but that even didn't happen. Though I've been told by several friends, coworkers, and family that I carry myself like I'm a cop. :rolleyes: Or perhaps they assume anyone bold enough to openly carry for all to see is not likely to be looking for trouble.

I'm slowly becoming an OC'er, though I strongly feel that overall appearance is key. For me personally this means shirt tucked-in, and no statement-making shirts. Probably gonna do collared polos more, and maybe even go shirt and tie sometime just for kicks. This might seem anal-retentive but I want to do my best to help contribute to the public image of responsible gun-ownership, and for me it's no different than dressing for a job fair.

Just wanted to share that, however repetitive of a story heard on here.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Inside a busy Walmart (with two rent-a-cops) and Sam's Club up on 86th & Michigan. I was a jacket away from CCing before I stepped out of the car, but it was so nice outside, and I was feeling bold enough to step out of the shadows. :scared:
    The two rent-a-cops were looking my direction somewhat frequently as I checked out, but other than that nobody said anything or seemed to care. I was totally expecting to hear a little kid's voice "mommy he's got a gun!" but that even didn't happen. Though I've been told by several friends, coworkers, and family that I carry myself like I'm a cop. :rolleyes: Or perhaps they assume anyone bold enough to openly carry for all to see is not likely to be looking for trouble.

I'm slowly becoming an OC'er, though I strongly feel that overall appearance is key. For me personally this means shirt tucked-in, and no statement-making shirts. Probably gonna do collared polos more, and maybe even go shirt and tie sometime just for kicks. This might seem anal-retentive but I want to do my best to help contribute to the public image of responsible gun-ownership, and for me it's no different than dressing for a job fair.

Just wanted to share that, however repetitive of a story heard on here.

I might try sweats and a wife beater next time I'm out and about Open carrying... :laugh:

I typically tuck in my shirt as well, but I might just sloppy carry for fun :D

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I was in anderson walmart one day oc, had a conversation with the clerk about gun's while being checked out. Meijer is the same way, no one even gives it a 2nd. look.

Lukethespook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Just can't bring myself to OC yet and here's why. I'm a Christian, husband, and a father before a gun owner. By OCing instead of CCing I fear that I will become "the gun guy", overshadowing everything else...

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Just can't bring myself to OC yet and here's why. I'm a Christian, husband, and a father before a gun owner. By OCing instead of CCing I fear that I will become "the gun guy", overshadowing everything else...

Wont happen. I was always worried about OCing at first because I didnt want confrontation. I soon got over that and made myself OC all of the time.

Just think to yourself that you carry because you want to protect your kids. Who cares what others think!

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I always cc when I'm in town but I may start to oc one of these days but for now I feel more comfortable with cc. Right or wrong I do believe the way some one is dressed and just their overall appearance makes a big difference about how people feel seeing somone oc.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis

I can't help but feel like this a fear of man issue more than "I want to be seen as a Christian" issue. What's unchristian about carrying a gun? In the book of Luke (chapter 22 maybe?) Christ commanded his disciples to take their swords with them...and if they didn't have a sword to sell their cloak and buy one. A gun is nothing more than a modern day sword. Carrying a gun and knowing how to use it is part of providing safety for your family. What's to be ashamed of for carrying it openly?

1: How many people do you know at Wal-Mart?
    2: No one will give a crap. Seriously, they won't even comment. They'll either fail to notice or won't care.
    3: A stand up Christian with a gun is the best advertizement and PR tool real masculinity could have.
    4: You're actually far more likely to scare people by CCing. When the day comes your shirt rides up for whatever reason and your gun is shown off (and that day will come) people will be startled and think you're a trouble maker.
    5: If you're that worried about it, just don't OC to places where it might be looked down upon or considered distracting to carry, like church service or something. Otherwise, walking around Wal-Mart, no one knows you, knows if your a Christian, or even gives a crap. You might as well discourage trouble and have easy access to your weapon by OCing.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I can't help but feel like this a fear of man issue more than "I want to be seen as a Christian" issue. What's unchristian about carrying a gun? In the book of Luke (chapter 22 maybe?) Christ commanded his disciples to take their swords with them...and if they didn't have a sword to sell their cloak and buy one. A gun is nothing more than a modern day sword. Carrying a gun and knowing how to use it is part of providing safety for your family. What's to be ashamed of for carrying it openly?

Luke 22:36

But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    Welcome to the OC side. I have always carried openly and have NEVER had anyone say a thing negative about it. I have noticed a few people keeping an eye on me when I first walk in someplace with my gun, but they quickly lose interest when they see that I am just a regular guy.
    As for being a Christian and carrying, I am an elder in my church and am very involved with everything happening in my Christian community, and I OC everywhere including church.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Get yourself a sport jacket, shirt and tie....and some jeans. I call it respectable casual. No one batts an eye even though you have a primary on the hip, backup on the ankle, etc. Most people even start calling you sir again if you carry yourself with confidence.

Feels good all around. You're carrying, you've got class, people treat you with respect. There's lots of ways to mod you jacket to carry all your EDC items. Here's one that's made for that exactly...

p3_sport_coat_split_x-ray_2.jpg

SeV Sport Coat - SeV Men's sportcoat, travel sportcoat

The one above is a three button and 2 buttons are more 'fashionable' right now, but still pretty cool. Most of the time you wear one un-buttoned so sweeping it to the side to draw is simple.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I OC'd my first time about 20 years ago. I'd been deer hunting and walked into this convenience store with my Super Blackhawk 44mag 7.5in barrel holstered on my hip. This lady in the store with kids looked like she was going to have a heart attack. I have been reluctant to OC since then. Usually only hunting, on my property out back or going to check deer at check station.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I OC'd my first time about 20 years ago. I'd been deer hunting and walked into this convenience store with my Super Blackhawk 44mag 7.5in barrel holstered on my hip. This lady in the store with kids looked like she was going to have a heart attack. I have been reluctant to OC since then. Usually only hunting, on my property out back or going to check deer at check station.

That was 20 years ago bro. Height of gun control and anti-gun feelings with gun ownership rates that were smaller than they are now. We've made a lot of progress with changing the culture since then. I live in a very, very liberal area and no one is bothered by my regular OCing.

Top Bottom