• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    So you have made a judgement call on all OCers, based on what sample size. A dozen videos on youtube, from across the country.
    Seems a pretty small sample size to make a judgement call.
    Do you do the same stereotyping on gender, race, nationality, etc.?

By the way, if I wanted to intimidate, the gun would be drawn, and I'd mumble to myself.
    Or maybe I'd just drink a beer and walk around swinging a baseball bat.

Guns do not generally kill people (at least while being worn). So the fear of a gun in that state might be irrational.

Now take the gun out, and present it in a way that indicates that you are ready to shoot someone, and now we are no longer in the realm of the irrational.

It's not just the gun. It's the presentation.

Well, they are certainly going to get worse if people don't see carriers in postive manners.
    And regardless of "perception", that car will kill a lot more people.
    To worry about the perceived threat of a gun, while surrounded by 2 ton killing machines.......
    How about baseball bats at a game. Baseball bats kill 2X more people than rifles do.

Fearing a car is not at all a similar fear. One kills generally by accident the other related to crimes.

However needless the fear is, it is far more realistic then a parked car..

Questionable analogies aside... People need to be more comfortable with firearms somehow. I don't know the answer.

I do know people are more comfortable with gun free zones creating no ability to protect them selves and yet are in shock when someone is shot in a school, theater, etc.

Feel good laws have created a lot of this gun phobia single handedly.

When a place requires you to disarm before entering they are saying they prohibit the presumed danger associated with bringing it inside.

This false sense of danger is directly transmitted to the public and they in turn feel the same way. In a sense people have "gun free zone" signs on their backs.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Fearing a car is not at all a similar fear. One kills generally by accident the other related to crimes.

However needless the fear is, it is far more realistic then a parked car.. "

Dead is Dead.
    Accidently dead gets you the same 6 foot deep swimming pool that intentionally dead.
    And by the way, being more likely to be "accidently" killed does not exactly fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Okay I'm not sure what point is trying to be made exactly.

You're saying that if someone is walking down the street if they are nervous/afraid of someone carrying a firearm they should be just as scared of everything else around them (parked cars,baseball bats etc.) that also can cause death?

Most everyone here has a good understanding of firearms and are not bothered by them. The average sheltered public do not have the same mentality what so ever.

It's laughable to think the average public is equally afraid of a parked car then a man with a firearm. However similar there threats are...

That is the only point I am trying to make.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The only reason and I mean only reason sheople are scared of guns is because that is what the media and the government want.

Funny how people can be so open to suggestion no matter how nonsensical that suggestion can be. Then again, I have seen at least two different reports of people facing charges for employing what they learned from the Joe Biden School of Home Defense.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I am guessing she didn't carry around the house.

I'm guessing if your wife decided she wanted to kill you, it wouldn't matter if you were carrying or not.

No, I take that back. It's not even a guess.

Is that because it makes others nervous?

For me, it's not about making other people nervous, because I couldn't give a **** less about that. I CC because I don't feel like being hassled by police.

I am 100% pro OC, I just prefer to keep a low profile (which is hard enough to do with my stature without OCing).

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You have quite an opinion of a demographic you are not apart of, eh?

While most of the rabid anti-OC crowd don't even carry at all you have not even experienced the real reactions 99.99% of the populace have to OC- none.

LEt me guess, you watched a youtube video? :laugh:

Did the video have a guy in it with a severe shoulder twitch? ;)

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think the soccer mom story illustrates why open carry for the most part isn't a great idea. Did she educate the public that carrying guns is a good idea? It seems like one guy agreed with her. However there were enough soccer moms to organize a petition to have her license revoked. All these soccer moms are registered voters. They are also sheep. They have short attention spans, but when they are emotional they are capable of herd mentality and will trample right over your rights. So really, do you believe that open carrying is honestly going to change the sheep's opinions? Or are you just causing them to actively band against us?

I'm sure this has been posted many times, but for what it's worth:

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thought of an another example of this principle, of not reaching sheep. My wife is a sheep. I'll make small talk with her about 2A issues, why our constitutional rights are important, when we need to always be ready to defend ourselves....and her eyes always glaze over, and she chirps "I don't like guns......they're bad."

Now if I can't reach my own wife, who loves me, trusts me, and has had kids with me, what chance am I going to have with a random sheep off the street?

As an amusing side note, early in our relationship, my wife had a stalker. I slept downstairs at her place with a shotgun by the couch for awhile....and she loved it. See, the only time sheep love sheepdogs is when the wolf is pawing at their neck.
    Now, several years later, I get grief from her if I have any of my guns out for any reason.....cleaning them or whatever. She rolls her eyes when I put my CC shoulder holster on before we head out to the store.

But she'll be thrilled I have it when we get mugged.....but only then. ;)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think the soccer mom story illustrates why open carry for the most part isn't a great idea. Did she educate the public that carrying guns is a good idea? It seems like one guy agreed with her. However there were enough soccer moms to organize a petition to have her license revoked. All these soccer moms are registered voters. They are also sheep. They have short attention spans, but when they are emotional they are capable of herd mentality and will trample right over your rights. So really, do you believe that open carrying is honestly going to change the sheep's opinions? Or are you just causing them to actively band against us?

I'm sure this has been posted many times, but for what it's worth:

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

The constitutional is designed to protect the RIGHT'S of the individual from the MASSES.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Thought of an another example of this principle, of not reaching sheep. My wife is a sheep. I'll make small talk with her about 2A issues, why our constitutional rights are important, when we need to always be ready to defend ourselves....and her eyes always glaze over, and she chirps "I don't like guns......they're bad."

Now if I can't reach my own wife, who loves me, trusts me, and has had kids with me, what chance am I going to have with a random sheep off the street?

As an amusing side note, early in our relationship, my wife had a stalker. I slept downstairs at her place with a shotgun by the couch for awhile....and she loved it. See, the only time sheep love sheepdogs is when the wolf is pawing at their neck.
    Now, several years later, I get grief from her if I have any of my guns out for any reason.....cleaning them or whatever. She rolls her eyes when I put my CC shoulder holster on before we head out to the store.

But she'll be thrilled I have it when we get mugged.....but only then. ;)

Does your wife equate you carrying a firearm to being an implied threat to her life?

I bet, even though she may not admit it, she is more comfortable with firearms after having been close to someone who carries often.

She may not do an about face and agree with you on all topics and beliefs firearm related, but I seriously doubt that you have not had some positive impact on her outlook regarding firearms.

While it is unrealistic to believe that we will persuade everyone to agree with us 100%, does not mean we will have no positive impact whatsoever.

Also - may I point out that openly carrying was this woman's only legal method of carry for some time. Not everyone's first priority when carrying a firearm is to change public perception. While I believe that being responsible gun owners is important, ensuring that you avoid the irrational fears of others is not a required to exercise one's right to bear arms. My safety, and even personally feeling safe, is more important to me than coddling others who would irrationally perceive me as a threat.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I HATE being noticed so any attention I attract to myself in public, off-duty, is negative as far as I'm concerned. EVERYONE eyeballs me while I'm in uniform so it is nice to blend in and not be noticed when I'm off.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Never ending debate

The never ending debate, OC vs CC.

weareoverthetimelimit_zps4303e115.jpg

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You have quite an opinion of a demographic you are not apart of, eh?

While most of the rabid anti-OC crowd don't even carry at all you have not even experienced the real reactions 99.99% of the populace have to OC- none.

LEt me guess, you watched a youtube video? :laugh:

I'm not gay, yet I have opinions about homosexuality.

I'm not an alcoholic, yet I have opinions about addiction.

I'm not a artist, yet I have opinions about art.

I don't need to experience AIDS to know that not having it is better than having it.

And don't assume that because I dont' OC; that I have never been part of OC related escalation.

BTW 99.99% nice number. Can you cite your source?

Top Bottom