• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure that has been brought up before. I'm new here... If the MODS don't like it, I apologize. Anyway, this is NOT a troll post. I am a serious gun owner and demand my rights as well. I've had my concealed carry since the age of 18 (now 30) and have been carrying a handgun since that age. I've never had the desire to carry my gun outside my pants, coat, shirt, whatever. Here are my reasons:

• Guns attract unwanted attention from those ignorant of / afraid of guns, which tends to be the larger majority of people (in my experience).
    • Theoretically, the gun could be wrestled from you by a group if you were caught off guard. A group would be more likely to know you have a gun if you are OCing.
    • If I were ever in the situation where I actually needed to use the gun, I would not want the other person, or group of persons to know that I had it. This would give me an advantage (e.g., extreme case: a group of criminals hold a store with people hostage. they would shoot a person obviously carrying a gun first and then you are no use). This point can also be argued the other way around of course: it would take me more time to get to my gun than a person OCing
    • I'm sure there are other reasons.
    So, why do you OC or CC? Please answer with the way you really feel and while I appreciate humor, I don't think it belongs in this thread.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I CC because until it's time to escalate the situation, I like to keep my sphere of influence as de-escalated as possible.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, you asked for it.

Axe-Sling-Open-Carry-Leather-Holster.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My 2¢. As far as "the first one shot," it is 50/50. You are in line at 7 11 while you OC. Bad guy wants to rob the place. He walks up to the door, sees your sidearm and decides to go a few blocks down. Situation totally avoided. And you were never the wiser. Or he walks up and sees you gun and shoots you first. There is very few, if any, records of this. On the same point, there are no reports of a bad guy going to they next place either.

Bottom line is, it's YOUR choice. You do what you feel comfortable with. And train that way.

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    I have never OCed. I have alway CCed in the state of Alabama where I am from. I never had a reason to open carry until now. I am currently waitin for my indiana LTCH and when it arrives I plan on OC. The reason is simply to show my support for our 2nd amendment and for the people on the front lines fighting to keep our rights. I feel it's the least I can do.

If the gun argument ever dies back down to the levels it was a few years ago, ill probably go back to CC for two reasons.

1) just because I have the right to carry a hand gun, I feel it is rude to shove it into people's faces that may have a legitimate reason in fearing a gun. Possible reasons for fearing could be that they were kidnapped or rapped in the past at gun point.

2) I do not want any bad guys knowing I am carrying a weapon. By concealing it it gives a upper hand to unsuspecting bad guys/girls.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is the thread you need to got to. When you are done with that get back to us :D

Meh, I didn't read the stickies. There are 147 pages anyway... I'm mainly interested in the views from the other side (OC). Interesting replies so far. If you're going to complain though, feel free to skip this thread.

edit: i wasn't saying you were complaining bunnykid68, just the others saying that they have seen this thread before.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    edit: i wasn't saying you were complaining bunnykid68, just the others saying that they have seen this thread before.

Yeah, because it's posted so often that the mods had to make a sticky out of it. They ALWAYS start out the same way: "This isn't a troll question, but here are all the reasons I think OCing is bad..." The fact that the sticky thread had 147 pages of replies should have tipped you off.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Meh, I didn't read the stickies. There are 147 pages anyway... I'm mainly interested in the views from the other side (OC). Interesting replies so far. If you're going to complain though, feel free to skip this thread.

First, welcome fng.

Second,jfc.

Third

Here is a little tip for these long threads.

Go to User control panel

Edit options

Thread display

Number of posts to show per page
    (the maximum is forty)

Thanks

Mark

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    could be that they were kidnapped or rapped in the past at gun point.

Being rapped at gunpoint would be worse than death. I've accidentally rapped myself a couple times when scanning the radio stations, and wasn't able to switch channels fast enough.

I can't imagine being tied up and being rapped for hours at a time. I'd do like that girl in "Million Dollar Baby" and chew my tongue off so I would bleed to death.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Reading just the opening post in that sticky will give you those views on OC you are looking for.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    To the OP..

To directly answer your question, I OC simply for one reason. Because I can.

It's the same reason I choose to drink cheap a$$ rum and diet coke. Because I can. The same reason why I flash my bright flashlight at the guys at work sometimes. Because I can.

It's the general response for all things that do not have a specific reason (for me).

I Open Carry for no other reason than simply because I can. In this great state it's allowed so I do it. There's no tactical ninja reasoning for me. I could care less about logistics, or if the bad guy shoots me first or anything else beyond the simple pleasure of being able to do something that I'm "allowed" to do.

I hope this helps :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Initially, because I hated all the CC options. I discovered I don't like IWB carry. At. All. Now I wouldn't go back even if I did find a comfortable way to CC because so many people think I shouldn't. I'm stubborn that way.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Guns attract unwanted attention from those ignorant of / afraid of guns, which tends to be the larger majority of people (in my experience).
    Sure, because they're not used to seeing them in public. So long as you aren't violating any laws - if you want to OC, go for it. I've learned not to care so much about what others think. That said I've been OC'ing for over a year now and have had only one or two occasions where somebody asked about it. It was either "Is that real?" or "What kind is that?"

Theoretically, the gun could be wrestled from you by a group if you were caught off guard. A group would be more likely to know you have a gun if you are OCing.
    I would make the argument that if they were willing to wrestle your gun from you, they would be up to other bad deeds if they weren't after your firearm.

I couldn't imagine you saying, in good conscience, that the mere presence of your firearm would cause a group of people to decide to wrestle you for it that would otherwise not do anything wrong.

If I were ever in the situation where I actually needed to use the gun, I would not want the other person, or group of persons to know that I had it.
    Chances are, if you need to use it and they already know before you draw then you're already too late.

If somebody is pointing a gun at you, you aren't going to have time to unholster and shoot before they simply squeeze the trigger. There are things you can do such as side-step and draw simultaneously but we're not talking about tactics here, are we?

Situational awareness is a huge part of carrying any firearm. It won't matter if you CC or OC if the bad guy is already pointing a gun at your face before you have a chance to draw.

This would give me an advantage (e.g., extreme case: a group of criminals hold a store with people hostage.
    Only if you were so oblivious to your surroundings not to notice their actions before it was too late.

they would shoot a person obviously carrying a gun first and then you are no use).
    If you want to back this up with some reports of this happening? I've seen this mentioned a lot but not seen one instance where this has happened.

They're much more likely to see you're armed and to pick another target than they are to shoot you. They didn't walk into the store to kill you, they walked in to get money for free. There's a huge difference between shooting somebody and taking money out of a register.

This point can also be argued the other way around of course: it would take me more time to get to my gun than a person OCing
    That depends on how deeply you're concealing. I can draw from concealment almost as fast as I can from OC. The difference is simply lifting/moving my cover (shirt, whatever). I do that with my left hand while simultaneously going for the draw with my right so the difference is negligible.

I'm sure there are other reasons.So, why do you OC or CC? Please answer with the way you really feel and while I appreciate humor, I don't think it belongs in this thread.
    I CC or OC depending on comfort and environment.

I usually OC, but I do love my CC rig as well.

*sigh* yes that's what it is. I've always called it that because that's what I originally heard it called.
    To make an analogy - if your family once overheard you being called an "idiot" would you be OK with them continuing to do so even though that is not in fact what you're called/your name?

Just because you heard something called something doesn't make it right and doesn't mean you should keep doing it.

Top Bottom