• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When I got my FFL they told me zoning prohibited more people from getting their FFLs than anything else. I called zoning, told them my plans and worked with them to get approval prior to submitting my application to the BATFE. It wasn't that big of a deal since I'm not open to the public, have no signage or customer parking, etc.. I did have to provide a sketch of my home and show which area(s) of my home would be used for the business.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    When I got my FFL they told me zoning prohibited more people from getting their FFLs than anything else. I called zoning, told them my plans and worked with them to get approval prior to submitting my application to the BATFE. It wasn't that big of a deal since I'm not open to the public, have no signage or customer parking, etc.. I did have to provide a sketch of my home and show which area(s) of my home would be used for the business.
    How long ago did you obtain your FFL?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Does it (your ffl location) have to be in the county you reside in? I have a properly zoned property and building. I also do not want to be open to the general public. Just myself and friends. Is that possible?
    Thanks for the help

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I was under the impression that the BATFE had put the clamps on allowing any new home based ffl's. I have nothing to back that up other than that I have heard it from several current ffl's.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The link I provided is a five part story I believe. The guy also is from Indiana. I know now days you can't just have an FFL for yourself and friends. You have to have a business plan and the will specifically ask how much money you plan to make.

Another thing to the think about is distributors. Most things I've read say that most don't deal with small shops.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Years ago they clamped down on people having them for reasons other than a for profit business (basically to make it easier to add to their personal collection), I think that is what started the rumor about home based. I didn't have any issues at all getting mine and haven't seen any changes in the regs that would make it harder. As long as you are planning a legitimate, for profit business and can get zoning to sign off it shouldn't be an issue.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    The link I provided is a five part story I believe. The guy also is from Indiana. I know now days you can't just have an FFL for yourself and friends. You have to have a business plan and the will specifically ask how much money you plan to make.

Another thing to the think about is distributors. Most things I've read say that most don't deal with small shops.

It is still possible.

Years ago they clamped down on people having them for reasons other than a for profit business (basically to make it easier to add to their personal collection), I think that is what started the rumor about home based. I didn't have any issues at all getting mine and haven't seen any changes in the regs that would make it harder. As long as you are planning a legitimate, for profit business and can get zoning to sign off it shouldn't be an issue.

Good to know. I have had an idea that I have kicked around for a few years, I might just have to give it a harder look after the new year.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

I do not believe we had a business plan on paper when we acquired our FFL.
    We already had a small internet run business, accessories only, and decided to move into firearms.
    and as said above, SMALL internet business and we had no problems dealing with distributors. We chose cash up front for everything we ordered, I am sure that will make a huge difference. The only issue we had being a small store, we did not order anywhere near the amounts as a large store so at times when items were limited, even though we had an order in first, product would go to a larger shop who ordered more all year round.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Was am ffl required to sell certain parts such as barrels or uppers. Id assume not. And where could i find a distributor list?

if it does not require a serial number, it does not require an FFL. You do however have to have a business license from the state of IN.

research will find you distributors.
    Our biggest resource was RSR.
    we used Brownells, midway, Vang Comp. Dave's Metal Works, Mesa Tactical, etc.

If there are specific parts you want, such as a name (mesa tactical), best to see if you can go direct with them as it saves a lot of money.

Been out for 3 years now and I can not think off the top of my head who all we used.

Top Bottom