Obama Judge in Illinois Takes Stab at Restoring Gun Rights to Prohibited Persons

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Don't be cheering too much yet. It's another brick out of the wall. This is a decision in a criminal case, applicable to the 2023 "Felon in Possession" charge against Bernard L. Cherry. This was at least Bernie's second time around with "Felon in Possession" after a couple felony convictions before his 2017 Felon in Possession, including aggravated robbery and aggravated attempted vehicle hijacking. He was convicted of it in the 2017 case, and was on supervised release when he was indicted for two counts of it again last September. Bernie is an unsavory dude. In addition, I've not seen anything to indicate it's precedential (i.e. a "Published" decision), especially as it's from a trial court, not an appellate court (e.g. 7th Circuit). It's a "Memorandum" order. The Government may appeal the dismissal of the indictment. Stay tuned.

Memorandum and Order issued by the court:
    https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ilsd.98226/gov.uscourts.ilsd.98226.29.0.pdf

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Oh, I'm not cheering for Bernie. I'm happy because the judge is taking such a literal view of the Bruen decision. For too long, firearms charges have been used to bolster conviction stats while the underlying crime gets laughingly punished. An endless string of weapons violations does little to deter crime. 10 years in club fed for the underlying offence at least reduces recidivism for the length of the sentence.

Top Bottom