• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Seriously? The Obama campaign wants to make it more difficult for military members to vote. :ugh:

"On July 17th, the Obama for America Campaign, the Democratic National Committee and the Ohio Democratic Party filed suit in OH to strike down part of that state's law governing voting by members of the military... Currently, Ohio allows the public to vote early in-person up until the Friday before the election. Members of the military are given three extra days to do so."

http://nation.foxnews.com/military-...-obama-campaign-sues-restrict-military-voting

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    "The exigencies of military duty may preclude the servicemember from complying with normal voting procedures. The three day extension allows extra flexibility to ensure servicemembers are able to vote."

I'm not even a lawyer and I can come up with a rational reason. See my quote above.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I am not surprised at all of anything that O'Bummer and his gang of commies do to try and get him elected. He knows who the military personnel who are likely to vote for and in a tight race state, it just could make the difference of being red or blue. Remember that George Soros either owns or has some control of a company from Spain that the dems are trying to put in control of many of the voting machines used around the country. I never did hear whether or not the dems allowed the military votes to be counted in Bush vs Gore. They were trying to use some technicality about being mailed in by a certain date. Military votes, I have been told, are not mailed in, but hand delivered in large mail bags. Also, I never heard if any of our gutless elected officials made sure that this oversite has been corrected.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The Dems are constantly b****ing that the Republicans are guilty of vote suppression by insisting that only those eligible to vote are doing so, and now they are deliberately trying to disenfranchise an entire class of people who have done more than most others to earn that right. My guess is that if we could follow this issue to its root, there would be grounds for charges of treason.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm all for the military being able to have some privilages, but those of us stationed in NC didn't have the opportunity to vote any different than anyone else. If you can't be there for some reason, vote absentee. If I recall correctly, we ewer able to vote on Green Ranp one time, so even then, we had the opportunity to vote. Under what circumstances would military personnel in Ohio need to have an extra three days? Arguably, unless there is a deployment, a military person may have more time to vote than the average civilian.

"They arguably have more of a right to vote than the rest of us . . . " I certainly disagree with this, so if they want to argue the point, it shoudl be on valid points and not on the heartstrings of the general public.

I just get tired of the "see what they are doing" bickering. Politics is politics and everyone will try to give their side an advantage. Obama's camp brought this up in 2008, so what's the difference? Make it even across the board, adapt and overcome: bring the whole company or platoon to the polls at the same time to show their strength.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Also, a right its not "earned"

so how could they have earned it more so than the rest of the public?

Tell that to Washington, Franklin, et. al. Rights are earned through the diligence of seeing to it that they exist and continue to exist. To put another spin on it, people will eventually get the leadership they deserve as we have had demonstrated to us by a couple of generations who allowed themselves to become convinced that questioning the .gov was inherently unpatriotic, never mind that our founders warned us to apply suspicion to anyone who would approach the jewel of our liberty. Those rights are not extended to those who are not rightfully part of our society. I did not intend to impinge upon the absolute nature of rights but rather highlight the contrast between screaming that it is wrong to filter our such persons as illegal aliens from voting yet make it more difficult for those in the military (who not only are eligible citizens but have signed on to die for the rest of us) to vote.

I will enter a plea of guilty for a poor choice of phrase, but stand behind the intent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Their suit said that part of the law is "arbitrary" with "no discernible rational basis.

Like, you know, the fact that the military tends to be busy DOING something and so the soldiers might need an extra day or two to get their stuff sent in. This is so OBVIOUSLY stupid it strikes me as a ploy to divert attention from something else, since this will probably be front page on Fox and a dozen other "conservative news media" sites.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is this prohibition against ALL military members or simply those abroad?. If its ALL, then I there is certainly a equality issue if a soldier, stateside, is given 3 extra days to vote, while non-military are not.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Is this prohibition against ALL military members or simply those abroad?. If its ALL, then I there is certainly a equality issue if a soldier, stateside, is given 3 extra days to vote, while non-military are not.

From the foxnews article (I provided the bold emphasis of the first paragraph):

The National Defense Committee reports:

[f]or each of the last three years, the Department of Defense’s Federal Voting Assistance Program has reported to the President and the Congress that the number one reason for military voter disenfranchisement is inadequate time to successfully vote.

I think its unconscionable that we as a nation wouldn't make it as easy as possible for members of the military to vote. They arguably have more right to vote than the rest of us, since it is their service and sacrifice that ensures we have the right to vote in the first place.

If anyone proposes legislation to combat voter fraud, Democrats will loudly scream that the proposal could "disenfranchise" some voter, somewhere. We must ensure, they argue, that voting is easy and accessible to every single voter. Every voter, that is, except the men and women of our military.

Make no mistake, the Democrat lawsuit is intended to disenfranchise some unknown number of military voters. The judge should reject it with prejudice.

They can be on 24 hour duty; they can be in the field; they can be on alert and locked down. If they don't know ahead of time, they can't request or submit an absentee ballot.

The Democrats want to ban positive identification of voters because getting a picture ID is "too difficult", but they think it's unfair to authorize military personnel - who CAN be readily identified, BTW - a couple extra days in which to get their vote registered.

In the strictest sense, Kutnupe, you're correct. If everyone isn't included in an exemption, then no one should be, but the voting laws make all sorts of exceptions for various situations, so I'm not sure why one exception should be "bad" while another one is "good".

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But we have been told that our service personnel all love President Obama. I am shocked that he would sue in court to prevent them from voting.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I get asked all the time what my opinion is on my Commander in Chief. Many of them suspect I can't answer the questions honestly, especially when they ask my while I'm wearing my uniform. I finally found an answer that I use.

I think President Obama has been working real hard on behalf of our country. So In November, I'm going to vote for someone else to have an opportunity to lead this nation, and give Pres. Obama a much needed break.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I get asked all the time what my opinion is on my Commander in Chief. Many of them suspect I can't answer the questions honestly, especially when they ask my while I'm wearing my uniform. I finally found an answer that I use.

I think President Obama has been working real hard on behalf of our country. So In November, I'm going to vote for someone else to have an opportunity to lead this nation, and give Pres. Obama a much needed break.

Unfortunately, even such a statement is borderline when you're in uniform (not that I disagree - or even refrained from making such statements myself).

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bet if Obama thought the majority of votes he gets from the military will be for him and other Democrats, this suit wouldn't exist.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bet if Obama thought the majority of votes he gets from the military will be for him and other Democrats, this suit wouldn't exist.

No doubt about that. A soldier from Indiana who maintains his Indiana residence but is stationed in Texas can't just show up to his local voting booth in Texas and cast a vote for the next Governor of Indiana. The extra time allotted is both needed and justified. This suit is crap and not the least bit surprising and pretty much the kind of BS I'd expect from this camp.

Top Bottom