• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    I am getting ready to purchase a "value" priced over/under. I am between the Stoeger Condor, Baikal 27, and the Tri-Star. Any recommendations?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I've tried several and finally came to the conlusion that a "value" o/u isn't worth getting. Unless you have the cash to spend on at least a mid-level o/u you would be better served with a quality gas gun such as the CZ 712/912, Remmy 1100, or Beretta 39x. If you are just doing trap, a good quality pump will do just fine like an older Wingmaster. Just my opinion.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Agreed. Low-cost O/U's can be a real pain. Lockup problems, sucky finish and fit, and heavy weight are the norm at low price points. If you want a decent O/U for little, look at CZ or SKB. I bought my SKB585 for under $800 years back, and she's been with me every bird season since, without a hitch.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    Your intended purpose would be helpful.

For rabbits once or twice a year, you'll be fine with just about anything. If you want to hit the skeet/trap/sporting clays range and maybe hunt with it also, please do yourself a favor and avoid the cheap o/u's... they're really not a 'value' in the long run.

If you're really budget-minded, look for a used Browning, Beretta, or if you absolutely have to, a Ruger.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Im with Westsider and Madcityhoosier have been looking for a while now myself,have looked at quite a few different ones and just not found the right one everyone has opinons and thats cool but just fattening up my budget a bit more spend a little more now and never have to replace.I know my 870 has shot several dumptruck loads without fail.Best of luck just keep your eyes open and something will come along or thats my idea.Also a good reason to get out and about

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Do NOT buy any of those you listed. I recommend a Verona. They were made by FAIR (F. Rizzini) in Italy. There are several models that can be had for under a grand. The importer went out of business and FAIR stopped making the "verona" line but the still makes their main line which are essentially the same guns.
    http://www.fair.it/indexeng.jsp
    Rizzini is one of the best names in o/u shotguns. The verona 980 was made by Zoli - another top line Italian gunmaker but it is expensive.

You will be very happy with a Verona - I should know I own 7 of them!!!!! I have never had an issue with any - not one.

I should add I also own a Browning 525 sporting AND the Zoli LX980 - they are awesome but my Veronas are by far the best guns for the $ I think I have ever bought.

Last edited:

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I have a Baikal, imported by Remington as the SPR310. I have been very happy with it, pull the trigger it goes bang. Bought it couple years ago from an individual for $300 when Dicks was selling new for $400.

I mainly use for sporting clays, have shot as high as 85% with it. I have out shot several folks with me that are using $1500 guns. I am very happy with the gun, and have no interest in spending several times more money for another brand.

It is all relative. If I was a competitive shooter trying to win national titles, I am guessing I wouldn't be using a $300 gun, but it certainly serves its purpose for me

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a SPR 310 (Remington branded Baikal). It was OK after some work. The stock was funky (others since seem better in drop and cast). Mine sucked but I was able to get it decent (comb too high). Thankfully it appears they had extra wood on mine, removal of the offending cellulose left the paddle section the same overall shape dim as a rem 870 field stock.

First shot in the field, 35 yarder
    picture.php

The triggers creaked badly, so I took it apart and chamfered the spring pockets. I also yanked that %$#@ auto safety bar.

Took it dove hunting later that yr and shot 50%. 26" bbls was a little zippy and cost me some birds. I'd rather of had a 28", but somebody special ordered this one at a shop and changed their mind so I got it at cost. No problems with the thin choke tubes- shot dead on. Saw one go back for replacement at a shop because the choketubes blew out. Owner got a new gun, no probs since.

I liked my Citori Magnum, but it shot high for me (am a flat gun slob). if I had one that shot lower that'd be my pick. Have hunted with Rem Peerless and Ruger Redlabel. There my pref is the Red Label, but I never fell in love with that rig either.

My dad has a NIB Redlabel and has offered it to me for break in on several dove hunts. I grab my beater 870 or 1100.

Triples rule.

If one truly wants an OU, I'd save up and get something a little better than the supposed "bargain models" (like others have stated). It'd be great if you could find a used gun in the config you want and try before you buy, or at least pattern test it.

Last edited:

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    If you are careful, you can get an older used Browning Superposed for under $1k... and those are GREAT shotguns of much higher quality than the other brands you mentioned.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    If you are careful, you can get an older used Browning Superposed for under $1k... and those are GREAT shotguns of much higher quality than the other brands you mentioned.

This or watch the classified on here and other sites, I scored a Franchi o/u 12 gauge made in 1964, has hard chromed barrels, single selective trigger and auto ejectors and minor but honest field wear for a great price. There are deals to be found, take your time!

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Several years back i bought a Stoeger O/U From Dick's Sporting goods and did really well with it (no problems with the gun ) But then i went shot with my uncle at his club ! and he let me shoot his Brownings and i really did shoot those better .

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've tried several and finally came to the conlusion that a "value" o/u isn't worth getting. Unless you have the cash to spend on at least a mid-level o/u you would be better served with a quality gas gun such as the CZ 712/912, Remmy 1100, or Beretta 39x. If you are just doing trap, a good quality pump will do just fine like an older Wingmaster. Just my opinion.

Totally agree.

I bought my daughter a O/U this summer for Trap shooting. After looking at the value priced guns like the Stoeger and others I determined they were just pieces of crap that swung like a warped 2x4 piece of lumber and were built about as well as a gun made from Legos.

Because she is left eye dominant and right handed I did not want her to deal with ejection port issues so I stayed away from the pumps and semi-autos and instead chose a CZ O/U shotgun and am VERY IMPRESSED with the build quality of the gun. They come in several choices, from basic to full featured and can be found well below MSRP on Gunbroker.

Top Bottom