• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As a former New Yorker (City and suburbs) I can tell you that they do or at least I know at one time did because I saw them, have a nice system of surface to air missiles. I would guess they are upgrades that were done to the cold war era sites.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If they do have the capability to take down aircraft, where, oh where would they be able to do it to minimize loss of life and damage to property? Unless they were lucky enough to engage out over the Atlantic or do enough damage to dump an aircraft in the Hudson River, just about anywhere else they could be expected to engage and bring one down would cause massive damage and casualties (assuming a wide-body passenger liner or equivalent). It's sort of the equivalent of having an atomic hand grenade in your arsenal: it has a quarter-mile kill radius - who are you going to get to throw it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    "The NYPD has lots of capabilities that you don't know about and you won't know about," Bloomberg told reporters Monday, echoing recent comments by police commissioner Ray Kelly.

Should local police be granted this level of secrecy?

The nation had its first lawsuit filed recently due to hearing loss attributed to LRAD.

Professor sues Pittsburgh for using sonic device at G-20 protest | The Raw Story

My first thought was "and why on earth not?" I'm not saying we need to have access to their "how to take down a building" handbook, but wanting to know exactly what our police forces can bring to bear against us is hardly unreasonable.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As a former New Yorker (City and suburbs) I can tell you that they do or at least I know at one time did because I saw them, have a nice system of surface to air missiles. I would guess they are upgrades that were done to the cold war era sites.
    Sooo...

What are we talking FIM-43 Redeye?!
    SA-7 Grail!?
    9K34 Strela?!
    Blowpipe?!
    FIM-92 Stingers?!
    Starstreaks?!

:popcorn:

If they do have the capability to take down aircraft, where, oh where would they be able to do it to minimize loss of life and damage to property? Unless they were lucky enough to engage out over the Atlantic or do enough damage to dump an aircraft in the Hudson River, just about anywhere else they could be expected to engage and bring one down would cause massive damage and casualties (assuming a wide-body passenger liner or equivalent). It's sort of the equivalent of having an atomic hand grenade in your arsenal: it has a quarter-mile kill radius - who are you going to get to throw it?
    Exactly, Surface to Air Missiles are difficult to use without having to worry about the Canyons of People in NYC. As far as dropping a bird into the Hudson good luck with that one; between Ingress/Egress Routes, Winds, Thermals, the Pilot, and good only knows what else needs to be factored into that shot. It would be purely Divine Intervention for that tho occur...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It becomes more and more apparent each day that our biggest risk from terrorist activity is our own government. They have seized the opportunity, and America has gone along with their evil scheme.
    It is also apparent that the NYPD early warning system sucks. Why did they not at least shoot down the second plane on 9/11? I think they should be sued into oblivion for having the means, and not acting.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sooo...

What are we talking FIM-43 Redeye?!
    SA-7 Grail!?
    9K34 Strela?!
    Blowpipe?!
    FIM-92 Stingers?!
    Starstreaks?!

:popcorn:

Exactly, Surface to Air Missiles are difficult to use without having to worry about the Canyons of People in NYC. As far as dropping a bird into the Hudson good luck with that one; between Ingress/Egress Routes, Winds, Thermals, the Pilot, and good only knows what else needs to be factored into that shot. It would be purely Divine Intervention for that tho occur...

As I stated, both here and in the parallel thread on this, when I was there they were Cold War era SAMS, as in Nike Hercules and Nike Ajax. Given the advances in air defense, I would not even try to hazard a guess as to what Bloomberg spent taxpayer money on in an effort to kill innocent Americans.

As I also stated in the other thread, which I should have copied and pasted here, is that I have to believe that our politicians are stupid enough to order the shooting down of a heavily loaded civilian airliner with the resulting mass casualties on the ground just so they can say they stopped an act of terror. Never mind the "collateral damage".

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Really, isn't anti-aircraft just the next logical step in evolution :dunno:
    peace-officer-memorial-service.jpg

SWAT1474web.71113943_std.jpg

iStock_000007696414Medium.71114442_std.jpg

swat-armored-cars.jpg

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Is this a case of states rights run amuck?:n00b: A state has the ability to "defend it's airspace"? Isn't that the responsibility of the Federal Government? Who would make the call to fire one off? Please don't tell me a State Governor has the ability legally to make that decision.

This is insane, over reacting paramilitary SWAT teams, armored personal carriers, helicoptors with thermal imagers looking into your home, breaking into your home without a warrant, and now the ability to shoot down an airliner??????? JESUS CHRIST... SIEG HEIL!:xmad:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As I stated, both here and in the parallel thread on this, when I was there they were Cold War era SAMS, as in Nike Hercules and Nike Ajax. Given the advances in air defense, I would not even try to hazard a guess as to what Bloomberg spent taxpayer money on in an effort to kill innocent Americans.

As I also stated in the other thread, which I should have copied and pasted here, is that I have to believe that our politicians are stupid enough to order the shooting down of a heavily loaded civilian airliner with the resulting mass casualties on the ground just so they can say they stopped an act of terror. Never mind the "collateral damage".

They had/have ****ing Nike?!

WTF!!!

Those things are Nuclear Capable systems for Christs Sake! Yes those are SAMs. But they are also Surface to Surface Systems with little to no Mods and a 90 Mile range...

Why would any City need that kind of Capability!?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They had/have ****ing Nike?!

WTF!!!

Those things are Nuclear Capable systems for Christs Sake!

Yup, ADA sites all around New York City--Ajax and Hercules.

G. Gordon Liddy used to command a Nike ADA site near New York City. The last ADA site to come down, IIRC, was near Miami in 1980.

If you're freaked out by that, I won't tell you where they had the Davy Crocketts.:laugh: Geez, jeremy, what do you think is around NYC now? Lots of stuff.:D

It's the feds, man, they got it all. Heck, I saw USSS take four Chinooks full of guns into Obama's place he got off the Syrian mobster in Kenwood. Four Chinooks, flippin' Chinooks, full of guns and ammo, plopped them right down in Washington Park in front of all of Chicago and a visiting Hoosier. That doesn't include all the gear and ordanance that they brought in by truck and all the stuff that is staged on the South side just in case.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yup, ADA sites all around New York City--Ajax and Hercules.

G. Gordon Liddy used to command a Nike ADA site near New York City. The last ADA site to come down, IIRC, was near Miami in 1980.

If you're freaked out by that, I won't tell you where they had the Davy Crocketts.:laugh: Geez, jeremy, what do you think is around NYC now? Lots of stuff.:D

It's the feds, man, they got it all. Heck, I saw USSS take four Chinooks full of guns into Obama's place he got off the Syrian mobster in Kenwood. Four Chinooks, flippin' Chinooks, full of guns and ammo, plopped them right down in Washington Park in front of all of Chicago and a visiting Hoosier. That doesn't include all the gear and ordanance that they brought in by truck and all the stuff that is staged on the South side just in case.
    Davy Crocketts:laugh:, that is a Blast from the past. Max Range of 2.5 mile of a 20T (TNT equivalent) Warhead...
    LOL!!

I expect the Feds to have the Toys, Being the POTUS allows one to have a Toy box of Cool Toys, and the Legal Abilities to use them as well. Being a Mayor not so much...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Like I said, you don't want to know where Big Army had the Crocketts.:D

NYC=the feds. The city is 8 million people with a chokehold on the economy. NYC gets what it wants and more.

Top Bottom