• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was born a poor child in Gary, next to Michael Jackson.

Lived in Gary, Hammond, Griffith, Highland and multiple Chicago suburbs at different time in my life. I don't take any offense to the term "Region Rat" My best buddy is from Hammond.

If anything it is a badge of honor, before the government decided to let the lawless destroy it, the hard working men in the Calumet region had a big hand in building the modern world. That steel for railways, bridges, sky scrapers and transportation AND the fuel to use it all was a significant contribution to all the great stuff that was built.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I was born a poor child in Gary, next to Michael Jackson.

Lived in Gary, Hammond, Griffith, Highland and multiple Chicago suburbs at different time in my life. I don't take any offense to the term "Region Rat" My best buddy is from Hammond.

If anything it is a badge of honor, before the government decided to let the lawless destroy it, the hard working men in the Calumet region had a big hand in building the modern world. That steel for railways, bridges, sky scrapers and transportation AND the fuel to use it all was a significant contribution to all the great stuff that was built.
    Plus the school system of Gary around the 1910’s became the blueprint for the American school system.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Plus the school system of Gary around the 1910’s became the blueprint for the American school system.
    I remember that at one time Edison High School was such a great center for STEM subjects, that Mayors and Governors from all over the country came to visit and learn about it. I am pretty sure that was shortly after WWII. I am pretty sure at least 30 public school building have been closed or torn down. Lew Wallace is level with the ground, I watched them tear that one down

1956 the new concept in shopping was founded, called the Village shopping center, Multiple stores in a central location sharing a large parking lot. The auto friendly shopping mall.

It is amazing how 1967 changed things and allowed crime to flourish. The city lost 100,000 law abiding tax payers and has struggled ever since. The State and the Feds have dumped boxcars full of money into Gary and it just stays stuck to the bottom

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For the OP, Cedar Lake is also known as "Cedartucky".
    I have not been there in a long time, maybe since 1980. The east side of the lake where 133rd street comes in had a bank that you drove under for drive through service. There was the Coleman hotel and a Ben Franklin dime store, the Dairy Queen and a liquor store and the Midway Ballroom built right over the lake. The Honda dealer south maybe a 1/2 mile. Plenty of opportunity to have fun or to get in trouble. I heard the Midway was gone years ago.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I have not been there in a long time, maybe since 1980. The east side of the lake where 133rd street comes in had a bank that you drove under for drive through service. There was the Coleman hotel and a Ben Franklin dime store, the Dairy Queen and a liquor store and the Midway Ballroom Brawlroom built right over the lake. The Honda dealer south maybe a 1/2 mile. Plenty of opportunity to have fun or to get in trouble. I heard the Midway was gone years ago.
    FIFY! :cool:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I have not been there in a long time, maybe since 1980. The east side of the lake where 133rd street comes in had a bank that you drove under for drive through service. There was the Coleman hotel and a Ben Franklin dime store, the Dairy Queen and a liquor store and the Midway Ballroom built right over the lake. The Honda dealer south maybe a 1/2 mile. Plenty of opportunity to have fun or to get in trouble. I heard the Midway was gone years ago.

Ahhhhh....Cedar Lake.
    All the landmarks are gone, but the smell still remains!

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    It has all changed on the east side. The high class lighthouse restaurant is there along with condo's that Dean White built.
    The south end had the houses torn down and new development there also.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It has all changed on the east side. The high class lighthouse restaurant is there along with condo's that Dean White built.
    The south end had the houses torn down and new development there also.
    I'll have to make a point of going past that way again. A couple years ago I took my wife up to State Street and Archer in Chicago where I had spent some time as a car driving hoodlum. It was all gone, I did not recognize the area at all. Crap, I am starting to sound like my grandfather.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I heard it called the 'Region' back in the early seventies. This was from just east of Michigan City west to the state line and south to about US 30. It was called that, as far as I know, due to the regional Purdue campuses in Hammond and Westville. People at Purdue Lafayette referred to the area around the regional campuses as the 'Region'. I was from Michigan City and when I started at Purdue and people asked me where I was from and I told them, the response was "Oh, you from the Region."

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom