NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Staying warm in Sauk Village.
    272843515_10221472214139677_3834410797459363355_n.jpg
    The joy of working on a loading dock. Back in the days when I worked for Landgrebe in Valpo the south end of the building was wide open for loading flat bed trucks off the dock.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    When in tech school in Connecticut I did offloading of belly trailers for FedEx. Many single digit nights goon in and out of trailers, sweating my ass off unloading as fast as I possibly could.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When in tech school in Connecticut I did offloading of belly trailers for FedEx. Many single digit nights goon in and out of trailers, sweating my ass off unloading as fast as I possibly could.
    I did the same for UPS when in tech school in Illinois. Absolutely sucked.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    TV's rats are probably on there.
    Lol. Thankfully I've got enough to keep Kevin fed for the next year but I'll probably have to make another order for Gamora around late March. We should be past the icy roads by then as long as my patented Jedi Sleepin' Brick does its job.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I wouldn't say it sucked too bad. It put money in my pocket, at that time I was training alot so it was incredible excersize and it kept me away from the dorms. Especially good when I was dating some whack job that moved herself into my dorm room after first day of meeting/screwing her.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Tech school was nuts.

30 mins to school from dorms
    7am-2pm
    30 min further drive to fedex
    FedEx double shifts 3-9
    Back at dorms around 1030

Beat the P up for 20 mins, eat dinner. Then bed.

Rinse N repeat.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Schneider I stayed in the trailer but it was sometimes 3 or 4 stops out of a 48' or 53', a couple hours per stop because it was just me placing stuff on the rollers and I was limited by the 3-6 flunkies working at Family Dollar who somehow couldn't keep up with me. Eby was one or two dozen stops and I had run stuff on a dolly up and down the ramp and maneuver through the general[ly stupid/ignorant/stupid] public in gas stations, and that was an all day, occasionally burning out the 14 hour clock kind of job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My problem was when I had one job in a control room, then the next job was trying to solder 7 connection in a small housing, at zero degrees, 200 feet up in the air... all while trying to use battery powered soldering irons that MIGHT complete one solder joint before the battery ran out.

Then, into another room, up in the air with a heater. Above the waist it was 80 degrees. Below, if you spilled water on the floor it would freeze because below the floor was open air.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I did the same for UPS when in tech school in Illinois. Absolutely sucked.
    Relative to the times, those part time jobs at UPS used to pay really well. Around 1980, my older brother was struggling in tech school and took a 4am-8am package handling shift at the UPS terminal next to campus. He eventually quit school but stayed with the part time UPS job. Like you guys, he said the work could suck. For him, it ultimately led to a 35 year career as a delivery driver and over the road driver.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Literally everyone I know that loaded a truck, "It sucked."

:horse:
    I used to UNLOAD trucks using gravity feed roller conveyor.

There were 2 days that were most hated. The day that a truckload of paper bags arrived. And the day that a truckload of Kingsford charcoal arrived. Every bale and every bag of charcoal came off that truck by hand, and had to be restocked onto pallets.

Those were miserable days :fogey:

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I used to UNLOAD trucks using gravity feed roller conveyor.

There were 2 days that were most hated. The day that a truckload of paper bags arrived. And the day that a truckload of Kingsford charcoal arrived. Every bale and every bag of charcoal came off that truck by hand, and had to be restocked onto pallets.

Those were miserable days :fogey:
    Since everyone is pitching in a truck unloading story. I'll throw in mine. After installing a fire alarm or burg alarm? in Shelton fireworks when they first came to Burns Harbor, my boss pimped us out for a day or two of unloading semi trailers full of fireworks. Way way short time, And I was 18, so I guess that's why it didn't stick out in my "worst" category...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Us railroaders have you beat. Working outside walking 110 car trains in 18 below weather with snow up to your waist trying to lace stiff air hoses. Carrying a piece a paper in your car almost every winter so you can drive to and from work when the county shuts down the roads.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom