• Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I use to be a member years ago... When they started charging per visit to the range on top of the annual fee I found the IKES down near Shelby. Otherwise nice club though, much closer up here than where I go now...

The snow is leaving, the snow is leaving... oh joy... Wasn't sure if I should have had my coat on today or not so I left it on anyways... Don't want to be part of the sick people with this weather flip... Did get some range time this afternoon though and got the new shotty out and patterned somewhat... I like the gun, going to have to find a load she likes though...

moss410500.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    the charge fee goes DIRECTLY to buy new backstop material which gets changed every few years.

Correct on the money going to backstop material however we do a partial rebuild at 6 months then a complete at 1 year. We pretty much just did the complete rebuild a few months ago.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    while i dislike fees as well.
    this is one i see as a needed evil.
    if u had your own private indoor range you woukd have to do this as well every so often. i imagine i woukd just save $5 a month to cover the cost of doing a replacement every year or xyz time. this fee is the same concept.

NOTE I AM NOT A MEMBER

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    while i dislike fees as well.
    this is one i see as a needed evil.
    if u had your own private indoor range you woukd have to do this as well every so often. i imagine i woukd just save $5 a month to cover the cost of doing a replacement every year or xyz time. this fee is the same concept.

NOTE I AM NOT A MEMBER

The fee doesnt bother me to much especially beacuse of the fact most times we go there, we'll spend 2-3 hours easily and very, very rarely are you interrupted by someone else while shooting.
    We go about 2-3 times per month and out of those 24-36 range trips per year, there might be once someone is there and we have to wait, or someone shows up while we are shooting.
    Whats nice is the daughter loves archery as well, so we always take her compound bow. That way if someone is there, she can practice that for awhile waiting on the range to open up.
    We were there today and no shooters so we spent 2 hours in the gun range then came up and she did archery for another 45 minutes or so.

Only drawback to having the range all to yourself and shooting for 2-3 hours is the ammo consumption lol

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm not telling them not to do it, I just started looking around once they did. At the one I'm at now there isn't any added fees, although that doesn't mean the membership doesn't donate time or money throughout the year to update the range. In the last couple years they have built up the berm 2 and a half times the original width and they have added steel plates and more target holders and tables etc. All done with members donations which weren't mandated as a fee.

Like I said I liked the club, I only used the range though... I had no use for the bar etc... The one I'm at now has river access and fishing ability also which fit into my uses better.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Y'all should have collected those hockey pucks during the big freeze as they probably froze before they hit the ground.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Thanks so much for the info on Glen Park. Sounds great to me.

D.kauf and B'ser pretty much covered it....the indoor range is the complete opposite of a Point Blank, but that's something I prefer. It's not fancy be any means, but I like the freedom you have there. Since I'm up anyway, I've been going at 7am and have nearly never had any company until after 8 or 8:30. I was told recently that there are plans to upgrade the lighting...a good thing!! The rubber panels that are hung in front of the steel deflectors have a "shelf life" from being shot, and need to be changed out periodically. This is where the visit fee goes. Helping with the backstop rebuilds is the only extra thing the club has asked of me.

If you want to hook up for a visit just shoot me a pm. You can give it a try as a guest.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    I use to be a member years ago... When they started charging per visit to the range on top of the annual fee I found the IKES down near Shelby. Otherwise nice club though, much closer up here than where I go now.

What is this place? Is it the Izaak Walton down there? My google search turns up nada. Thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom