• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    The NRA convention in Charlotte is less than a month away and the NRA just now posts on their site. WTF?

North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, the Bojangles Coliseum, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check.

Here's the link to the site..........

NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home

You can contact them @ NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Contact Us

My response:

I will not be attending the NRA convention this year due to the decision to hold it in Charlotte, NC.

I was looking forward to attending and really enjoyed the convention 2 years ago in Louisville, KY.

I am a NRA life member and a lifetime Indiana LTCH permit holder. Charlotte STOMPS on my Second amendment rights by not allowing me to carry my weapon. This is a terrible decision by the planners of this event for the NRA.

I would hope that the NRA will show some BACKBONE in the future in planning these annual events in a more pro second amendment location.

Richard Poff

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One would THINK that an organization like the NRA would have their convention somewhere that respects the Second Amendment more than North Carolina. Would they have it in DC? Would they have it in NY or CA? If I were president, NEVER!

Why not REWARD states that are on your side?
    If you're not "voting with your dollars" you're not serious about your issue.

NRA, if you're listening, why not have your next convention in one of the following 'friendlier' states (in no particular order)?: KY, LA, OK, AL, MO, ND, UT, WV, MS, AZ, FL, ID, NM, SD, GA, KS, TN, IN, MT, SC, TX, VT, or WY.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Kinda like blaming the messenger for the message. I dislike the idea of the laws but at the same time the NRA tries to allow as many states as possible to host the Convention. I don't see why the people and members who live in Charlotte and in NC should be denied the privilege because the state laws suck. Rather than railing against the NRA the fight for rights should be against the state legislature. Also calling the Convention anti 2nd Amendment is a gross misstatement in my opinion.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Kinda like blaming the messenger for the message. I dislike the idea of the laws but at the same time the NRA tries to allow as many states as possible to host the Convention. I don't see why the people and members who live in Charlotte and in NC should be denied the privilege because the state laws suck. Rather than railing against the NRA the fight for rights should be against the state legislature. Also calling the Convention anti 2nd Amendment is a gross misstatement in my opinion.

Although I understand your position I do disagree. If I was willing to travel to Charlotte for a convention, I am sure people in Charlotte would travel to a convention held in a more pro second amendment state/city. My money supports the NRA and I would hope they would use that money to fund their convention with a center that would appreciate it! :popcorn:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The NRA convention in Charlotte is less than a month away and the NRA just now posts on their site. WTF?

North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, the Bojangles Coliseum, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check.

Here's the link to the site..........

NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home

You can contact them @ NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Contact Us

My response:

I will not be attending the NRA convention this year due to the decision to hold it in Charlotte, NC.

I was looking forward to attending and really enjoyed the convention 2 years ago in Louisville, KY.

I am a NRA life member and a lifetime Indiana LTCH permit holder. Charlotte STOMPS on my Second amendment rights by not allowing me to carry my weapon. This is a terrible decision by the planners of this event for the NRA.

I would hope that the NRA will show some BACKBONE in the future in planning these annual events in a more pro second amendment location.

Richard Poff

Sorry to disappoint you but this is 3 day old news here...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/87090-no_carry.html

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I agree with Rick on this one! If the laws of that state are against you why give them your money.
    I do agree that moving the convention around is a good idea so a lot of the membership can attend without too much travel. But, still don't give our money to a anti-gun state or city.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I just got this form letter response from the NRA:

Thank you for contacting us.
    The Charlotte Convention Center does not allow the carrying of firearms, both open and concealed.
    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Thank you for your support!
    Best Regards,
    Sarah
    NRA Member Communications
    P.S. Please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence.
    Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message. This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!

Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:57 AM
    To: AM Response
    Subject: Charlotte NRA annual meeting

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    A double edged sword

The NRA does an ok job of standing up for most gun owners, but they do nothing for us NFA owners.

Been a beef of mine for many years.

I just called asking why they don't hold their convention here, in Indianapolis, we are good enough for the Fire Department Instructor's Conference, good enough for the 2012 Super Bowl, but not good enough for the NRA?

I told the guy this thread was going on, he went to it right away and was very concerned, or seemed like it. He went on to give me some lame story like "Sarah" gave Ultra Rick. I'm really surprised Ultra Rick that you got any reply, they won't answer my emails, and I made the mistake of becoming an Endowment Life Member. The Annual Meetings were held in Indianapolis, in like 1974-1975? I was in High School, am going to Charlotte, for myself, not for them.

Maybe someday it will be here, guess the right palms have not been greased yet.

Oh, and NRA, my membership number is 149789, just so you know.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    The NRA does an ok job of standing up for most gun owners, but they do nothing for us NFA owners.

Been a beef of mine for many years.

I just called asking why they don't hold their convention here, in Indianapolis, we are good enough for the Fire Department Instructor's Conference, good enough for the 2012 Super Bowl, but not good enough for the NRA?

I told the guy this thread was going on, he went to it right away and was very concerned, or seemed like it. He went on to give me some lame story like "Sarah" gave Ultra Rick. I'm really surprised Ultra Rick that you got any reply, they won't answer my emails, and I made the mistake of becoming an Endowment Life Member. The Annual Meetings were held in Indianapolis, in like 1974-1975? I was in High School, am going to Charlotte, for myself, not for them.

Maybe someday it will be here, guess the right palms have not been greased yet.

Oh, and NRA, my membership number is 149789, just so you know.

If the NRA actually reads this thread my life member # is 10628497

Top Bottom