• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bloomington
    I was wondering if anyone knows what is involved and how to become a certified NRA instructor? I'm in the Bloomington area and would like to get more involved with helping others get involved with firearms. Is there local classes you can register for?

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I am curious about this as well. If you become an instructor, do you have to "teach" a certain amount of classes a year? If you become an Instructor, do you have to do anything with the certification?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I am curious about this as well. If you become an instructor, do you have to "teach" a certain amount of classes a year? If you become an Instructor, do you have to do anything with the certification?
    No, you don't have to do anything with it. You don't have to teach any classes if you don't want to. I've been an NRA certified rifle and pistol instructor for about twenty years now and have never taught a formal NRA class. Doesn't mean I haven't taught anyone, just not the official classes. When you turn in your test and application to the NRA they will ask if you want to have people referred to you. You can tell them no.

+1 for Charles Schick. He taught my classes. He knows his stuff, especially when it comes to high power rifle shooting.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    No, you don't have to do anything with it. You don't have to teach any classes if you don't want to. I've been an NRA certified rifle and pistol instructor for about twenty years now and have never taught a formal NRA class. Doesn't mean I haven't taught anyone, just not the official classes. When you turn in your test and application to the NRA they will ask if you want to have people referred to you. You can tell them no.

+1 for Charles Schick. He taught my classes. He knows his stuff, especially when it comes to high power rifle shooting.

That is what I am looking for. I don't really want to teach formal classes. I just thought that it would be nice for my own benifit to be able to say that I am an NRA certified instructor, if and when I take a new person out shooting.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    That was my idea, too. I've found that people will listen to someone that has a title behind their name sooner than they will to someone without it. Some people are more comfortable finding out that I carry around them or their kids knowing that I am a certified instructor. I guess it makes it seem like I'm more responsible. I believe that some states will accept the NRA certification as proof of training when applying for a nonresident permit that requires actual firearms qualification, but I'm not 100% sure on that

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    That was my idea, too. I've found that people will listen to someone that has a title behind their name sooner than they will to someone without it. Some people are more comfortable finding out that I carry around them or their kids knowing that I am a certified instructor. I guess it makes it seem like I'm more responsible. I believe that some states will accept the NRA certification as proof of training when applying for a nonresident permit that requires actual firearms qualification, but I'm not 100% sure on that

Now thats what I was thinking! Thanks for the advice!:ingo:

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    My conclusion from this thread: Nobody has any hard data on NRA Instructor Training courses being offered in Central/Southern Indiana. Apparently Doc Schick offers them--call him.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    My conclusion from this thread: Nobody has any hard data on NRA Instructor Training courses being offered in Central/Southern Indiana. Apparently Doc Schick offers them--call him.

Or, you go to NRA website that was posted and search for the instructor training and contact co-ordinator for the classes given. Not too complicated.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Take the class you want to teach. Then take the Instructor Development Course. When I did mine I got a package deal for Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer in one weekend. The RSO course is great to have if you are going to be running a firing line with people you don't know. Good luck!

Last edited:

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Or, you go to NRA website that was posted and search for the instructor training and contact co-ordinator for the classes given. Not too complicated.

Did it. There are no courses listed in Indiana. Select All instructor level courses, put in Indiana as the state and get zero hits:

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Kinda hard to call the people if there no coordinator listed. Or, was there a different link that I missed?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Did it. There are no courses listed in Indiana. Select All instructor level courses, put in Indiana as the state and get zero hits:

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Kinda hard to call the people if there no coordinator listed. Or, was there a different link that I missed?

That's been my beef too.

Why don't they just list the NRA Training Counselors so you can call/e-mail them.

I've left a half dozen phone messages with the NRA over the past couple years and only one of them has been returned.

Once I actually called and a person answered the phone.

Maybe I just have bad timing?

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I went to the link and it looks like you can do the RSO class at home--aka--correspondence course. Found this in the 2009 newsletter page 16.

Steve

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    I went to the link and it looks like you can do the RSO class at home--aka--correspondence course. Found this in the 2009 newsletter page 16.

Steve

Note that you have to already have Instructor certification to be able to get the RSO certification through home study course.

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    That's been my beef too.

Why don't they just list the NRA Training Counselors so you can call/e-mail them.

I've left a half dozen phone messages with the NRA over the past couple years and only one of them has been returned.

Once I actually called and a person answered the phone.

Maybe I just have bad timing?

I had similar problems finding Training Counselors. I ended up calling NRA training dept and they mailed a list of counselors in Indiana and Ohio. I ended up taking the training in Ohio.

Top Bottom