Now that Illinois has joined the rest of the country....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I tend to agree since most of the gun crime in Chicago occurs in predominantly über poor inner city communities. There are decent people living in these neighborhoods, but being that they are impoverished localities, the good folks will be effectively priced out of being able to carry legally. Also, (and my memory is a little vague on this) Didn't either Cook County or Chicago pretty much make it nearly impossible for inner city folks to attend the training required to get a FOID card by outlawing ranges within them? So, aside from the financial hurdle, the restrictions against carrying on public transportation as part of the State Law means that many Chicago residents who rely on busses and CTS are pretty much screwed with being able to attend the 16 hours of required training as well.

Chicago and Cook county will continue to be war zones and the fact that the relaxation of gun laws has little to no effect will be a soap box for the progressives and gun grabbers to stand on. (By design, I suspect)

You don't need training for a FOID, but if you are a Chicago resident, you do need training for their separate Chicago Firearms License. You ARE correct though, Chicago has outlawed shooting ranges in city limits so if you are someone who doesn't have a vehicle, you have to figure out some way to get to the suburbs to get to the range.

If this bill becomes law, to have a gun as a Chicago resident and legally be able to carry it, you will need:

1. Illinois FOID card: $10/10 years.
    2. Training course for Chicago permit: $100.
    3. Chicago Firearms Permit: $100/3 years.
    4. Registration of handgun with Chicago: $15
    5. Training for IL CCW: $150.
    6. IL CCW Fee: $150.

So, all together, to be a resident of Chicago and own and carry a hangun it would cost you $525 initially, and another $325 when you have to renew both your Chicago Permit and your IL CCW.

I don't know how this can pass Consitutional muster!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You don't need training for a FOID, but if you are a Chicago resident, you do need training for their separate Chicago Firearms License. You ARE correct though, Chicago has outlawed shooting ranges in city limits so if you are someone who doesn't have a vehicle, you have to figure out some way to get to the suburbs to get to the range.

If this bill becomes law, to have a gun as a Chicago resident and legally be able to carry it, you will need:

So, all together, to be a resident of Chicago and own and carry a hangun it would cost you $525 initially, and another $325 when you have to renew both your Chicago Permit and your IL CCW.

I think criminals have the better deal. Seems to me they are closer to being able to carry Constitutionally then most law abiding citizen's that are subject to this abomination. :rolleyes:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL

The carry bill nullifies Chicago's handgun training and registration system. Points 2 through 4 will no longer apply.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The carry bill nullifies Chicago's handgun training and registration system. Points 2 through 4 will no longer apply.

Looks like you're right... for licensees. If you get a CCW, you don't have to register handguns in the city. I guess it would still be in place for those who don't get a CCW?

Section 90. Preemption.
    The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and
    transportation of concealed handguns and ammunition for
    concealed handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and
    functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion
    thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act
    that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on
    licensees or concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed
    handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be
    invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the
    effective date of this Act.
    This Section is a denial and
    limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection
    (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

Lastly,
    Given that this preemption only covers licensees, is it safe to assume that if you don't get an IL CCW, even if you are transporting under the new section of the law that allows out-of-state licensees to carry in their vehicles, that you would not be exempt from Chicago's magazine limit, and could potentially run afoul of the law in a traffic stop in Chicago?

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Before you get yourself or someone else in trouble, you better reread whatever it is that you have read or clarify. Because you are not even close to factual.

Actually his post was pretty accurate.

Everyone should be forewarned that there are a $#!^TON of minutae in this bill. It is 168 pages long and very complicated. There are some real freedoms and progress in the bill POSSIBLY, but also a lot of clear pitfalls. A considerable amount of case law will be necessary to see how it all plays out in the long term. And, of course, all laws (excepting non-amendments to the U.S. Constitution) can be changed with enough public support.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I can only encourage everyone who lives in IL to go through the new motion, show the government there that once this law passed that not just a few people will sign up for a permit, everyone will sign up. I want the IL government to be overwhelmed with apps from people and realize how big this is.

If I live in IL, I will not let the high costs deter me.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    We're only halfway home with the bill landing on Quinn's desk.

Given his rabid anti-gun tendencies, I'm looking for him to stall it for almost sixty days, then to offer an amendatory veto, rewriting big parts of the bill to suit him and sending it back to the legislature. In so many words, it's a veto and wouldn't be acted upon until this fall.

Illinois politics is very fluid and crooked.

We'll see how crazy Lisa Madigan's request for an extension on the stay goes...

If I had to guess, I'm going to say the 7th CCOA isn't going to be real impressed with how Illinois state government has handled this.

No reciprocity.

John

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    Ill has passed a carry bill but they will use regulation and training requirements to make it impossible for most if not all to get that license.
    most chicago residents wont even be able to carry. no parks or public transportation. most chicogans i know dont have a car or dont use

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    most chicago residents wont even be able to carry. no parks or public transportation. most chicogans i know dont have a car or dont use
    Then they'll be forced to carry the way they currently carry or the way many us of who once lived in California carried. Don't ask, don't tell.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Didn't realize ....

The English Nazi's were so easily offended. :D
    I was replying to the previous post and I believe most people knew that I was referring to the recently passed legislation stating the car carry w/ out of state license. That was further reinforced by my stating that one could pay $300 for a non res license.

The guy I was quoting was speaking in the present.tense.

I havent read your other thread but am familiar with the above proposed bill.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The CA7 Judge Posner has granted the 30 day extension with the note that there will be no more extensions from the CA7. So, we are still waiting now till July 9th. Jim.

Top Bottom