• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So the last thing I really wanna add to my collection is a bolt gun, just seems iconic and such. I have a AR10 with a mega arms 18in barrel that’s pretty dang good with match ammo. I can’t decide if I wanna get a bolt gun also in .308 or should I go the classic 30-06?

i like savage acu triggers cuz they don’t need much besides a optic out the box but I’m open to other budget friendly ideas.

So I guess what caliber would you recommend? I had a 7mm magnum in the past that kicked pretty good outta a savage 111 but never got it past 100yrds. I read alot that is a super flat round with good ballistics. But ammo has gone up so much since back then lol.

i also just like to collect lol I like having shared calibers is the only reason I kinda want .308 less calibers to buy lol. But it’s a bolt gun so I wouldn’t have to stock more then a few boxes of ammo.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Unless you just want the extra cost and recoil of the .30-06 - stick with .308 as you've already got (hopefully) an ammo supply as well as a general understanding of how that bullet will fly.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Unless you just want the extra cost and recoil of the .30-06 - stick with .308 as you've already got (hopefully) an ammo supply as well as a general understanding of how that bullet will fly.
    Ok wasn’t sure how much better 30-06 was. I don’t reload but do have a stock or .308. For s bolt gun what’s best length for .308? 20 or 24 seems to be most common.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What is the purpose of this new rifle and how far do you plan on shooting it?

If it's for punching paper and hitting steel under say 300 yards, the 308 will do everything you need it to do ang you already have some.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    .308 win is good for 1000 yards + in certain applications - like ringing steel & punching paper. (Edited to add: it's done a lot of .mil sniping over the years at the 1000+ yard applicaiton. It's def not just a target shooting gun at distance)

Remember - the .308 was basically developed as a more modern replacement for the .30-'06. Basically does everything that the old long-action cartridge does in a shorter, lighter, more efficient package that also has slightly less felt recoil.

As far as what barrel length? That honestly all depends on what you want to do with the gun. Super long range? Then probably 20+ ". For the longest ranges, I'd probably go with the longest barrel I could.

If you stay under 500 yards for your shooting, then 18-20" is probably just fine. An 18" barrel + a 8" suppressor is still a pretty long stick. And yes, you should spend another $1000 on a suppressor, too. :-D

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    For your stated use, a .308 will do just fine. I’ve shot out to 1,000 yards with one and did well enough. For paper out to 500 yards and general hunting, it’s all you’ll ever need.

The .30-06 is a fantastic cartridge, but unless the rifle you want only comes in .30-06, or you reload so you can really unlock the round’s true potential, there isn’t a significant benefit to it over the .308 for the casual uses you state.

Top Bottom