• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Looking into possibly getting into reloading. Specifically 9mm and 45 acp rounds. What I am wondering how intricate is the process of reloading? Is it something that requires exceptional fine motor skills? If a person were to have somewhat low manipulating ability would that preclude you from doing it?

Thanks

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Whether you're using a single stage, or progressive press, the process is not necessarily intricate.
    If the goal is to load range/plinking ammo, you can utilize published data, and need only verify that your powder charge, primer seating, bullet depth (COAL), and crimp are reliably to spec.
    Either way, I wouldn't say it requires exceptionally fine motor skills. Rather patience, and attention to details, are the skillset required.
    If you are distracted easily, reloading is not for you. This is how "Kabooms" happen.

There are repetitive physical motions that are needed to set up a reloader and operate it, but it doesn't call for a surgeon's skill.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Depends on the press, placing the casing on by hand or having a case feeder. Also placing the bullet by hand or a bullet feeder.
    Edit to repete from above, if you can pay attention and follow directions reloading isn't that hard.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If you can turn a dripping faucet off, read a scale, set a marble in a thimble, squeeze the water out of a washcloth with one hand, jack up a car (without breaking the jack), and turn an open end wrench one eighth of a turn, then you possess the skills to safely reload most pistol cartridges to published spec.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Its not hard at all. If you can read a manual and apply what you have read to fixing or making something..ie cookbook car repair you can reload. And you should. It adds another dimension to the hobby. And its a great way to enjoy the hobby when the weather is like this. Winter is a great time to reload

Edit. Buy a good reloading manual and read it before you decide. You will have a better idea of what's needed and youtube has alot of info there but, only use loads from a published manual

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I would just add that the cost of off-the-shelf 9mm is now less than (or at best equal to) what I can reload it for - not sure about 45. If you are looking to do it for your particular performance needs, disregard :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like to reload so I can tailor a load to work in my pistols for the intended use. Reloading is not hard, but requires attention like others have mentioned.

Develop a "system" that works for you. I load on a single stage and have built in many redundancies. Knock on wood, I have never had any issues with my rounds. I haven't loaded as much as others here, but I have loaded 5K per year for the last few years.

This year looks like it will be zero though due to not being able to get primers. I loaded my last primers last winter and haven't been able to score what I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

So for now, this next year will be factory ammo and .22.

Good luck. You may be able to find some equipment at a decent deal. I gotta think there are some frustrated loaders out there that are giving up on the hobby.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I would just add that the cost of off-the-shelf 9mm is now less than (or at best equal to) what I can reload it for - not sure about 45. If you are looking to do it for your particular performance needs, disregard :)
    Yeah due to what I paid for 9 mm fmj projectiles it cost me $.23 per round to reload, and I am starting to see factory loaded for around $.25 per rnd.

Using coated .45 projectiles it only cost me $.19 per round but factory ammo is still over $.50 per rnd.

For now I’m concentrating on cranking out .45 and .223.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yeah due to what I paid for 9 mm fmj projectiles it cost me $.23 per round to reload, and I am starting to see factory loaded for around $.25 per rnd.

Using coated .45 projectiles it only cost me $.19 per round but factory ammo is still over $.50 per rnd.

For now I’m concentrating on cranking out .45 and .223.
    That's pretty good. Using once fired brass and berry's I think I'm still at .30/round but that's factoring in $100 primer bricks.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I started reloading 45 acp at age 25 on a Dillon Square Deal B press. It came pretty much all set up to crank out good ammo. Almost foolproof. The 45acp brass is large enough to easily inspect and handle. It was extremely easy to crank out proven standard loads like 230 fmj or 200 lswc and they shot great with no reliability issues. Have not done any math on this but I'm guessing that you could produce 45acp somewhat cheaper than store bought even with today's component prices.

I reload 9mm but you don't normally see much cost savings with this caliber. I reload it because I like to make my own ammo and tune to the gun and make power factor for competition.. The small case is harder to work with and will give you a few more headaches now and then.

I really enjoy loading 38 special. It is a pleasure to load and super easy case to work with.. You really can see some big cost savings loading 38's compared to store bought plus the availability factor as it is difficult to find 38 special on the shelf these days.

Handloading is a great hobby and just seems to complete the shooting circle for me. I spend some money on components but never think about the cost once the ammo is made. I just shoot it and enjoy.

Reloading won't save you any money most likely, but if you have the time, space, money, patience, and interest, try it out. Get a reloading manual like the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook and read it to see if this really is of interest to you.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thanks everyone, I want to reload 45 acp for range use. I am going to look into it. My concern was perhaps with the primers I thought they might be too small for me to perhaps work with.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    How do you manage to do it for .12?
    I am gonna guess he still has primers from years ago long with bullets and powder too. I am still reloading most of my ammo at present with stuff i bought years ago, my wife thinks i stock up too much but now it has paid off. I have recently been buying rifle powders though as a jug doesn't last as long as it does for pistol!

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am gonna guess he still has primers from years ago long with bullets and powder too. I am still reloading most of my ammo at present with stuff i bought years ago, my wife thinks i stock up too much but now it has paid off. I have recently been buying rifle powders though as a jug doesn't last as long as it does for pistol!
    Ah yeah probably. I still have some old primers but I still figure the cost at $100/brick since that's what it is to replace it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom