• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    In a few weeks, I will be making my annual trip to Alaska. This trip will be different though. Instead of flying, I will be driving up the Alaska Highway.

The plan is to fly out to Salt Lake, Utah and meet a friend who is driving up. From there, we will head to Great Falls, Montana, then north to Canada. Our first destination is Anchorage. He is selling his house near there and moving to Soldotna. I will help him pack up and move his household goods. After that, I hope to spend 4-5 days at my cabin before I fly home.

In preparation for the trip, I picked up a new copy of the MILEPOST. It contains updated info on travel up the Alcan. It is a great resource for planning and making the trip. 20240423_122521.jpg
    As I prepare and make the trip, I will post updates.

20230707_203946.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    A question what will be your firearm choice, if any? Driving through Canada, only shotguns are allowed, or hunting rifles. A friend I know drove through to Alaska, and had a shotgun, that the Canucks ziptied, and said if they were removed he would be prosecuted..

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    A question what will be your firearm choice, if any? Driving through Canada, only shotguns are allowed, or hunting rifles. A friend I know drove through to Alaska, and had a shotgun, that the Canucks ziptied, and said if they were removed he would be prosecuted..
    No firearms will be carried on this trip. I know that sounds insane, but the Canadian government has gone into full oppression mode in regards to firearms and personal liberty. To get approval to travel with a firearm through Canada requires permission from the state. That process can be done, but once you arrive at the border, plan on hours of delays, inspections, questions and threats. My friends and family who travel on the ALCAN have all experienced this first hand.

Self defense items such as pepper spray are also forbidden. We are allowed to carry bear spray since we will be camping out along the highway. I plan on picking up two cans of bear spray in Salt Lake City, to take on the trip.

On my return flight home, I will be bringing my Kahr P9 home from the cabin. It will be replaced in the future with a 10mm handgun. I sometimes carried the Kahr on trips into town. Flying with a firearm is much easier.

My Mossberg 500 12 gauge will stay at the cabin. That, and bear spray are my primary means of bear defense. 20230627_201214.jpg

Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Safe travels. My son lives in Salt Lake City and worked in Fairbanks in the summer. He made the drive many times, once pulling a 5th wheel camper up there. He sold it before he came back that fall and said he would never pull one up there again because he encountered many icy mountain roads on the way up.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20240429_171119.jpg
    Picked out three books for the trip. Enos to read on the flights. Adams for when I'm in Alaska. Kafka for when I can't sleep.

The first cabin building trip was in 2017. Have a fond memory of reading the complete Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy during those six weeks. Since then, I read most of the Foxfire books and other classics.

Just finished updating my travel First Aid kit and outdoors kit. New chest waders arrived today. Will start packing my bags tomorrow.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Looking forward to tagging along on your trip! It's been 25+ years since I drove to Alaska with my parents, so I'm looking forward to your journey...

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I fly from Indy to Salt Lake on 13 May. Start the road trip on 14 May. This trip will prep me for a future drive up to Alaska from Indiana.

Top Bottom