• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    So I've been thinking about building a suppressed .308 AR and I've tried doing some research about the rules and regulations on NFA items.Please explain the basic rules of possession and use of an NFA item.I read a few different places that nobody else can be in control of the weapon which raises two questions in my mind.

1) Are my friends allowed to shoot this thing while I'm there?I know they'll want to and I don't want to have to be a jerk and say no.

2) Do I have to take this gun to work with me or can it be left in a locked safe with explicit instructions to everyone in the household of "DON'T TOUCH"?

My flame suit is on but please go easy on a noob.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, you can let your friends shoot it. But you have to be there. You can't just loan it to them for the day.
    See the videos of INGO NFA day. Several people shooting other people's NFA items.

Most people lock their stuff up. Would be hard for people to always be carrying around the items, especially when they might have a dozen.

Here is a link to the last NFA day (noob day).
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo-events/315188-aar-nfa-noob-day-2013-a.html

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Are you planning a silencer integral to the AR upper/barrel, or a regular silencer (thread-on or quick-detach)? If the later, then nothing about the gun is controlled. Only the silencer is the controlled item and you can install it on any firearm. You couldn't loan the silencer out to a buddy, but you could the AR.

Now if you are doing something to the AR that would make it also an NFA weapon (eg barrel < 16"), then the gun falls under the NFA rules also.

The silencer does not make the weapon it is attached to automatically become an NFA item. Maybe that's not what you meant but when you say "taking the gun to work," but it reads like that's the impression you have of the rules.

-rvb

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Are you planning a silencer integral to the AR upper/barrel, or a regular silencer (thread-on or quick-detach)? If the later, then nothing about the gun is controlled. Only the silencer is the controlled item and you can install it on any firearm. You couldn't loan the silencer out to a buddy, but you could the AR.

Now if you are doing something to the AR that would make it also an NFA weapon (eg barrel < 16"), then the gun falls under the NFA rules also.

The silencer does not make the weapon it is attached to automatically become an NFA item. Maybe that's not what you meant but when you say "taking the gun to work," but it reads like that's the impression you have of the rules.

-rvb

Planning on doing just a threaded barrel with a thread-on suppressor.Sorry I didn't clarify that.But,as I said,my main question was if I could leave the item locked up at home.

Also,what is the best barrel length for accuracy on a .308?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Planning on doing just a threaded barrel with a thread-on suppressor.Sorry I didn't clarify that.But,as I said,my main question was if I could leave the item locked up at home.

Perfectly fine to leave at your place of residence even if others also live there. They just can't use it or take it anywhere without you.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Can I ask why not go with 5.56 or go stupid quiet with .300 Blackout? I just feel like with what you seem to want you will neither get with a SBR .308 or a silenced .308. That being said build what ya want and have fun with it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Depends on your expectations. Generally speaking a shorter barrel of the same quality will be more accurate, but there's also the consideration of how far you will be shooting it, it's hard to go to 1000 yards with a 16"bbl with any accuracy because out of that barrel the bullets will go subsonic at 600-700 yards. But if you are shooting under 600 yards then the 16"bbl will be more accurate than the 20" for the same barrel quality. Then there's the issue of transit time of the bullet with a crosswind. The further you shoot the faster you want the bullet to go to minimize the effects of the wind, so from that standpoint a 20"bbl may hold an edge. OTOH, a 20" match grade bull barrel will be more accurate than the mass produced 16" thinner barrel. So it's not a simple answer and can't be answered well without knowing your expectations.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Can I ask why not go with 5.56 or go stupid quiet with .300 Blackout? I just feel like with what you seem to want you will neither get with a SBR .308 or a silenced .308. That being said build what ya want and have fun with it.

Will a .300 Blackout upper work with my AR that I already have or will I need to get the larger mag-well lower and different magazines?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Well the thing here is that I'm expecting a decent refund come tax time and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with it.I know I'm buying another pistol,most likely the Remington 1911 R1,so that I have two options for carry.I've thought about a higher powered rifle like a .308 or .50 Beowulf,I've thought about an AK to go with my AR,and I've thought about waiting until I turn 21 in May and getting an NFA toy.I just hope this refund is as good as it should be and I hope the time passes quickly.I also plan on using it to stock up on ammo.

Top Bottom