• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We're planning a trip out west this year and I was reviewing our Indiana LTCH reciprocity in preparation. Back in the day :oldwise:, having an additional non-resident license from another state was a significant value for some of us at the time as an additional license/permit could add 7-ish or so states to our reciprocity (we had no reciprocity with Ohio for example).

It has become less of a "value" with increasing reciprocity and constitutional carry (a good thing). Nonetheless, for some folks it may still be worth it (depending on lots of factors, how often one travels, where, etc.).

As I see things, the Utah and Arizona non-resident licenses may be the best bang for the buck. Here's a brief summary for any who might be interested.

Utah's non-resident license adds 4 states to our reciprocity - DE, NE, NV, and WA. It's $63.25 to apply (plus the cost/time of training and "passport" photos). Renewal is $25 (every 5 yrs) and can be done online in about 10 min. Renewed license comes in a couple of weeks. Have to watch a less than 8 min video on gun safety and suicide prevention to renew. Initial training must be by a UT certified instructor (7 of which are in Indiana). See here - https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-fire...t-of-certified-concealed-firearm-instructors/ .

Arizona's non-res license also adds 4 states - DE, NE, NV, and NM. Cost is $60 ($43 renewal every 5 yrs). Recently sent in AZ paper application, and license was issued 12 days from mailing. Training requirements are here - https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03112.htm (scroll down to section N).

How to choose?
    • Both get DE, NE, & NV. UT gets WA. AZ gets NM.
    • UT is more expensive initially (due to additional training costs, and photos), but cheaper/easier to renew online.
    • AZ has pretty liberal training requirements such that training that you've ALREADY HAD may be applicable (ex. any firearms safety/training course by an NRA instructor, completion of a hunter's ed/safety class in AZ or comparable of another state, evidence of current .mil service or honorable discharge, etc. So, potentially no new training to take (no more time, money, etc.).
    Hope someone finds this useful. All the usual caveats apply. Laws change. I'm neither a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. YMMV.

(Did not include FL as it's the equivalent of AZ but with higher initial fees and required photo.)

Last edited:

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I had my Utah license but let it lapse with all the new reciprocity agreements. I may have to think about going after one or the other...

Top Bottom