• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it is an intruder and he comes to get you, you have an exponential advantage barricading in place. There's also the chance he flees, which is the best possible scenario.

Yes of course if you are not confrontational. There are many mindsets in these scenarios. I am one to do as the OP did. It's my place and I want a piece of anyone dumb enough to come in un-invited. If intruder was truly after you it would be hard to get out of bed, arm up and defend. Most likely a burglar who does not want to see you and would prefer fleeing. I prefer a more hands on approach.
    This is JMHO and do agree with your statement if it is how you or others would prefer to defend your home.

Now, back to the Sasquatch thing......................:D

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The alternative approach is a good way to die.

Is your primary concern self defense, or shooting people?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The alternative approach is a good way to die.

Is your primary concern self defense, or shooting people?

That is a silly question. If I wanted to just shoot people we live in a target rich environment. Not my primary concern. My primary concern is getting a hold of anyone rapping my home. I am a hands on kind of guy. If I can snatch up an intruder I will do that as apposed to shooting them and making a mess in the house. A 1911 is a great club. Far too much paper work and legal issues if you shoot the BG these days.

I see what you are getting at but if anybody enters my home un-invited it is to me a form of rape. In the close quarters of a room, any room, it would not be that hard to over power an intruder. I/we have trained for such things. I do not take kindly to BG in my home.
    That said there are other factors to be considered. I have no children at home any more. My son (30 yrs. old) is staying with us for a while but he is no child. Fact is I would be in line behind him if this were to happen so every scenario is different. We do not hide, barricade or run from these issues.

I would not "Want" to shoot anyone. I would if forced to but I will not hide from any BG.

As I said, handle this in the way you are comfortable.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    So, when a swat team responds to a barricaded subject they bring a dozen highly trained guys with machineguns and hard armor...but you feel confident going solo with a handgun in your pajamas because you can't swallow your pride and let your likely insured television walk.

Alright, good luck.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    So, when a swat team responds to a barricaded subject they bring a dozen highly trained guys with machineguns and hard armor...but you feel confident going solo with a handgun in your pajamas because you can't swallow your pride and let your likely insured television walk.

Alright, good luck.

Harsh man, whats with the hostility? Is it really necessary to try and belittle someone because their opinion is different than yours?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yes of course if you are not confrontational. There are many mindsets in these scenarios. I am one to do as the OP did. It's my place and I want a piece of anyone dumb enough to come in un-invited. If intruder was truly after you it would be hard to get out of bed, arm up and defend. Most likely a burglar who does not want to see you and would prefer fleeing. I prefer a more hands on approach.
    This is JMHO and do agree with your statement if it is how you or others would prefer to defend your home.

Now, back to the Sasquatch thing......................:D

I like this way of thinking.It has been my misfortune to come home to a burglarized,vandalized mess twice in the last few years...the police are notified AFTER I make sure there is no one to hold responsible....

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

Alright, good luck.

Im going to disagree also.

My house is exactly that My house, you break in you get the consequences.

SWAT teams enter the way they do because they dont know what setup is in the house. I know my house.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    SWAT teams enter the way they do because they dont know what setup is in the house. I know my house.

I'd also say that SWAT is tasked with the responsibility of at least appearing like they're trying to get the bad guy out alive, if he decides to barricade himself in. The legal responsibility of due process requires SWAT/LE to take extra precautions to preserve the perp's life. (Discussions on whether this is what we see in practice belong in another thread though.)

Not to mention, the comparison between a jackass who places himself on one side of a stand-off with police and the petty thug who is in the act of burgling a home is a bit of a stretch.

I would have called out in the OP's situation. But if I'm in my own home and I know everybody is accounted for, I usually don't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Alright, good luck.

You are really out there on this one. If I am in my house and run up on some one yes, I am very confident as to the outcome of a confrontation in my home.
    Luck has absolutely nothing to do with this. Pride has nothing to do with this. Training and having a finely honed dislike for vermin has everything to do with this. I have been tested and survived more confrontations then I have time to discuss. Never ran and never will. Have had things stolen in the past. Some good ground work and re-gained possession of some of it. Yes, insured. Once you hit the policy with a loss you are screwed for years on your premium. Nature of the game.
    I can see you hiding while your property is walking out the door whining on your cell phone on hold with 911.

If you knew me this would not be a point of discussion.

As to swat....once barricaded the game changes completely. They have a set of rules to follow. I catch you in my house it is game on and that is it. No waiting on command decisions just a good old west side beat down.

Oh, I do not wear pajama's.........................:D

Do not judge me as to my actions defending life and property. It is mine and I will defend it. To sit and let your stuff walk with no resistance only embolden the thugs. I think no less of you for how you would deal with this issue. As stated before, your call.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    In my opinion, you did well. Not everyone thinks of everything 100% of the time, so I would say clearing a house slowly like you did was a good way of approaching it. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom