• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Does the law that prohibits carrying a gun on school grounds extend to the "school zone" on roads? You know, where the speed limit becomes slower...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does the law that prohibits carrying a gun on school grounds extend to the "school zone" on roads? You know, where the speed limit becomes slower

Maybe.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony

Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Are you on the school bus?:D

JDon, do you mean: "can I drive by the school in my private vehicle on the road not entering the schoolgrounds with my handgun(s) and my valid LTCH?"

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-1 Exemptions from chapter 35-47-9-1 Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following: (1) A: (A) federal; (B) state; or (C) local; law enforcement officer. (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by: (A) a school; or (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function; to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school. (3) A person who: (A) may legally possess a firearm; and (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

Seems to me if you are just driving through you should be fine. IANAL though so this is not official legal advice.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The only law that addresses that is the federal "gun free school zone" law, and an exception to that exists for those who hold a CCW/LTCH/permit/whatever from the state in which the school is located (or "recognized by the state in which...", I forget the exact phrasing. Since as an IN resident, you must hold a LTCH (or be a member of some excepted group) to have your gun with you, you would automatically be excepted from it yourself, unless you'd just purchased the gun and were on your way home.

In short, I think you'd be good in this situation.

Standard disclaimers apply: IANAL, TINLA.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom