• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Does anyone have any knowledge of factory nickel plated model 63's? They are apparently not catalogued, but I did find a couple of mentions of them on the net. It was made in 1938 according to the serial number. Barrel is 23 inches. I took it apart and it seems to be all original finish from the factory. Even the inner magazine tube is nickel plated, as well as the sights, butt plate and forend cap....
    I am just trying to learn of it's scarcity and maybe value. It is in about 90 to 95% condition with great bore. Wood has not been sanded. I have never seen nor heard of one of these before.....Thanks.....John:popcorn:

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Talked to a much more knowledgeable collector than I am, about it. He said that you could just about order anything from the manufacturers in those depression days and get it for very little extra money. This rifle might have been a prize in a contest, displayed in a store window or some similar circumstance. It's rarity eliminates being able to put a comparative value on it. That would have to be determined by the collector wanting to buy it....But your 63 collection just wouldn't be complete without one, I guess....
    Anyway, he wants to see it, as he hasn't seen one before, either. He is also interested in buying it and a couple of other collectibles I am thinking of parting with.....John

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMHO, about the only way to know for sure whether it came from the factory that way or not is to pay whoever is now holding the Winchester factory records to research them and supply you with a letter detailing whatever optional features your rifle had when it left there. IIRC, these usually cost from $75 to $150, but if your rifle turns out to be all "factory original" having written proof of that will nearly always enhance its potential value to a "serious" collector by a much greater amount.

Just my $0.02, but might be worth rolling the dice this time.

Top Bottom