• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i'd go with the glock g19 for your ccw. i'd also get some range time with a silhouette and practice two to the chest one above the vest.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    First handgun? I'd say get a 9mm because the ammo is cheaper than .357SIG/.40/.45 which means that you will be able to shoot/practice more.
    As for what brand? What ever fits best in your hand and your body type to conceal.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Very true. If you are just starting out, 9mm can be had alot cheaper than most other calibers and it can be very effective in personal defense situations in comparison to some of the smaller ones.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Ruger SR9c. Thin and has good weight. Doesn't feel cheap. Holster, gun and a box of carry ammo should be no more than 550.

+1
    I think you could get it for much less than 550. I got mine for $389 already had the crossbreed holster (~$80) plus $22ish for bow of 20 rounds (not that's all the ammo you'll need though. I think the SR9c is a great buy with a much improved trigger over the early SR9's. The thing I really live about it though is that they have the least felt recoil of any compact or subcompact I've ever shot.

Also if you haven't handled one, they are very slim for a double stack. The specs are kind of misleading because they measure across the safety levers but when you handle one, you'll realize how thin the grip and slide are.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    9mm might be a good choice caliber wise for you. The price is still low enough that you can get lots of practice with it and is a good self defense round.

Stick with "name" brand guns and you won't go wrong not matter which pick you go.

Couple of things to get along with you new gun, is several extra mags (if it only comes with one make sure you purchase extra ones). Get a good, quality holster for it (either leather or Kydex) a kind of rule of thumb for me is that good holsters start retailing at $50 and up. And make sure you have a good sturdy gun belt to hang your holster/gun on when carrying. A good holster belt combo will make all the difference in the world when you are carrying.

Here is a thread that had some members holster reviews in it
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/59516-the_holster_thread.html

Can't wait to see your range report and some pics of it when you get one.

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    First, thanks for all the suggestions.

Well, after roaming the gun show *all* day, I decided to go ahead with the idea of a .40. The Ruger SR9c is a nice gun, as well as the Taurus offerings, but the Ruger didn't save me enough size/weight to justify settling for a 9mm, and, well, I'm just not a big fan of Taurus.

In the .40 class, I narrowed it down to a Glock 23 or Springfield XD-40 sub-compact. Though slightly larger, I decided I liked the XD a little better. Then, since I figured I'd typically use the extended mag most (don't care for a three-finger grip), I figured why go with what amounts to a short-barreled XD-40. So, I just bought the XD-40 full-size. At $439.99 the price was right.

I wore it home, and the weight was manageable. One thing I did realize was that I need a sturdier belt - or a better holster than the one included in the XD kit (probably both). Other than that, the weight feels manageable and I'm really happy with the gun, itself.

Now to get out and shoot the dang thing. :shoot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    First, thanks for all the suggestions.

Well, after roaming the gun show *all* day, I decided to go ahead with the idea of a .40. The Ruger SR9c is a nice gun, as well as the Taurus offerings, but the Ruger didn't save me enough size/weight to justify settling for a 9mm, and, well, I'm just not a big fan of Taurus.

In the .40 class, I narrowed it down to a Glock 23 or Springfield XD-40 sub-compact. Though slightly larger, I decided I liked the XD a little better. Then, since I figured I'd typically use the extended mag most (don't care for a three-finger grip), I figured why go with what amounts to a short-barreled XD-40. So, I just bought the XD-40 full-size. At $439.99 the price was right.

I wore it home, and the weight was manageable. One thing I did realize was that I need a sturdier belt - or a better holster than the one included in the XD kit (probably both). Other than that, the weight feels manageable and I'm really happy with the gun, itself.

Now to get out and shoot the dang thing. :shoot:

Congratulations!

Yeah, the holster that comes with the gun is good for getting the gun home, and casual range use, not much else. A GOOD belt and holster will make your life much more pleasant :)

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    Alrighty then. My brother and I took my new XD to Pop Guns yesterday. We got there late, but they let us in for fifteen minutes or so before the range was shut down to shoot a quick box of ammo.

The first of this pics shows the first 10-rounds fired with this gun (upper right-most shot was on another target - I'll give that one to my brother ;) ) . Truth be told, they were the third - twelfth rounds I have ever fired through *any* handgun, so I think it turned out ok. The first target was from 7-yards, I think, and the second was from maybe 12-14? The distances weren't clearly marked, that I could tell.

First10.jpg

Second10.jpg

XD402.jpg

It shoots really well. We only put 54-rounds through it (I wanted to fire a few SD rounds while I was at it), but there were no problems at all. We were only loading the 12-round mag with 10-rounds, but next time I'll fill 'em up.

Last edited:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    glad to hear you got a weapon you like. I have been through several weapons like other here. I think you might like to take a look at the S & W M & P. They are great guns. I personally carry the Taurus 709 Slim. It is incredibly concealable, accurate and fun. But a carry gun is all about what feels good to you. Like others I would advise not getting too concerned about caliber. Every caliber will do the job if you hit the right spot. 9's are the cheapest of all the popular handgun calibers (I think). Best of luck on your upcoming purchases (there will be many more after the xd).

Top Bottom