• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Plenty of pistol and revolver experience, going to pop the cherrie on my Sig M400 tomorrow. Virgin to the AR15 platform. Any advice for a first experience with this weapon? Have experience with small caliber rifles such as bolt action 22LR, but that is it. Words of wisdom please.:rolleyes:

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I almost bought a Sig M400 as well. I ended up with the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Tactical. I think the Sig you are looking at will be a very good choice from what I researched. You can find tons of information on how to break them down, clean them, etc. I have found the platform to be very easy to maintain, fun and easy to shoot, light and easy to handle, and I have a Bushmaster .450 upper that I swap in to hunt deer.

I think you will really enjoy it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Don't shoot your eye out.:):

Seriously though, buy plenty of good magazines. I like the Brownell's aluminum mil-spec for less than $15 each. Get a dozen or more. And a GI web sling. Then go shooting. A lot.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Don't buy a lot of add-ons for your rifle before getting a lot of practice in. Practice, then you'll find out what you want. If you have any friends with ARs, try something different to see if there are other features that peak your interest. Ask a lot of questions here on INGO but put your flame suit on first. Sometimes people get carried away.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Don't buy a lot of add-ons for your rifle before getting a lot of practice in. Practice, then you'll find out what you want. If you have any friends with ARs, try something different to see if there are other features that peak your interest. Ask a lot of questions here on INGO but put your flame suit on first. Sometimes people get carried away.

can't agree more with wsen, don't go out and buy a $300+ optic, $150 flashlights, and what not. Might want to even consider buying an AR with a detachable carry handle so you can just get familiar with iron sights, then move on from there!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Like many said above. Learn how to properly field strip it, clean it and operate it safely. Then shoot it a lot before you buy any add ons. In fact learn the iron sights first then and only then do you need to think about an optic, and you may not want one at that point. Be very careful what mags you buy. MagPul mags are cheap and work wonderfully. Avoid UTG, Tapco or other bargain stuff, they suck in the long run. Avoid well used USGI mags until you learn how to inspect them.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Like many said above. Learn how to properly field strip it, clean it and operate it safely. Then shoot it a lot before you buy any add ons. In fact learn the iron sights first then and only then do you need to think about an optic, and you may not want one at that point. Be very careful what mags you buy. MagPul mags are cheap and work wonderfully. Avoid UTG, Tapco or other bargain stuff, they suck in the long run. Avoid well used USGI mags until you learn how to inspect them.

Thanks so much for the advice, I did buy 3 extra Magpul 30 rd. mags, have 4 total now. At the advice of an "experienced AR guy", I had a Vortex Red/Green Dot installed and bore sighted on my Sig M400, perhaps my bad? I have watched several You Tube vids. on field stripping and cleaning, seems pretty straight forward from a newbie point of view. As far as operation goes, should I enlist an instructor or someone with experience on this weapon for an IOE or would a good general background in firearms and safety suffice?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have one, buy a reloading set up and all of the primers, powders & bullets that you can afford. It's cheaper and when the next "panic" happens, you will not be paying $.80 to $1 a round like last time.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Thanks so much for the advice, I did buy 3 extra Magpul 30 rd. mags, have 4 total now. At the advice of an "experienced AR guy", I had a Vortex Red/Green Dot installed and bore sighted on my Sig M400, perhaps my bad? I have watched several You Tube vids. on field stripping and cleaning, seems pretty straight forward from a newbie point of view. As far as operation goes, should I enlist an instructor or someone with experience on this weapon for an IOE or would a good general background in firearms and safety suffice?

Nothing wrong with an optic, since you have it just take it off for a while to learn using your irons, or turn it off if it only works when turned on. The AR is not complicated, but it is a professionals weapon. And by that I mean, you have to treat it the way a true professional treats his stuff, take care of it before yourself. Intruction wouldn't hurt at all, but you can do that yourself if you are detail minded.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Nothing wrong with an optic, since you have it just take it off for a while to learn using your irons, or turn it off if it only works when turned on. The AR is not complicated, but it is a professionals weapon. And by that I mean, you have to treat it the way a true professional treats his stuff, take care of it before yourself. Intruction wouldn't hurt at all, but you can do that yourself if you are detail minded.

Cerberus: All points well taken. Like the idea of starting with just the iron sights, will practice that for awhile, makes a lot of sense. Thanks a ton!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Enjoy it, but most of all respect it. That goes with any firearm though. The AR is a great platform that you can easily make your own to fit your needs/wants. Don't waste a bunch of money on fancy do-dads and lasers, ect right out of the gate. Shoot it, learn it, and keep it clean and well lubed. If you know someone who owns one could be a plus but if you see someone at the range with one don't be afraid to ask questions, just do your research and don't believe everything you hear.

Top Bottom