• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    So here's my major concern. I'm currently waiting on my permit, but once I get it, I will be exercising my right to carry at every opportunity. However, being someone who sticks his foot in his mouth on almost every occasion possible, I'm sure I will manage to find exactly the wrong thing to say should I ever be confronted by someone.

I don't plan on getting out there until I'm familiar with the law and know what I can and can't do, but what are some newbie mistakes that I can avoid?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't plan on getting out there until I'm familiar with the law and know what I can and can't do, but what are some newbie mistakes that I can avoid?

If a LEO asks you if you are armed, don't respond by drawing the gun to show him.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Some simple things to remember if confronted about your carrying:

1. Remember that your choice to carry is YOUR choice, not somebody elses. You're not doing anything wrong, as you well know, by exercising your right.

2. In the discussion that may ensue, be polite, respectful, and honest in the conversation. Generally the conversations I get into come up with somebody finding out I carry. The only goal I have moving forward in the conversation is to get the people to realize nothing changed from before they knew I carried to now. I'm still the same person, and if they liked/trusted/etc. before there is nothing new now.

3. I generally try to get them curious about going shooting with me or refocus their attention to something they're more comfortable with. That could be hunting with a parent, could be target shooting in 4H, or something similar. If possible, I try to end with an invitation to go shooting with me next time. This has worked the best of all. I've gotten more people interested in firearms by bringing them along with me than I ever could winning an argument with them.

4. Remember generally you're in the right. You don't need to justify your reasons for exercising your rights to anybody, unless you want to. If they want to be hostile or aggressive, I tell them that I'll only discuss this politely and respectfully or I'm done.

5. Finally, act responsibly around them with your firearm. Most sheeple are scared by guns because of the irresponsible things they've heard. Once they get comfortable knowing you're responsible and safe with firearms, they get more comfortable with th idea they will be as well. The tragic stories of people injuring themselves with their gun becomes an exception in their mind.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    If I am confronted by someone who genuinely seems concerned, I have business cards that say on one side:

"Indiana citizens licensed to carry firearms are among the most law-abiding in the state. Most of us will not bring a weapon where it is unwelcome. The reverse side of this card lists the requirements I have met in order to be licensed."

The other side of the card says:

"I have passed both an ISP and FBI criminal background check.
    I have never had a felony conviction.
    I have no convictions for unsafe handling of a firearm
    I am not a drug or alcohol abuser, nor prone to violent behavior.
    I have no mental defects or disabilities."

I can't take credit for coming up with it, I recall finding it somewhere and using it.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You will find that while you are carrying you handle yourself differently. Knowing than an escalated confrontation, could result in you having to kill someone does make you more polite.

However, I have also stopped to help people I wouldn't of, because of being armed. Just after hearing about someone stopping to help a stranded motorist, and being assaulted and robbed from individuals that were hiding in the ditch. Had I not been carrying, I wouldn't have helped the old lady on the side of the road change a tire. I felt safe enough to protect myself from such an encounter.

The biggest thing I found is that if you are carrying concealed, you are more aware of your weapon than anyone else. If you do a decent job of concealing it, almost everyone will not notice, even though it feels like they are at first. Most people just aren't observant at all, to a surprising degree.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    indyjoe, I find that to be true when OC as well. People really aren't as observant as you think, you are just more aware.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If I am confronted by someone who genuinely seems concerned, I have business cards that say on one side:

"Indiana citizens licensed to carry firearms are among the most law-abiding in the state. Most of us will not bring a weapon where it is unwelcome. The reverse side of this card lists the requirements I have met in order to be licensed."

The other side of the card says:

"I have passed both an ISP and FBI criminal background check.
    I have never had a felony conviction.
    I have no convictions for unsafe handling of a firearm
    I am not a drug or alcohol abuser, nor prone to violent behavior.
    I have no mental defects or disabilities."

I can't take credit for coming up with it, I recall finding it somewhere and using it.

Sounds much like the "no gun=no $" cards I first saw from Ohioans for Concealed Carry (ohioccw.org , I think. May be .com) I did a version of them for IN as well, with help from another member on here, "Sailor". I need to print a few of those out.

To the OP, probably the best advice I could offer would be to read gunfacts.info and get some talking points. Failing that, the easiest answer is, "I'm sorry you feel that way." or "My pistol is no threat to you unless you attack me."

Blessings,
    B

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Some simple things to remember if confronted about your carrying:

1. Remember that your choice to carry is YOUR choice, not somebody elses. You're not doing anything wrong, as you well know, by exercising your right.

2. In the discussion that may ensue, be polite, respectful, and honest in the conversation. Generally the conversations I get into come up with somebody finding out I carry. The only goal I have moving forward in the conversation is to get the people to realize nothing changed from before they knew I carried to now. I'm still the same person, and if they liked/trusted/etc. before there is nothing new now.

3. I generally try to get them curious about going shooting with me or refocus their attention to something they're more comfortable with. That could be hunting with a parent, could be target shooting in 4H, or something similar. If possible, I try to end with an invitation to go shooting with me next time. This has worked the best of all. I've gotten more people interested in firearms by bringing them along with me than I ever could winning an argument with them.

4. Remember generally you're in the right. You don't need to justify your reasons for exercising your rights to anybody, unless you want to. If they want to be hostile or aggressive, I tell them that I'll only discuss this politely and respectfully or I'm done.

5. Finally, act responsibly around them with your firearm. Most sheeple are scared by guns because of the irresponsible things they've heard. Once they get comfortable knowing you're responsible and safe with firearms, they get more comfortable with th idea they will be as well. The tragic stories of people injuring themselves with their gun becomes an exception in their mind.
    You said this very well.I could not think of any thing to add to your list.:yesway:

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    you'll be surprised how little of a deal carrying a firearm is. Most people thing that soccer moms worldwide will go into a frenzy when you walk in the shopping center. It's not true. I OC and CC and I've never had a confrontation to date. Some people will give you a double take from time to time. I just give them a friendly nod and keep going. Most people don't even notice. Like these guys said, should you be confronted, it's very good to know the law and have some insight that will ease the misinformed. Be polite and show people that you are the same as them, just more protected should shtf.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Keep your cool if you get into a confertation with someone not LEO and carry concieled, dont let the agressor know you are armed, and only pull if weapon is visible and a threat on his end. It is just my:twocents: but I seem to recall a confertation with one of my friends where his weapon was never pulled but he stated to him he had one to try to influence and de esculate the situation, therefore the agressor knew he had it and told the police that he brandished it. If it is LEO and you are pulled over, roll down the windows, turn off the car, keep hands on stearing wheel, when he asks for you license and reg. tell him you have a weapon on you and have a permit for it. Then ask if you may procede getting your info or ask if he/she would like you to step out of vechicle to allow the LEO to remove the weapon for you.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Keep your cool if you get into a confertation with someone not LEO and carry concieled, dont let the agressor know you are armed, and only pull if weapon is visible and a threat on his end. It is just my:twocents: but I seem to recall a confertation with one of my friends where his weapon was never pulled but he stated to him he had one to try to influence and de esculate the situation, therefore the agressor knew he had it and told the police that he brandished it.
    good point. That firearm should be a last ditch effort and only be used if there is no other resolution. I hope I will never need to use mine, but I'm glad I've got it 'just in case'. It definitely is not a thing to use to intimidate or influence people.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Keep it hidden.

Don't take it out to show someone in order to impress them.

Remember everything you own or ever hope to own can be wiped out with the squeeze of the trigger as you will be second guessed by 12 people should things go south.

Take a gun safety class.

Learn your firearm inside out. Load and unload in the dark.

As mentioned before, only use it as a last ditch effort to protect yourself or someone else. You must be able to prove your life was in jeapordy, and that the perp had the opportunity, ability, and intent to do you harm.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom while we still can.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If it is LEO and you are pulled over, roll down the windows, turn off the car, keep hands on stearing wheel, when he asks for you license and reg. tell him you have a weapon on you and have a permit for it. Then ask if you may procede getting your info or ask if he/she would like you to step out of vechicle to allow the LEO to remove the weapon for you.

I do not wish to turn this thread into the same old argument, and I respect your opinion on the topic, but I do want to point out to the OP that there is disagreement on this issue. Some will advocate that you offer your LTCH to the LEO, others suggest that you not bring it up unless the officer asks. If you search through the site you will find much discussion on this topic and each side's reasoning.

Best of luck to a new LTCH holder. There is plenty to read on here, and at least 2 sides to every issue. Getting involved in the discussions and arguments will help you form and defend your own opinions. If you are scared of having to disagree with non-gun owners, start here among friends. There are plenty of friendly arguments here. Just stay respectful.

Regards,
    Josh

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i have been confronted by LEO in greenfield and a minister in brown county. they both asked be the same question "why are you carrying that?" and i simply respond "because i can" not trying to sound like a smartass but the LEO thought i was and he thought he had me until i showed him my permit and then he told me to cover it up and i just shook my head with a smile and walked away. and the minister said "i think that people who carries guns have a chip on their shoulder" and with him i calmly responded "i dont carry a gun to scare people... i carry a gun to not only to proctect my self but also to protect someone who is is in need of help" then the minister calmly walked away

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Good for you Marc.
    With the officer I can't understand why he would even care. If you have a concealed carry permit you have passed the litmus test otherwise you wouldn't have it. I have no problem with guys like you. It's the guy who shoves it in my face and starts popp'n caps that concerns me. Thank God I haven't had to deal with that type yet.

The minister....well Peter had a sword, the Smith Wesson of the day. When the temple guards came to take Jesus into custody in the garden, Peter took a swing at one of them. He took the guy's ear off and of course Jesus healed the guard on the spot. Point here; had Peter been more efficient in the use of his weapon he would have taken the guy's head off instead. By the way Jesus at one point in scripture tells a group to sell their cloak and buy a sword.

I say you carry because it's your God given right. Stay safe.

Top Bottom