• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FriedChicken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    I want to do a small amount of gunsmithing, just as a hobby, not a career.

Never done it before. So any good books, websites, resources or projects you can think of that might help me get started?
    I have an old remington model 11 that I want to restore- it is in very sad shape.
    I know a semi-auto might be a tough project to start on but ... its what I've got : )

Any input would be great.
    What I would really like is just something to kind of skim over and read about it for now.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    there really isnt a end all say all source of information.... you might want to try asking questions about how you should go about doing something and then doing it... youtube can be your friend.... agi videos are expensive but very informative... midwayusa.com has a section on DIY stuff..... other than that minus taking classes you just got to take a risk at messing something up and try it for yourself...

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Walk into a gunshop and ask if they have any parts or project guns. Last time I did that I got 2 Mossberg Bolt-action shotguns for $50, $60 in parts and I had two working guns. Both had good bores but sad wood, and rusted finish. Had a lot of fun fixing em up. :yesway:

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Something they don't necessarily mention, but that I would highly recommend as you start... buy yourself a large box of latex gloves and a respirator. A lot of the chemicals you use are great for cleaning, lubricating, etc but also highly toxic. While it won't cause you to die directly, they can cause a lot of issues later on. I know my hands and lungs have thanked me for it :)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    buy yourself a large box of latex gloves and a respirator. A lot of the chemicals you use are great for cleaning, lubricating, etc but also highly toxic. While it won't cause you to die directly, they can cause a lot of issues later on. I know my hands and lungs have thanked me for it :)

huh?:n00b:

what chemicals are you using?

the only chemicals i can think of are the ones they use in hot caustic blueing which is not really a standard for gunsmithing.

Top Bottom