• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Just got a new walnut stock with matching handguard from Dupage for my Socom 16
    What is the consensus on how to finish the stock?
    It is stained a deep walnut color, but not oiled.
    It is not super smooth, so I thought maybe going over it with a 3M pad to smooth it up.
    Danish oil?
    Walnut oil?
    Other oil?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For smoothing it out more I like to slightly wet it and then sand the raised grain. Then repeat until you don't get raised grain anymore. For oil finish I like boiled linseed oil, but it's a slow process. Using something thinner like walnut oil helps to speed the process up a lil, but realize it's not a quick process to do a oil rubbed finish on a piece of wood.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    A second for the BLO, note that any rags or steel wool pads that has BLO in it can spontaneously combust when drying.

Tung oil by the same process gives a good military type finish as well. Neither are toxic and are actually considered 'food grade'.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I will state tobe careful of purchasing Tung Oil as a lot of them have varnish in them.
    True Tung Oil is good and won't have a yellowing effect like BLO can
    I have used a lot of BLO, but I would use PURE tung oil on a new walnut stock as Jaybird said. Most tung oil sold as tung oil finish is not pure tung oil. I purchased mine from one of the woodworking supply shops in Indy. I know Rockler's carry pure tung oil.
    Tung oil was originally used on many military firearms and does protect the wood somewhat better than BLO without yellowing. You can continue to wipe new layers on after shooting for max protection.

Top Bottom