• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I just got a shotgun recently. I know at a lot of the ranges I'm only allowed to shoot slugs. I have bought a few boxes of slugs (Dick's has a decent sale right now) but am worried about the cost of it. A box of 5 slugs is about $6 I'm finding. A little over $1 per shot. Am I buying too expensive or is that about what I'm going to find?

thanks
    Jason

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    I would recommend that you stick to hunting with slugs-they are not for target shooting other than to get the gun sighted in.The prices you have kisted are average . Suggest you go to a rifle for target shooting-you can't beat a .22 for having fun and not costing much.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I would recommend that you stick to hunting with slugs-they are not for target shooting other than to get the gun sighted in.The prices you have kisted are average . Suggest you go to a rifle for target shooting-you can't beat a .22 for having fun and not costing much.

Yeah, a shotgun is not a good range gun unless just sighting in or shooting trap and skeet or just going to a bowling pin competition.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    range

The reason for taking it to the range is I don't know where else I can shoot it. It's not a hunting gun it's a home defense gun. And I want to shoot it and have my wife shoot it so that we are both comfortable with it. That and I just like to shoot. Just not sure where I can do to do that. Most ranges I have been to only allow slugs.

Jason

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    live

I live in Greenwood. But just near enough to town that if I was out shooting, the police would be called rather quickly.

Jason

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not that I am doubting what you say about slug only ranges, it just seems like a really strange rule to not allow birdshot or buckshot..I'm sure you will find someplace to shoot buckshot horizontally.

If you were near Ft Wayne, I could rattle off about 6 places without trouble. I don't think there are any slug only ranges here in the nordeast.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Well I would reccomend finding someplace to get use to shooting the gun and then put it in the house for home defense. If you really like just shooting I would go ahead and look into buying a .22lr rifle and or a pistol I personally like shooting a .22 rifle I have a ruger 10/22 and that is the main gun I shoot I live in the country and can shoot about anything I want and still mainly shoot .22cal because of price of ammo 550 rnds for under 20 bucks and really good target practice.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I don't know if you have a Cabelas near you but i picked up four boxes of Federal 12ga 2 3/4" for $2.99 each. also the Meijer near me usually has Winchester slugs for $3.99 a box. I've never payed more than $5 for a box of slugs :dunno:

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    cabelas

The nearest cabelas is hammond I think. Since the one in Greenwood was stopped. I'll check meijer. I have been to 2 ranges so far. One near new castle, and camp atterbury.
    the one in new castle didn't allow shotguns at all on the range and camp atterbury only allows slugs on their range. It's not so much hitting targets as it is my wife and I getting comfortable shooting as much as possible. So neither one of us would be scared when and if we do ever have to shoot. As for buying another gun, that is out of the question for now. We got this one for home defense and it is the one we want to feel good shooting. I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to find any place that will allow me to shoot it.

Jason

choppers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Have you tried Don's guns on lafayette rd. I was suprised to find they let my buddy sight in his 50cal muzzleloader. Most indoor ranges he contacted would not.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    You can pick up a box of 100 shells for about $20.00. It makes for a cheap day of shooting. Slugs will run will over that.

Top Bottom