• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I bought a new Liberty Safe about a year ago for a family member. (joint family gift) They have it in the lower level of the house and it is a bit more humid down there than if it was on an upper level. It is a fully finished basement...
    The problem is ... everything in the safe, (guns in particular) are getting a surface coat of rust on the metal parts of the guns stored in there...

The safe has one of those electric foot long dehumidifier sticks and I got them last Christmas one of those Wet/Dry additional dehumidifier things (Soaks up the moisture in the air, and then you plug it in to the wall to dry it out to put back in the safe...

Any suggestions ??? The safe is Not opened a lot so it is not like there is a lot of air exchange, and in talking to one of the safe guys at the NRA in St. Louis, he said that a lot of this moisture could be coming from the Fireproofing lining. (It is a higher rated fire safe, 90-120 minutes I think.)
    Is there any truth to that...?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sounds to me like their basement might be the culprit rather than the devices/safe...

They should probably invest in a dehumidifier for the basement. Especially if those devices aren't working.

-J-

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    they make a 'golden rod' to use in gun safes as well. Works just like a light bulb. Just enough heat to keep the humidity out of the safe.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What is the humidity level of their basement?

This can vary a lot depending on many factors (such as if there's a bathroom in the basement).

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Go to garage sales and look for a dehumidifier. Apparently they depreciate like no other. Bought 2 this summer for $10 and $20 and both sold new for close to $200. They look brand new and work amazingly. Keeps the whole house around 40%

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Forgot to mention that.... There IS a dehumidifier, but it is in the furnace room on the other side of the basement...

......so....2nd dehumidifier closer to the same. :dunno:

I can't imagine the fire liner is generating moisture, so the problem is the atmosphere at some level.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I use Damp Rid inside my safe. It's a bag with some type of desicant material in the top and a clear baggy on the bottom for collecting the moisture that is removed by the desicant. I was shocked on how much moisture exists in my safe. I get a couple of pints/month from mine. Never had a rust issue before but it didn't seem like a bad idea. Now I'm glad I did it. Cheap and readily available, no plumbing or power requirements either.

Moisture Control, Odor Control & Healthier Indoor Air | DampRid

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The safe is Not opened a lot so it is not like there is a lot of air exchange, and in talking to one of the safe guys at the NRA in St. Louis, he said that a lot of this moisture could be coming from the Fireproofing lining. (It is a higher rated fire safe, 90-120 minutes I think.)
    Is there any truth to that...?

I can't imagine the fire liner is generating moisture, so the problem is the atmosphere at some level.

While it sounds like ambient humidity is the primary culprit, I have heard this about fireproof lining too. When I bought my first safe, I was told by the owner of Misty Morn to leave a lower wattage bulb on for 24 hours every few months to "dry" it out.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Just wondering how fireproofing material can "generate" moisture...

Fireproofing material is usually just gypsum board (drywall) treated with a fire retarder. The gypsum board will absorb moisture from it's surroundings and in cases of extream humidity, can wick it through from one side to the other.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    If they/you don't know the humidity level in the basement, you're just guessing.
    This is your ticket.

I would place a humidity gauge inside the safe as well as near it in the basement. Then keep track of the readings as you're trying the various things recommended here. Remember: if you can't accurately measure the humidity, then you really don't know how you're affecting it. Also, the gauge in the safe will help to either disprove or give credence to the theory that the fireproofing material is retaining moisture and allowing it to leech into the safe environs - a real possibility, in my opinion.

Personally, I think one of the most important things you should be doing (if you're not already) is treating all metal surfaces of your guns with a good firearms protectant. I use EEZOX or Birchwood-Casey Sheath, but I'm sure there are a half-dozen others that are all excellent.

I tend to vote for the idea of the always-on light bulb over the heater stick things. This way, you'll be able to easily adjust wattages based on the feedback from the humidity gauge. And in case you do have excessive humidity in the basement, I would double check how well the door closure of the safe seals out the damp basement air.

Let us know how you fare!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Wow, you already have a Goldenrod AND a dehumidifier? I keep my Browning safe in my finished garage w/o problem. It is an insulated safe with a Goldenrod in the bottom corner. Is your rod mounted as low as possible? Safes are not airtight, even fire rated ones. The rod heats up and the hot air rises. The moving air is what keeps condensation from settling on the firearms. If you have the rod mounted somewhere too high, the air will not circulate properly.

Top Bottom