• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The cable guy, no it wasn't Larry, was here the other day doing some repairs. He commented that my router was outdated. We just use the router for a wireless printer, another PC, Kindle Fire and we soon will be getting a new TV with wifi capability. Right now I'm running a Linksys Wireless-G, 2.4 GHz and 54 Mbps. Any ideas?

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Why upgrade? How fast is your cable internet? If it's less that 50Mbps and you're not getting any interference with your phones, then I don't see a benefit to upgrade.

*Sure your printing may be a bit faster and if you transfer files between computers, that'll help too, But most people don't do a whole lot of that.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Why upgrade? How fast is your cable internet? If it's less that 50Mbps and you're not getting any interference with your phones, then I don't see a benefit to upgrade.

*Sure your printing may be a bit faster and if you transfer files between computers, that'll help too, But most people don't do a whole lot of that.

agree with $mooth. now if you want to breathe new life into that router, check out the DDWRT router database to see if your router supports the open source firmware Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm in the same boat except it's not that my router is out of date, it's that my friend gave it to my wife when ours failed while I was overseas. I have the occasional connectivity/IP issue with it and was wanting a bit more "capability" by getting something I can put DDWRT on like I had on the old one. But I really only have a few wireless devices (2 computers, wifi tv, 2 wifi blu-rays, tablet, and wifi printer) that aren't all active at the same time and they aren't super demanding on the network. Although I've also considered going to a wired LAN setup to just eliminate the whole problem altogether with the exception of the laptops/tablet.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Routers for home use are not expensive... The routers I deal with are on the scale of $40,000~$80,000 + add-in cards.

At the end of the day a decent N-Router that can also do B and G is .... $50~75 at Wal-Mart last I looked. Upgrade it if you want - don't if you're not having issues I suppose.

It really should last you a few years, so it's not that expensive either way.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ask yourself this question. "Do I know why I need a new router?" If the answer something specific like "I want xxx feature." or "The current one isn't working right." then go spend some $$ on a new one. Other than that, let it be and save your $$. You likely won't see any speed difference.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    About the only thing that happens is the Kindle Fire gets dropped and I have to reset the router by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I also thought it might be helpful with the new TV we're getting with wifi capability.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I crashed my router when we added our security camera set up. I ended up replacing my old linksys with the newest version at the time.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Look for one that can do 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz simultaneously (simultaneous dual band). Netgear wndr3700 is one such router but is slightly older and can usually be had inexpensively. All of those will be capable of all the current WiFi standards.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    New technology works with new technology. Sometimes new technology doesn't work so well with old technology. G wireless is obsolete, go with N and you will have fewer problems with new devices connecting to it. Plus you will more than likely get better range as a side benefit.

Oh, and use WPA2 for password protecting your wireless network.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    Hmm. I clicked on this thread because I thought it was about woodworking. ??

Oops I see jd42k thought the same.. Sorry'

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    New technology works with new technology. Sometimes new technology doesn't work so well with old technology. G wireless is obsolete, go with N and you will have fewer problems with new devices connecting to it. Plus you will more than likely get better range as a side benefit.

Oh, and use WPA2 for password protecting your wireless network.
    That sounds good. I just want a router that will work with the existing wireless printer, Kindle Fire and my wife's older computer.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    There are a couple of new wireless protocols coming down the pike. If your current router isn't failing, I'd wait to replace it. At worst, even if you don't need the speed of the new models, the price of decent "N" routers should start dropping.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm still running a G router. There is nothing wrong with G, it has better penetration through walls, longer range, and near universal support. The only advantage you may see with N (unless you have over 24mbps internet or you are sharing files wirelessly at home) is less interference from your neighbors wifi.

But if you are running over 24mbps internet you are stretching the TRUE speed capability of G over normal home distances and barriers. I have 12mbps internet G serves me well, but if I am outside or in the garage, the router can only feed 9.5 mbps because of walls and my other neighbors. Everywhere else I get my full 12mbps.

Top Bottom