• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    The title basically says it all. i have a few things that will help, but i really dont have a plan in terms of what, how much, etc. Been stocking up on wwater and a bunch of the little propane tanks. You guys are more experienced than I, so any ideas, tips, tricks, starting points would be appreciated.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    One of the first things to do is assess your situation now. Ask yourself what do I have here and now, how does it help me if...pick aSHTF scenario. Example...if we lose power what do we have for light, heat
    water supply, communication. What kind of water heater do you have,does it have a tank?
    How much water is in it, 20, 30, 40 gallons? What do we need to get it out?
    How big is our pantry? If we have to live out of it how long would it last? I think you get the idea.
    You've made the first big leap...you've recognized the need and started asking questions.
    Stick with it and don't get discouraged by the answers, it will take time, effort and cash to prep.
    Probably not as much cash if you use your head.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    now that is the kind of help/info i was looking for. i wasnt lookingfor anybody to hold my hand. i think the bigger issue when starting to prep, is exactly what u said to me, "what am i prepping for?". that really helps me get an idea of the impoertant things. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    also, prepare for your entire family to have the runs, when you have no running water, no power and you have to do the laundry by hand........................................

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    One of the first things to do is assess your situation now. Ask yourself what do I have here and now, how does it help me if...pick aSHTF scenario. Example...if we lose power what do we have for light, heat water supply, communication. What kind of water heater do you have,does it have a tank? How much water is in it, 20, 30, 40 gallons? What do we need to get it out? How big is our pantry? If we have to live out of it how long would it last? I think you get the idea.You've made the first big leap...you've recognized the need and started asking questions.Stick with it and don't get discouraged by the answers, it will take time, effort and cash to prep.Probably not as much cash if you use your head.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^^After you decide what SHTF scenario you're prepping for, e.g., power outage, natural disaster, TEOTWAWKI, and complete an assessment of your current situation, figure out what resources you'll need to add to what you currently have to ensure survival for you and your family. Begin with what will it take to survive for a week, then two weeks, then a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, and finally what will it take to ensure your on-going survival for an indefinite period of time. Take it one step at a time, and celebrate achieving each milestone of your journey to preparedness.You've made the decision to prepare. Congratulations! Now, as suggested above, you need to do your research, learn as much as you can from others who have walk the path you're now on. INGO is a great resource to begin your search for informtion and to connect with other like minded people.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    YouTube search "the patriot nurse" and watch this guys videos he was a special forces medic, might take a few days to watch all if them but they help point you in the right direction.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnENYaKJUV4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I advocate making education a priority. All your preps might be in your burning house, but your skills will be with you.

To paraphrase that barefooted hippie from duel survival, knowledge is your most
    Precious asset and it's extremely. Light weight...

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    Your primary consern is water in my opinion. I live next to a river, so I have a couple ceramic water filters from douhlton. Figure out your water situation. I would plan on bugging out somewhere else If I didn't live next to a river or lake. After water, get your ready to eat canned food and ammo and medical supplies...a little of each at a time. Before you know it, you have peace of mind. Books on gardening, trapping and dressing animals and medicine! Oh and bleach, get a couple gallons for sanitation!! Very important!

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    Do your best to put yourself in the mindset of total breakdown of modern civilization....Think about water, food, location, infections, fights, and sanitation....GO!

DAV1S84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Greencastle, IN
    Water & Filtration, Dehydrated meals (enough to last at least a month for the size of your family) Firearms & Ammo. But most importantly Training is key because if you don't train for whatever you think may happen most often than not if what you fear happends you may not respond correctly...and all your efforts to prepare were in vain

Top Bottom