• ...and so much more!
  • dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Foxnews.com
    Man came home, found that his home had been broken into.
    He then witnessed a man coming out of his neighbors window.
    The homeowner fired a shot into the ground and held the suspect until police arrived. The homeowner was then arrested for being reckless.:noway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know this was in NH, but Indiana law makes no provision for a "warning shot". You either shoot to stop the threat or you don't shoot. Explain to me why he SHOULDN'T be charged for acting foolishly?

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I know this was in NH, but Indiana law makes no provision for a "warning shot". You either shoot to stop the threat or you don't shoot. Explain to me why he SHOULDN'T be charged for acting foolishly?

I don't know what NH law is regarding discharge of firearms.
    The story also stated that the prosecutor would review the incident to see if charges against the homeowner would be filed.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Actually, state law seems to encourage you to fire at the suspect, rather than fire a warning shot. I can see this law being amended. He didn't kill the guy....he handled it better than the state law dictates. (Ours as well).

I don't consider firing into the ground acting foolishly. Shooting into the air is far more so (bullet has to land somewhere).

There are a lot of dumb laws on the books in all states. Sometimes it takes a situation like this to point some of them out.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    At least the guy put the warning shot into the ground. He could have shot the neighbors house or shot into the sky. At least he used some good judgement.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I would never convict the guy if I were on a jury. I'll tell you why.

The law is being interpreted as black and white.
    Same as the zero tolerance, no thinking nonsense that goes on in schools.

The circumstances that we know of in this case I believe would override the "reckless use of a firearm" statute.
    If he were randomly shooting into the ground without just cause
    then yes, I would follow the statue and vote to convict on that basis.
    BUT as in the Liberty Sanders case, the man had justifiable reason to use force.

The perp was already breaking the law that we all know is correct.
    Stealing is wrong, there is not a gray area there.
    With the guy shooting, shooting is right or wrong depending on the circumstances surrounding the act.

For a prosecutor to go after a citizen that was defending his property
    and potential life against the perp (again, he said he thought the guy might come for him)
    would be a terrible miscarriage of justice.

Being a robbing scumbag as an occupation carries with it certain risks.

The homeowner did not ask for this to happen, he probably would
    have been happy to live his life with something like this never happening to him or his family or friends, like any of us would.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Actually, state law seems to encourage you to fire at the suspect, rather than fire a warning shot. I can see this law being amended. He didn't kill the guy....he handled it better than the state law dictates. (Ours as well).

I don't consider firing into the ground acting foolishly. Shooting into the air is far more so (bullet has to land somewhere).

There are a lot of dumb laws on the books in all states. Sometimes it takes a situation like this to point some of them out.
    This.
    Who here has NOT fired into the ground at some point?
    It is generally accepted as safe.
    AND no, I don't know if the guy checked the area for rocks, water, or solid objects before he fired into the ground, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    After thinking about this for a minute this shows that armed citizens don't want to shoot people, but still want to do the right thing. It also shows that the system just want to make you a criminal instead of doing the right thing.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm just curious as to why Mr. Homeowner felt the need to fire a shot into the ground. If someone points a shotgun at me, I'm going to assume it's loaded and do what I'm told. Good lesson to be learned here.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I know the law is the law but what ever happened to exercising a little common sense. The guy stopped a burglary and no one was hurt. He fired into the ground not the air. I don't see much difference in firing into the ground verses firing into a dirt backstop.

The law shouldn't be so black and white when people have the ability to reason and use a little common sense.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    UPDATE: charges dropped.

Charges against man who fired warning shot at man suspected of robbing his home dropped

But holy crap, no wonder he was arrested. He was using a 150 caliber (1.5") gun! Story says he was using a 38 mm handgun!
    facepalm.gif

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Glad to see charges dropped. Sorry to see the gentleman apologize, but I bet that was part of the agreement to drop the charges. PA didn't want to look bad, but can't have people out there thinking it's ok to defend themselves, you know.

Top Bottom