• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    The federal government Tuesday unveiled nine graphic images that will be required on all cigarette packs and advertising as part of a powerful new warning strategy.

The images include a picture of a man smoking through a tracheotomy hole in his throat, a horribly diseased lung, mottled teeth and gums, a man breathing with an oxygen mask and a man’s body with a large scar running down the chest. They will be accompanied by messages such as, “Warning: Cigarettes are addictive,” “Warning: Cigarettes cause cancer” and “Warning: Smoking can kill you.”

“President Obama is committed to protecting our nation’s children and the American people from the dangers of tobacco use,” Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement. “These labels are frank, honest and powerful depictions of the health risks of smoking, and they will help encourage smokers to quit, and prevent children from smoking.”

Read more: New graphic cigarette warnings unveiled - The Washington Post

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    This won't have any effect whatsoever on smokers. :noway:
    I smoked for forty seven years and all of the dire warnings didn't impress me in the least.
    If someone wants to quit, they'll quit.
    If they don't want to quit, they won't.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    This won't have any effect whatsoever on smokers. :noway:
    I smoked for forty seven years and all of the dire warnings didn't impress me in the least.
    If someone wants to quit, they'll quit.
    If they don't want to quit, they won't.

If .gov really wants to curb smoking, all they have to do is tax the **** out of cigarettes. It will never happen though, so we will continue to see more nanny-state regulatory actions "to protect the children."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If .gov really wants to curb smoking, all they have to do is tax the **** out of cigarettes. It will never happen though, so we will continue to see more nanny-state regulatory actions "to protect the children."
    They already do. I think well over 50% of the cost is in taxes now. Works well, doesn't it?

If we REALLY wanted to ban smoking, we would simply close the cigarette companies, ban their import, and make possession a felony. Still not 100%, but that's as close as you would get.

Of course, we don't want to BAN smoking at all! We really want to regulate it and make KILLING on tax revenue. The ONLY reason we want to slightly curb the addiction rate is because it DRAINS our healthcare profits.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    this just cracks me up.

when are we gonna see a mandatory disclaimer put on all govt employees, vehicles, congress, etc?? something like "this person might claim to help you but statistics show that they will butt rape you and pillage everything you have promissing you freedom but instead taking it away"

Id like to see that put on the presidential seal!

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    this just cracks me up.

when are we gonna see a mandatory disclaimer put on all govt employees, vehicles, congress, etc?? something like "this person might claim to help you but statistics show that they will butt rape you without the use of a suitable lubricant and pillage and tax everything you have promissing you freedom but instead taking it away"

Id like to see that put on the presidential seal!

FTFY. :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The other day I walked out to get my mail. I smelled the cigarette smoke from a vehicle that was passing by. I wonder if I would be okay opening fire on him. Obviously he was trying to kill me by smoking in his car. I am even more offended by fat people in spandex or any clingy, stretchy material. We need to outlaw that.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The other day I walked out to get my mail. I smelled the cigarette smoke from a vehicle that was passing by. I wonder if I would be okay opening fire on him. Obviously he was trying to kill me by smoking in his car. I am even more offended by fat people in spandex or any clingy, stretchy material. We need to outlaw that.
    :laugh::laugh:

exactly. this is getting out of hand. i had this argument with a family member who thinks smoking bans are ok. I finally got them to see that it is unconstitutional, and their answer? "I dont smoke so what do I care?" :ugh:

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    I've got a great idea. If cigarettes are so dangerous why not ban them? Make tobacco a Schedule I drug. There are no known medicinal uses after all. It's worked so well for other drugs, and just think of the profits for police, prison and drug testing industries!

(edit) okay schedule II there are some uses after all

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Cigarretes are bad for you, we will regulate them.
    Guns are bad for you, we will regulate them.

Eventually we will turn the tide of public opinion against both, and they will be gone forever.

And we will all be safer.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If people quit smoking, drinking, and gambling your state and local taxes are going to go through the roof.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Mercy on us all.

:rolleyes: I cannot understand why one of the only USA industries is constantly
    being attacked by government. [democrats]
    excuse me. my coughs sound like political parties these days.

This is the 21st century, I was taught in health class that smoking is
    bad. I graduated, leave me alone.

Let children be children, and adults be adult.

I pay taxes, that should earn me the liberty to make as many bad
    choices as I see fit, without the any government mandated propaganda.

Top Bottom