• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    When my dad passed awy last May, he left each of his kids a little something. Not a ton, but a nice little "remembrance". I was able to get 2 things with that money. I got a Tikka 30.06 and a new Colt Python 4". Does anyone else have one, or have any experience with them? I`ve yet to shoot mine, and hope to remedy that very, very shortly. But I`ve read that the rear sight is suspect, and should be replaced. Wilson Combat makes a replacement rear sight for this revolver, but I wonder if I should just go ahead and get the Wilson Combat replacement, or shoot the danged thing and see how it holds up before I go making changes. I would have liked to keep it "original" if possible. What do you think?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Shoot it and enjoy.
    IF it breaks then use the warranty.
    I spend a lot of time fixing things that are wrong on the internet and not the gun. I actually try to talk the owners down and try to reassure them it is ok but some have none of it and insist that I fix something because " I read on the internet that they have this problem":wallbash:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If you want to change sights eventually, look at Kensights.
    This Kensight Elliason-Style Rear Sight is Fully Adjustable for both windage and elevation, and is a faithful modern-day recreation of the original Elliason Sight used on the legendary Colt 1911 Gold Cup pistols. The rear sight body is Wire-EDM machined from 4140 Chrome Moly Steel that is then heat treated to a hardness of RC 38-40, and features precise click-adjustments that allow for reliable, consistent point of impact changes. Sight comes complete with a replacement hinge pin and springs. This Elliason Rear Sight is equipped with a Square Target Blade that is Fully Serrated to reduce glare, and provides a crisp, uncluttered sight picture that helps a shooter to maintain focus on the front sight post. This sight is compatible with pistols and revolvers supplied with factory original Elliason or Accro rear sights, such as the older Colt 1911 Gold Cup Series 70 & Series 80 guns, Pre-Series 70 Colt National Match, Colt Ace, Colt Python, Anaconda, King Cobra, Trooper, Diamondback, Officer's Model Match and Woodsman Target models. It will NOT fit Colt Delta models or newer recreations of the Colt Gold Cup 1911.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you want to change sights eventually, look at Kensights.
    This Kensight Elliason-Style Rear Sight is Fully Adjustable for both windage and elevation, and is a faithful modern-day recreation of the original Elliason Sight used on the legendary Colt 1911 Gold Cup pistols. The rear sight body is Wire-EDM machined from 4140 Chrome Moly Steel that is then heat treated to a hardness of RC 38-40, and features precise click-adjustments that allow for reliable, consistent point of impact changes. Sight comes complete with a replacement hinge pin and springs. This Elliason Rear Sight is equipped with a Square Target Blade that is Fully Serrated to reduce glare, and provides a crisp, uncluttered sight picture that helps a shooter to maintain focus on the front sight post. This sight is compatible with pistols and revolvers supplied with factory original Elliason or Accro rear sights, such as the older Colt 1911 Gold Cup Series 70 & Series 80 guns, Pre-Series 70 Colt National Match, Colt Ace, Colt Python, Anaconda, King Cobra, Trooper, Diamondback, Officer's Model Match and Woodsman Target models. It will NOT fit Colt Delta models or newer recreations of the Colt Gold Cup 1911.

The Kensights don’t work on new production Pythons, the only real option is the WC.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Another vote for the shoot it untill it breaks category. Both the OEM and Wilson units just appear to be plain black rear sights no major changes.
    The Wilson has a flat face, is not a blade set in a saddle. That is a major change for me, and why my old Python wears a Kensight of similar.

I dont mind a Smith factory rear.

My dad changed his Smith factory rear for Millet due to more pronounced clicks and a flat face ( shot a 686 in IHMSA ).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When my dad passed awy last May, he left each of his kids a little something. Not a ton, but a nice little "remembrance". I was able to get 2 things with that money. I got a Tikka 30.06 and a new Colt Python 4". Does anyone else have one, or have any experience with them? I`ve yet to shoot mine, and hope to remedy that very, very shortly. But I`ve read that the rear sight is suspect, and should be replaced. Wilson Combat makes a replacement rear sight for this revolver, but I wonder if I should just go ahead and get the Wilson Combat replacement, or shoot the danged thing and see how it holds up before I go making changes. I would have liked to keep it "original" if possible. What do you think?
    I've had a set of Wilson sights for my 3 inch for awhile and finally got around to putting them on. I got the u-notch rear and gold bead front, very easy and quick to install. The rear sight fits very nicely in the frame with no lateral movement like the factory sight and the click adjustments are much more positive vs. the factory. I did some research on why Colt didn't use the original Eliason rear sight and the reason was to beef up the top strap, if that's the real reason i'm good with that.

rp8N1fxl.jpg

yhNkW6hl.jpg

8jNojgJl.jpg

Top Bottom