• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I got rid of Netflix a year ago. Amazon prime is really coming on with movies and tv streaming for free. Since I have had prime they have added the streaming and a couple of other features that make it an even better deal. Two day shipping included is well worth the price of admission.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    We're in the process of reworking our cable setup. About 6 months ago the wife called and downgraded the internet to a too-slow speed :n00b:. She only dropped the cable TV down one tier because she didn't want to lose the Comcast On Demand service. We were paying $180/mo. Now it's $120/mo for midline cable and stupid slow internet (can't stream HD video content). We were also "leasing" a modem from Comcast, which I didn't realize since I never see the bills. So for the $6-7/mo lease charge on the modem I could've bought 4 modems over the course of that time. I bought a modem and sent back the leased one. I called and dropped TV to like $10/mo basic basic cable - all local/broadcast plus maybe 5 channels and upgraded internet to a suitable speed. So now we're paying $60/mo for reasonably fast internet and all the TV anyone needs. We checked out the free trial on Netflix and it had all the shows she would normally watch on Comcast ondemand plus a lot more and movies.

I never looked into the others, but Netflix is a pretty decent service. I don't watch TV. I'll occasionally watch some shows on free hulu or elsewhere, but I don't follow any TV series, I don't watch sports, and I'm never home long enough to sit down for a movie. I'm usually home long enough to shower, sleep and get ready for work and sometimes not even that long. When I have time off, I can't think of any reason to waste it watching TV. Regardless, Netflix has everything I'd want to watch and more, and the wife's happy with it. If I did watch TV, I might be able to provide more input but the few shows I might watch - Family Guy, Top Gear, Modern Marvels and the like, are all available on Netflix. Plus, more seasons/episodes are available on Netflix than Comcast had ondemand.

One point worth noting, if you don't have some sort of console connected to your TV/smart TV Netflix/Hulu/any other streaming service is not as convenient as a cable/sat provider's services. I have an xbox connected to the TV for Netflix and it's only slightly less convenient than the cable provider's service since it's not all on one remote.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Netflix and projectfree.tv
    Any show I could possibly want is on Projectfree. Shows are posted only hours after they are aired.
    Virusfree streams. Fast load times and 1000's of episodes.
    If only my internet weren't capped, I would drop cable.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Surprised I didn't see anyone mention Netflix's original series, hooked on House of Cards and picking up Arrested Development was a brilliant move on their part. All in all there aren't any shows I have to keep up with on a weekly basis so I don't find a need to have Hulu, though I did really like Hulu back when it was mostly free.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have only done trial periods with hulu+ (two trial periods 20 months apart).

Netflix
    Pros: Price, number of things available, no commercials
    Cons: Often only have 1st season available on TV series and take a while to get the latest season

Hulu+
    Pros: Of the things they get they get them sooner, selection is much more geared toward the "pop culture"
    Cons: Price, commercials, selection, very little content for the history/nerdy/military type people that like Discovery, Food, History, Military etc

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Surprised I didn't see anyone mention Netflix's original series, hooked on House of Cards and picking up Arrested Development was a brilliant move on their part. All in all there aren't any shows I have to keep up with on a weekly basis so I don't find a need to have Hulu, though I did really like Hulu back when it was mostly free.

Yeah those were both quite enjoyable for me. HoC was just really well done and interesting. AD was different from the previous seasons, I might say it wasn't as good as the original seasons, but I still enjoyed it—it was just different.

I also like their original series Hemlock Grove.

Orange is the new Black (Netflix original series) is hilarious....

I saw the ads for it but thought it looked like it was gonna be stupid. I see a few good reports here, though, so I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

I was just talking with AT&T and they said their data cap is 250 gigs per month total. Has anyone had any issues hitting the cap?

I have Cox Cable down here, and I have been getting emails every month for a few months now telling me we went over our 250 GB monthly cap, but they don't throttle us or fine us afterwards—they just recommend we look into getting a higher cap. :dunno: Between watching Netflix and both myself and my roommate downloading shows, it isn't any wonder we go over. Like I said, we don't have cable, so if we watch anything, it is either streamed or downloaded.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Wifey bought a roku bout a year ago. She already had amazon prime, and added netflix and hulu. Paid for with the money she.saved by dropping back to dish's basic programming. And she put the difference in her pocket.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Netflix has a pretty broad spectrum of available stuff. After 6 years of streaming and DVD's it's getting hard to find anything to watch. I'm down to watching British crime dramas and foreign sub tittles lately. Hulu does not look so good.

Top Bottom