Need suggestions on my first real carry piece.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gman75

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Boone County
    Take a look at the ruger sr1911 cmd. Bought mine used and had zero problems with it. I think Bradis sells them for right around $700 after taxes. Since you"re not totally against revolvers look at smith & wesson 442. They are very easy to conceal. Good Luck!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It may shock some :ingo: members to learn that there are quality carry guns that aren't Glock, M&P, XD or 1911. Nothing against those but there ARE others.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    It may shock some :ingo: members to learn that there are quality carry guns that aren't Glock, M&P, XD or 1911. Nothing against those but there ARE others.

Couldnt agree more, for someone who is just starting to carry, a revolver is a great place to start. If its your first handgun, a revolver is an even better place to start. They're simple to operate, easy to clean, dont require much maintenance, shoot any ammo you can find and never jam.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Mosinguy, any 1911, will do..... if you have $700.00 to spend, then figure, holster, extra mag., or two, and ammo.... that should answer your question .....

NO, you don't NEED a $2000.00 any gun..... but they are "nice" to have .....

If the gun, is to be carried EVERYDAY, then buy a "cheaper" model to start with... The reason, is you will need to get "used" to carrying it... I always bumped into "things", when I first started carrying... I can show you the "nicks" and "dings" in the wooden handles of my S&W Model 19 .... I then switched to "rubber" grips .....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    " if you ever use it for defense, the police will likely take it for awhile."

I own & have carried a lot of different guns over the years and the one that is on my hip right now, has been for several years & will continue to be is a G19. I have found it to be the best combination of reliability, capacity, caliber, concealability, cost, etc. The only thing I would change (for me) from stock are; night sights, 3.5 connector, grip plug & maybe a smooth trigger.
    One thing that I used in the decision process was, if you ever use it for defense, the police will likely take it for awhile. I figured that I could more easily afford to go buy another, if needed, to replace it and even if I am unable to put hundreds of rounds thru it initially, Glocks are generally very reliable. Just my $.02. Good luck. Btw, check PSS & Bradis. You can usually find a G19/26 at one or both for a decent price.

Winner-winner-Pork Chop Dinner!!

I agree with your total post+I ALSO have the same weapon on my belt now..The OP needs to fill HIS needs+desires. The OP also needs to be aware of having a firearm remove from him during an "Investigation"....Bill.

Last edited:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I can only assume it is because of **** poor marketing but after owning and carrying a Sub Compact Beretta PX4 I am shocked it hasn't even been mentioned. I picked up the 15 rnd Compact mags with the spacers and with its contours and exquisite design and function thrown in I am really baffled.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Try detail stripping a Glock and let me know how that works out.

Uhm... Glock field strip with a punch. The entire gun is held together with pins that can be removed with a punch. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

... I like my stuff simple...

That and your requirements in your original post answers your question. Glock 19 (or other Glock compact depending on your choice of caliber).

The Glock is about as simple, straightforward of a gun that you will find. Simple to maintain, simple to field strip, detail strip, easy to find parts either OEM or aftermarket (but be careful with aftermarket, as you can take a gun that works and turn it into one that doesn't). Magazines are readily available, and cheap. Holsters of all sorts are available.

/endthread

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I look at it this way. A gun is something great, that you fondle and admire. You anticipate the work day away, waiting till the weekend, when you can take it out, and stretch its legs.

A carry gun is a tool, its a device. You wear it on your hip, and you train for the event that you call on it to save your life. A carry gun is not glamorous, and its not pretty. It will get scuffed, and bumped, and maybe even scratched.

This is where guns like glocks come into play. They are not made to be beautiful, they are rugged, well made tools.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I really think a G-19 is the best all around CCW. Get a Don Hume IWB holster and a Gen-2. They are cheap, reliable, hi cap and so smooth. I have several pistols and the Glock is not my favorite. But if I grab a pistol to carry on me, the glock is the most comfortable. Good luck.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    So I'm almost set on a Glock 19, but someone try and get me convinced to carry a 1911. Are reliability issues really a big deal? And how often to fitted factory parts fail? I'm still in the planning stage since I have no gun money right now.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    So I'm almost set on a Glock 19, but someone try and get me convinced to carry a 1911. Are reliability issues really a big deal? And how often to fitted factory parts fail? I'm still in the planning stage since I have no gun money right now.

I carry a G19 on a regular basis. Cannot argue with that choice one bit. IT all depends on which 1911 you get. There are lots of good options out there, not heard much about factory parts failing from normal use. For your price range when it comes to a 1911, Id go with a ruger, remington, or springfield. I know some would say rock river, but personally, I am not a fan.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why do you want someone to convince you to carry a 1911?

Shoot one and see if you like the way it shoots. If you like the way the Glock feels, go with it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My first CCW was a G19. I really liked it. I stupidly sold it thinking I needed something smaller. Highly recommend it as a first carry piece. Of course, that being said, gettin a 1911 next week.

Top Bottom