• Jim5528

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Considering a new 12ga O/U shotgun.
    I am looking for advice or suggestions on a new 12ga O/U shotgun to shoot trap.
    I would like a good gun but don’t want to break the bank buying one.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Mossy 500, or Remington 870

Can't go wrong with either, I have a Mossy and love it, never had any issues, but I wont deny the 870 if a blast to shoot either!

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    O/U Shotgun

I would suggest a used Browning Citori or a Ruger Red Label
    Both are very fine weapons
    The new Browning Cynergy is nice but I think its overpriced
    I own the Citori and love it
    If You are looking for an even cheaper model remington has a new O/U out ( cant remember the name right now ) or the Turkish models
    I would stay away from the Chinese O/U but thats just my opnion

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Bshaw hit it on the head, the Citori line is excellent (number one in my book), and if you are patient you can find a deal here and there, because they are not inexpensive. Another option that I have not shot, but held and seemed well balanced, is the Mossberg Silver Reserve. Seemed like a really nice piece for the money, and I have always had good encounters with Mossberg.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    I love my Rem870. I picked it up for $260 with a +2 included in the deal. I have a few friends that have Moss, the like them also. I personally like the Remington name when it comes to long guns.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Considering a new 12ga O/U shotgun.
    I am looking for advice or suggestions on a new 12ga O/U shotgun to shoot trap.
    I would like a good gun but don’t want to break the bank buying one.

Saw some O/Us (maybe used) at the gun shop in Sheridan.Don't know if any were trap models.
    Also heard the gun club at Fortville? or they may have moved had lots of used trap guns.
    Neighbor had and 870 TC for $800 I think, if your not set on a O/U.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was at Dicks in castleton the other day. They had 3 or 4 O/U on display with used tags. I asked the guy why they said used and he said they were either small blems or returns for issues that Dicks had to send back to have factory serviced. They were really nice looking. You might try calling and seeing what they were.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have shot a Browning Citori and a Ruger Red Label. I preferred the Citori but a buddy of mine like the Ruger a lot and got one. Although I have to admit that I like my Superposed more than either.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Head over to the Indiana Gun Club, and talk to Steve and Phillip, and try one out. I have Brownings, Berettas, and a few old doubles, if you want to try them, give me a PM. Nothing finer that beautiful gun you can shoot well!

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Head over to the Indiana Gun Club, and talk to Steve and Phillip, and try one out. I have Brownings, Berettas, and a few old doubles, if you want to try them, give me a PM. Nothing finer that beautiful gun you can shoot well!

Indiana Gun Club, but I don't think Phillip has much in stock yet. Veldon and Steve have retired and Phil just took it over. I read that he just finally got his FFL license in the past week, so don't know what kind of stock they have yet. Lot's of people like the Browning models, they have a good reputation and will hold up well. If you are going to shoot a lot of trap, then I would stay away from lesser guns. They just won't hold up to the thousands of rounds you put down the tube. Myself, I don't get along with brownings at all. They just don't feel good to me, but they do to a whole lot of people. I've owned all the big name guns at one time or another, and now I shoot a Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon Grade Xtrap. Love the Beretta and you can get cheaper models that are the exact same mechanically but don't have the engraving or the pretty wood but they are good guns. Handle a bunch of them and you will find the one that needs to go home with you. The gun itself will tell you...... Kong

volsfandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Swayzee
    gotta go with the Red Label if you can. I love 'em. A buddy of mine got a mossberg o/u from wal mart, pretty cheap and it seems like a pretty good pigeon popper. Just my opinion though. You just gotta find something comfy thats on target when it hits your shoulder.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    If you want a budget price trap gun, consider the Stoger Condor Competition. I recently ordered one through Dicks. For under $600 it is quite nice. 30" ported barrels, screw in choke tubes (Invector, so they are easily available) adjustable comb, 1/2" wide rib. NO, it's not a Ruger or Browning and the action is stiff but it is smoothing out after a few rounds. I had been using a 500 Mossy but wanted an O/U and couldn't affort $1200 or so. I think it is a bargin for the occasional clay shooter.
    Send me a PM if you would like to meet up at MCFG some Thursday night and try it.

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    I would go with a Krieghoff K-80

Had one, a combo 34" unsingle, 32" O/U...... Had a soft touch stock on it, fully adjustable. Couldn't shoot it at all.... I tried for a yr. just because I always wanted one, but it wasn't for me. I always liked Ljutic. Made in USA too....Ugly but I could shoot the hell out of that gun.....

ONESHOT101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    :welcome:Remington auto with gas operated action you will be able to shoot alot :ar15:and save the shoulder. My personal favorite.

Top Bottom