• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Is anyone here good with small engines? I have a Cub Cadet rider with 16.5Hp Briggs. I was mowing the other day and the engine slowed down and then puffed smoke then died. Will not crank now seams like it has seized up for some reason. It has plunty of oil for i check it before I mow everytime. Does anyone have any Idea why this happened and do you think a rebuild is worth while?

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    I tried to rotate the engine with my hands and it move slightly then stops and makes a metal on metal sound when it hits the spot it wont move anymore

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Yes, the oil is now black. Looks like it has not been changed in awhile it was changed in late march of this year, but no gas in the oil that i could tell.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    ok, is the oil level too full? if you can't see any gas in it can you smell any? also check and make sure your spark plug isn't gummed up from extra carbon if it's burning oil. Did you use the recommended oil for your engine and were you mowing on an incline?

Sorry just helps paint a picture.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Its fine thank you for your help. No incline, i am perty sure it is at the recommend level. The plug was kinda gummed up I will take picture when i get home and post it. I did not smell gas. And I always use the recommended oil for it.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I have an uncle that is retired - he is dubbed the 'lawn mower man' his main hobby is fixing small engines - if you need to have it looked at cheap, PM me and I'll get you in contact with him.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Its fine thank you for your help. No incline, i am perty sure it is at the recommend level. The plug was kinda gummed up I will take picture when i get home and post it. I did not smell gas. And I always use the recommended oil for it.

Well that's all good, I would say take a wire brush to the spark plug and see what happens? It doesn't fire at all? If it doesn't fire at all do you know how to check if the plug has spark?

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Yes, i know how to check for spark. Im worried about it being stuck. Should I try WD40 in the cylinder and try to break it loose with wrench and breaker bar or would I be better off tearing it down?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Yes, i know how to check for spark. Im worried about it being stuck. Should I try WD40 in the cylinder and try to break it loose with wrench and breaker bar or would I be better off tearing it down?

I would tear it down. It seized for a reason if you try cranking on it it could cause more/sever damage then what you have. Good thing is it is easy to tear the head off of those and the side of the crank case.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Pull the shroud & check for blocked ot restricted cooling fins.
    Pretty easy for the cooling fins to clog up full of grass clipings & whatever else gets kicked up in the air while mowing & get pulled into the flywheel.
    Doesn't matter how clean the oil is or how often it;s checked....if the cooling fins are restricted heat will kill a small engine.

Top Bottom